How Did Mike Richards Do as Host?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rate Mike Richards on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is best

6%
No votes
1%
3%
11%
31%
26%
11%
5%
5%

Total votes: 87

alietr
Site Admin

How Did Mike Richards Do as Host?

Post by alietr »

How do you think Mike Richards did as host?
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: How Did Mike Richards Do as Host?

Post by brick »

I liked him quite a lot. I thought he understood and respected the rhythm of the game and made very few attempts to insert his personality. He was there to serve the players and the game. That's what I'm looking for. Biggest thing he would need to work on, which is hard, is learning how to manage the contestant interviews. He didn't seem comfortable bring stories to a close when it was warranted... although I don't have the sense that we missed out on clues as a result, which is one of the things that matter a lot to me.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

5/10 on Mike for me. Nice guy, but I felt like I was listening to a businessman try to pitch sales towards me. His particular way of penalizing people on wrong answers and how odd his timing was doing it also kinda threw me in for a loop. I'd prefer if he just stayed as executive producer, and if he got the permanent gig as host I can't say I'd be very thrilled at all. It would probably take me a while to accept him.

Edit: ok turns out he's not even a nice guy lmao glad this dude got canned
Last edited by finishemzoe on Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
Leander

Post by Leander »

I thought Mike would be better suited to a different type of game show and I rated him a bit below Ken. Somehow I found the game choppier with him as host, but maybe it was editing going on?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

finishemzoe wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:34 pm 5/10 on Mike for me. Nice guy, but I felt like I was listening to a businessman try to pitch sales towards me.
Not a bad way to phrase it, though I might give him a 6. Instead of just facilitating the game play, to me he seemed very determined to be the Host with a capital "H". Some of patter seemed a little glib at times.

Adequately watchable and no major turnoffs, but could have been better.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
brick

Post by brick »

I guess the contrast for me, with Ken, was that I felt the whole time like Ken was resisting the urge to coach the players.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

7 for me. Good host, but thought he was trying way too hard with the kumbaya stuff. A little bit goes a long way.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

It took me watching the first game with Katie Couric to figure out what bothered me with Mike. Katie is very comfortable on camera. Mike looked uncomfortable the whole time. To some extent, Ken had the same problem - not entirely comfortable - although I think he got better as his time progressed. I think that was the biggest turn off for me with Mike. He respected the game very well, read the clues at a good pace, and was fine managing the game. But he just felt out of place at the host podium. He made me a bit uncomfortable watching him on TV. 6/10 from me.
--Peter
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I gave him a 6. Like others, I thought he seemed to be trying too hard at times. Repeating the closing message ten times was a bit much. A bit unfair to compare him to Ken since Ken had 30 episodes and had more time to grow into the job while Mike only had ten.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

7. Seemed to be trying a bit too hard at times, not enough at others. He seems like someone who at least knows what makes a good host, but doesn't quite have the knack to consistently pull it off himself.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

5 though hesitated over giving 6. As others have said, he felt like he was trying too hard and needed to dial down a few notches. His "be kind" speech at the end was a nice tribute in theory but felt clunky the first time (reading from a script rather than a heartfelt sentiment) and after the second time I changed channels before he could get to it. Ken's "Thank you, Alex" felt natural and appropriate in contrast - and Ken has said that was Richards' suggestion!

Having read Richards' interview, I believe in his respect for and commitment to the show, but he is much better off behind the scenes as EP.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I found his inflection on "noooo" to be very grating.
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

My biggest gripe was that his closing took way too much time. Ken kept it nice and short by thanking Alex since they've known each other for 16 years.
Just a person who loves game shows.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

"We were looking for..." after every triple stumper was getting on my nerves. Katie seems to have the same habit. Overall I think he was watchable.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Bumping this thread as well in light of the Skeletons of August.

Looks like I didn't bother to rate him or comment at the time, but my initial impression was favorable--largely because I thought he was heroically stepping into the breach. I'm a sucker for "the show must go on" line, and I found him perfectly acceptable as a placeholder.

Now, I see that his personality and attitude, whether as host or EP, are a poor fit for a show that values its integrity, showcases ordinary people, and promotes intellectual curiosity.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

DBear wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:56 pm thought he was trying way too hard with the kumbaya stuff. A little bit goes a long way.
Now we know that was a warning sign that Mike was trying to be something he wasn't. Oof.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

squarekara wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:42 pm
Now, I see that his personality and attitude, whether as host or EP, are a poor fit for a show that values its integrity, showcases ordinary people, and promotes intellectual curiosity.
The part about requiring fancier dress for the show as well as the reported usage of talent agencies for contestant stand out for me. I'm of modest means; I already had to decline one in person audition because I had recently lost my job and just couldn't do it at the time (if I got the call from Culver City, I would find a way get there one way or the other). I have one nice suit and that's it. I can't afford a full wardrobe for a week's worth of taping. I get why the show only had to go with Southern California contestants at a point due to pandemic restrictions, but that strikes me as the kind of thing Richards would have been just fine with going forward.

I'm a sucker for contestants of ordinary, blue collar jobs. If someone is introduced as a cashier, mail carrier, etc., I'm probably rooting for them that day. I don't think Richards understands that dynamic.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:44 am
The part about requiring fancier dress for the show as well as the reported usage of talent agencies for contestant stand out for me. I'm of modest means; I already had to decline one in person audition because I had recently lost my job and just couldn't do it at the time (if I got the call from Culver City, I would find a way get there one way or the other). I have one nice suit and that's it. I can't afford a full wardrobe for a week's worth of taping. I get why the show only had to go with Southern California contestants at a point due to pandemic restrictions, but that strikes me as the kind of thing Richards would have been just fine with going forward.

I'm a sucker for contestants of ordinary, blue collar jobs. If someone is introduced as a cashier, mail carrier, etc., I'm probably rooting for them that day. I don't think Richards understands that dynamic.
Same here. I know that super-smart people tend to have jobs that require you to be super-smart, like getting a PhD at Yale.

But you can be a knowledgeable person and have a regular job.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:20 am
Ironhorse wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:44 am

Same here. I know that super-smart people tend to have jobs that require you to be super-smart, like getting a PhD at Yale.

But you can be a knowledgeable person and have a regular job.
Historically, J! Has definitely emphasized that point with their contestant selection. I am quite sure that the contestant pool is rich with lawyers, doctors and PhDs. I don’t know how much pull the EP has to change that dynamic.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They are limited in choosing among whoever takes the test. I imagine some people may feel they aren’t worthy to be on the show. “I’m a transit cop, how can I compete?”.

If I want to broaden the appeal, I would put together a montage of Johnny announcing jobs from non-traditional J fields.

“A garbage collector…a cab driver…a grocery merchandiser…a school bus driver…a mechanic…”. Then use that in the next ad for the on line test. They still must pass the test, but maybe more apply.