Friday, March 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, March 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:52 pm
floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:32 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:21 pm
floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:12 pm Probably because the state of Washington isn't known for its battle sites.
I seem to recall a pretty prominent late 19th century battle in Montana.
Dude! Little Bighorn is almost 600 miles from the closest point in the state of Washington.
The point isn't the fact that the distance from that battle site to Washington state is much longer than. 50 miles. The point is that not accurately defining the key location in the clue, whether intentional or not, gives the contestants' minds the opportunity to wander to that part of the country, and when put on a time limit, that could be the difference in the game.

IMO, the clue made me and possibly others have to consider whether they meant any number of places named "Washington", when it may not have been the clue writers' intention to disrupt the mental pathways needed to solve this clue. To me, the gymnastics required in the clue were math based on McKinley's presidency and his age at the time of said battle, plus identifying a site with an Algonquin name, as well as important enough to have gone down in the annals of American history.

In the end, my point is: shouldn't they have added the "D.C."? If it messes with the length of the clue, how about "the capital" or "the White House"? Why be vague enough to cause problems, whether intentional or not?
I agree that nothing would be harmed by adding the D.C. but I also think it's reasonable that it may not have occurred to them that this would trouble anyone. Mentioning 8 Presidents traveling to a particular location, I thought it was pretty obvious that they're referring to something in close proximity to Washington D.C. Not to say you're wrong for not seeing it that way but I think there is enough there that it's reasonble to expect any given player to fill in the blanks and parse it as D.C.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Thank you Katie for the detailed explanation at the reveal. At least I know that my total made up WAG of Chickamonga was cromulent. I'm sure the writers provided the intel, but we've been left in the dark before by AT many times. This FJ was ungettable to me, if I finally remember Antietam, it doesn't sound Native American to me. Maybe Dutch?

Dave gets a do-over in the morning after being drubbed for 27 minutes. I hope he gets back to yesterday's mojo.

I remember Jim Abbot, but the name was long gone from my attic. Definitely a TOC level clue.

Dave seems to know his geography. I'm sure he'd like some more map clues with countries blanked out.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:12 pm Probably because the state of Washington isn't known for its battle sites.
In a pig's eye, it's not!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

That snaps a streak of correct FJs for me, at 16. Battles aren't a strong subject for me.

I precalled Herbert Hoover for the Grant Wood category.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

43R. 3/4 on big clues. Missed Hoover and said Carter. Really bad guess and now I'll go review Presidential Birthplaces. For FJ my first thought was Gettysburg but that definitely didn't sound Algonquin and my next thought was Antietam. Maryland is close to Washington DC, close enough.

For the clue "The motto of the British circle of these performers is "Indocilis Privata Loqui" ("not apt to disclose secrets")" I missed and guessed Mimes.

Dave played really well yesterday but didn't play the same way today. I wonder if he had an adrenaline dump when he started playing or after winning and wasn't able to think clearly after. Looking forward to see him play again on Monday to see how he does. Keith is probably kicking himself over his wager.

Did really poorly at the beginning of double jeopardy. Went 0/5 on Before & After.

I finally got Edith Piaf. I missed Mason Weems again so that's going to stick now. Also missed Jim Abbott and Captain Morgan. I should get those ones next time.

I was pronouncing Thunberg wrong. Now I know.
Volante wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:30 pm
Is the state of Washington responsible for keeping the apples potatoes out of the pigs?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:02 pm
Is the state of Washington responsible for keeping the apples potatoes out of the pigs?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War_(1859)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I had Antietam for FJ and my wife had Appomattox. I thought I was correct, but it certainly wouldn't have surprised me if Appomattox had been correct. Of course we've been over this recently that the actual battle was at Appomattox Court House (and it's considerably more than 50 miles from Washington, but I wasn't certain how far away it actually is).

For the record I live in Washington State and didn't even consider for a millisecond that the Washington being referred to was anything other than D.C.
davey

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:11 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:52 pm
floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:32 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:21 pm
I seem to recall a pretty prominent late 19th century battle in Montana.
Dude! Little Bighorn is almost 600 miles from the closest point in the state of Washington.
The point isn't the fact that the distance from that battle site to Washington state is much longer than. 50 miles. The point is that not accurately defining the key location in the clue, whether intentional or not, gives the contestants' minds the opportunity to wander to that part of the country, and when put on a time limit, that could be the difference in the game.

IMO, the clue made me and possibly others have to consider whether they meant any number of places named "Washington", when it may not have been the clue writers' intention to disrupt the mental pathways needed to solve this clue. To me, the gymnastics required in the clue were math based on McKinley's presidency and his age at the time of said battle, plus identifying a site with an Algonquin name, as well as important enough to have gone down in the annals of American history.

In the end, my point is: shouldn't they have added the "D.C."? If it messes with the length of the clue, how about "the capital" or "the White House"? Why be vague enough to cause problems, whether intentional or not?
I agree that nothing would be harmed by adding the D.C. but I also think it's reasonable that it may not have occurred to them that this would trouble anyone. Mentioning 8 Presidents traveling to a particular location, I thought it was pretty obvious that they're referring to something in close proximity to Washington D.C. Not to say you're wrong for not seeing it that way but I think there is enough there that it's reasonble to expect any given player to fill in the blanks and parse it as D.C.
It's hard to see what the point would be of saying a battle was 50 miles from Washington State. 50 miles from Seattle, or Tacoma, or Spokane, maybe...I agree, this is not a problem they would have anticipated. "Washington" is meant to situate the response in a small geographic area in the east, without giving away the state...
I floundered for some seconds, but when I concentrated on the possible state and thought of Maryland, Antietam came right behind (though I think it sounds more like Dutch, too...)
I always thought a "trust fall" was a "trust exercise," but I'm not finding much that suggests they are exact synonyms. One for the judges?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

davey wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:29 pm I always thought a "trust fall" was a "trust exercise," but I'm not finding much that suggests they are exact synonyms. One for the judges?
Have any of the guest hosts given a be more specific?

I think they probably wanted trust fall. Should get a BMS.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:59 pm I think the correct version of the phrase is stamping ground.
I've never heard of an "old stamping ground," but I guess it's possible.

edit: according to this, the term "stamping ground" is older, but "stomping ground" has been in use in the U.S. since the 1840s: https://grammarist.com/idiom/stomping-g ... ng-ground/
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Is this like "champing at the bit", which I now see people rendering as "chomping at the bit"?
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Mark me down for Appomattox for FJ.

Today's game was a classic case of two players very close to each other going into FJ and the third place player way back, betting conservatively on FJ and hoping the other two would wager big and miss, which is exactly what happened.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Except since there weren't any battles, there were no battle sites.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:08 pm Thank you Katie for the detailed explanation at the reveal. At least I know that my total made up WAG of Chickamonga was cromulent. I'm sure the writers provided the intel, but we've been left in the dark before by AT many times. This FJ was ungettable to me, if I finally remember Antietam, it doesn't sound Native American to me. Maybe Dutch?
Probably still would have negged you , as it's Chickmauga.

Antietam definitely doesn't sound Dutch to me and ik spreek een beetje Nederlands.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:10 pm Probably still would have negged you, as it's Chickmauga.
Possibly, but I think I heard Katie say "Chickamonga" when she said it!
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:25 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:10 pm Probably still would have negged you, as it's Chickmauga.
Possibly, but I think I heard Katie say "Chickamonga" when she said it!
Yes, she inserts an n sound in Chickamauga.
But at least she was able to see what Dave was ("maybe") aiming for...Oddly, when she says Appomattox the closed captioner renders it as alphametrics...!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Maybe she's getting it confused with Rancho Cucamonga. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got FJ on guess. I considered Manassas but decided that wouldn’t be it since the official (Yankee) name is the Battle of Bull Run. Antietam didn’t really sound Native American to me but it was the best I could do.

The state of Washington never crossed my mind. McKinley was in the Civil War (last president to do so) and I doubt he ever made it to the west coast. I think Harding was the first to do so.

A $4,400 winning total isn’t great for charity but it’s better than $100 if Dave had gone all in.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I've added a note in the FJ! round for Katie's "chickamonga".
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:49 am Is this like "champing at the bit", which I now see people rendering as "chomping at the bit"?
Opposite for me. J! is literally the only place I've ever seen it written as "champing".