Monday, March 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:04 pm
Robert K S wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:14 pm "That place in The Hunger Games that starts with 'Pan'" is as far as I got

Have not read the books

Have not seen the movies
Yeah, pretty much exactly this for me, too. Sort of surprised it was a triple get.
This is going to be a fun poll question - "I got "Pan", and then some other shit after that" :lol:

I have watched a couple of the movies and we quit on the third one for being too depressing and sad. No way I remember the locale, and I'm sure that book readers had a strong edge on this clue. Will one of the board etymologists explain if "Panem" is just a derivative of the bread part, or does it somehow include the circus? This can wait on Opus when he returns, lol...

I loved Katie's excitement when Kathleen got the first DD. They really edited it hard, I wonder why they didn't just leave it or cut it completely.

Still angry that Pluto got Planet status for 76 years. The damn rock is 17 degrees off the plane of the ecliptic :evil:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:19 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:04 pm Yeah, pretty much exactly this for me, too. Sort of surprised it was a triple get.
I always thought the "pan" in Panem stood for "all" because my understanding was that the country was supposed to be the entire North American continent.
I thought the same thing. Sort of like Pangaea. I'm sure I've heard the "panem et circenses" thing at some point, but I never would have connected it to The Hunger Games.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:30 pm
Robert K S wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:19 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:04 pm Yeah, pretty much exactly this for me, too. Sort of surprised it was a triple get.
I always thought the "pan" in Panem stood for "all" because my understanding was that the country was supposed to be the entire North American continent.
I thought the same thing. Sort of like Pangaea. I'm sure I've heard the "panem et circenses" thing at some point, but I never would have connected it to The Hunger Games.
Perhaps all is what President Snow and his ilk think it means, but Suzanne Collins has other ideas.
I'm not a big fan, barely got through the first book, but I have seen the movies...
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I was gratified to see that my FJ guess of PanCircassia brings up "About 1 results" in a Google search. I'll look on the bright side and be glad I was not on the show for this.

Fordham's most successful football coach, Jim Crowley (known as "Destruction" in dramatic lore), has the distinction of having been coached by Knute Rockne and in his turn coaching Vince Lombardi.
I'm smart and I want respect.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I was very confused by the clue about Yellow Submarine referring to the Beatles as The Four Lads. Is no one on the Jeopardy writing team aware that there was a singing group in the 1950s and 1960s called The Four Lads? Do the writers not review the game as a team anymore?

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:29 pm
Will one of the board etymologists explain if "Panem" is just a derivative of the bread part, or does it somehow include the circus?
Panis is the nominative word for bread. Panem is the accusative form of panis. You use the accusative form to state a noun as a direct object. If you were going to say bread is something, you would use panis. If you were going to say they gave the people bread and circuses, you would use panem.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Turned into a great game, with a nice comeback back Kathleen and savvy wagers from the trailers. Got to a FJ solve thanks to "pan," which shook something loose in my memory.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Picked Off wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:30 am Turned into a great game, with a nice comeback back Kathleen and savvy wagers from the trailers. Got to a FJ solve thanks to "pan," which shook something loose in my memory.
Two out of three were good enough, but I wouldn't call Dave's wager savvy.
theFJguy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:32 pm Dave Pai: 15600+5801=21401
Kathleen McNutt: 9400+6201=15601
Tom Duffey: 21400+10000=31400
Imagine a triple miss. Compare Dave's final score against Tom's. Then further imagine that Dave instead attempted to cover Kathleen by $1.

The only benefit of the doubt I can offer Dave is that maybe Tom was a holdover from the previous taping and saw Dave win betting $0 from a trailing position, so perhaps he was guarding against a potential assumption by Tom that he'd go small ($4,000 or less).
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

floridagator wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:43 am I was very confused by the clue about Yellow Submarine referring to the Beatles as The Four Lads. Is no one on the Jeopardy writing team aware that there was a singing group in the 1950s and 1960s called The Four Lads?
Some might simply mark this as a generational divide and shrug it off, explaining that the younger writers today are as disconnected from The Four Lads as older viewers today are disconnected from Lil Baby, Cardi B, and The Weeknd. But it's not quite so easy to dismiss a pop culture lapse involving The Four Lads. The singing group They Might Be Giants, which reached its greatest popularity in the early 1990s, had as one of its most distinctive hits a cover version of "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)", which first became a hit when performed decades earlier by The Four Lads.

On the other hand, maybe it was a deliberate misdirection, in which case we may soon see a clue beginning "With their moptop hairdos, these singers..." and find out that the writers wanted us to respond with "Oasis" instead of "The Beatles".
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:25 pm
Picked Off wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:30 am Turned into a great game, with a nice comeback back Kathleen and savvy wagers from the trailers. Got to a FJ solve thanks to "pan," which shook something loose in my memory.
Two out of three were good enough, but I wouldn't call Dave's wager savvy.
theFJguy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:32 pm Dave Pai: 15600+5801=21401
Kathleen McNutt: 9400+6201=15601
Tom Duffey: 21400+10000=31400
Imagine a triple miss. Compare Dave's final score against Tom's. Then further imagine that Dave instead attempted to cover Kathleen by $1.

The only benefit of the doubt I can offer Dave is that maybe Tom was a holdover from the previous taping and saw Dave win betting $0 from a trailing position, so perhaps he was guarding against a potential assumption by Tom that he'd go small ($4,000 or less).
You're right. I went back and looked and he overwagered there for sure.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Tom vaguely reminded me of an actor who was pretty ubiquitous in the 50s through 70s, but it took me most of the episode to place him. Anyone else get a little bit of a John Hoyt reminder?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0398466/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
(251 acting credits)
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Xu Donym wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:06 pm
floridagator wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:43 am I was very confused by the clue about Yellow Submarine referring to the Beatles as The Four Lads. Is no one on the Jeopardy writing team aware that there was a singing group in the 1950s and 1960s called The Four Lads?
Some might simply mark this as a generational divide and shrug it off, explaining that the younger writers today are as disconnected from The Four Lads as older viewers today are disconnected from Lil Baby, Cardi B, and The Weeknd. But it's not quite so easy to dismiss a pop culture lapse involving The Four Lads. The singing group They Might Be Giants, which reached its greatest popularity in the early 1990s, had as one of its most distinctive hits a cover version of "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)", which first became a hit when performed decades earlier by The Four Lads.

On the other hand, maybe it was a deliberate misdirection, in which case we may soon see a clue beginning "With their moptop hairdos, these singers..." and find out that the writers wanted us to respond with "Oasis" instead of "The Beatles".
The Beatles are frequently referred to as the "Lads from Liverpool", and there were 4 of them.
joepozz
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by joepozz »

mahatma wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:25 pm
AntmanB wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:36 pm Fun fact: Fordham Dosent Play Sports in the Patriot league Except for Football, They Play in the Atlantic 10. so technically they are in The Patriot league.
I said Fordham out loud at home, but probably would've clammed on the show for this reason.
I'm a Fordham grad, so I obviously nailed it. Also, a big Dittohead and a Trekker, so I loved seeing the Rush Limbaugh and Star Trek clues in the same game.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Sounds like I'm an odd duck out. I got FJ instantly, but couldn't for the life of me pull the name of the book/movies. All I could come up with was Mockingjay. I'm also odd in that read all three books and saw all three movies - and liked them. Who doesn't like a good dystopian tale?
--Peter
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:15 pm Add me to the sad list of knowing Hunger Games, knowing it started with "Pan", but not getting there.
Aye. Great start to Katie’s second week, though.

9/10 (A-)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

floridagator wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:43 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:29 pm
Will one of the board etymologists explain if "Panem" is just a derivative of the bread part, or does it somehow include the circus?
Panis is the nominative word for bread. Panem is the accusative form of panis. You use the accusative form to state a noun as a direct object. If you were going to say bread is something, you would use panis. If you were going to say they gave the people bread and circuses, you would use panem.
FG, thank you for the enlightenment. It's a cinch that nobody is expected to get it just by parsing the declensions(?) of the noun and figuring out that circuses were not included. You remember enough to match it to the book/movie venue and you get it. Nobody is getting it without seeing the term in the fictional work, and lots of us are missing it in spite of being exposed to it :(.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Haven't seen that Family Guy episode.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Albrecht Durer, Peterhof, Grambling, (Booster)
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:41 am 59 R (Haven't seen that Family Guy episode.)
Too bad you didn't guess the most famous "right-wing radio host" of all, who died just days before the clue aired....Perfection so close!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:54 pm I missed the Dexter clue. I thought it was only on Showtime but it looks like it's been more widely distributed to other services now. I'll start watching that.
I'd recommend against it. One of the most poorly written shows I've ever seen. Season 1 wasn't terrible although the twists were ridiculous or predictable, sometimes both. I kept watching because I figured it might shake off those freshman jitters and find its voice. Also, I'd heard that John Lithgow had a terrific turn in Season 4. So I watched through the end of S4 as the show got worse and worse. The main plot involving Dexter became laughable and inconherent while the subplots involving the other characters descended into pure soap opera. Lithgow did a good job with the material he was given, but the character was not consistently written. S4 continued the tradition of S2 and S3 of appearing to bring in a new team of writers every second or third episode and giving them 24 hours to familiarize themselves with the show before starting on the next installment.