Friday, March 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Friday, March 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:43 pm
I think Nick didn't get the category (I believe he started at the bottom with this clue). I haven't been to Cooperstown, but I guess there is a motto/epitaph on each plaque. Babe Ruth certainly made the game explode, much like Arnie and Tiger in golf. The Honus Wagner guess just comes from the fact that (may not still be true) his playing card was/is the most expensive collector item - I think there are six of them in existence and they came in a tobacco tin. Update - I tried to confirm this and the wiki is a hot mess, but TIL that Wayne Gretzky bought one for $450K and sold it later to WalMart for $500K.
I think it was more buzzer before brain. I did the same thing, but I knew exactly what the gimmick of the clue was too. Once marked wrong and given time to think about it, I realized my error.

Also, most expensive baseball card now is the '52 Mantle rookie, surpassing the Trout Superfractor.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The LEGO Batman Movie (7), Carnage (7), Baywatch (5), Tenet (10)

A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Drawing card is an entirely common phrase, used well beyond the sports world, for someone or something that attracts an audience (or just attention). I'm really surprised that folks here are claiming to be unfamiliar with it.

As for Dr. Quack, he has no business hosting a show about facts. I'll find something else to do during those five hours.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I hope everyone boycotting Dr. Oz didn’t laugh at the “snowflakes” who refused to watch Couric.

My local station didn’t carry it due to basketball. Then my go to source from the bottom of the world got blocked by Sony. So I had to watch it on another YouTube channel with the jumpy camera they use to avoid copyright issues. Gave me a headache to watch but it was my only choice to see the actual game.

I got FJ after considering Van Gogh. I also clammed on Ruth because why is the most famous player ever in the bottom row?

For 144 inch guy, if you watch the HOF inductions, the commissioner will read what is printed on the plaque. Generally it is a paragraph or so that summarizes his career. What we saw on here was just a few words of what is written.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:41 am
I got FJ after considering Van Gogh. I also clammed on Ruth because why is the most famous player ever in the bottom row?
I clammed, too. I think I would have guessed Ruth on a Daily Double, but the clue just didn't resonate with me immediately.

A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Bamaman wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:41 am
I hope everyone boycotting Dr. Oz didn’t laugh at the “snowflakes” who refused to watch Couric.
I'm sorry, but this is an absurd comparison. Couric has occasionally expressed opinions that people disagreed with. Oz has built his career on promoting fraudulent and potentially dangerous medical treatments, including for Covid.

I am looking forward to Aaron Rodgers. See y'all in two weeks.

rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Katie’s tenure ends with an easy FJ! that I was able to get within a second.

8/10 (B)

Up next is Dr. Oz.
I’ve made a new life over here.

https://tripleatpir.wordpress.com/

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

This is the text from Babe Ruth's Hall of Fame plaque (actually in all caps, but I've put it in sentence case for easier reading):

George Herman (Babe) Ruth
Boston-New York, A.L.; Boston, N.L.
1914-1935
Greatest drawing card in history of baseball. Holder of many home run and other batting records. Gathered 714 home runs in addition to fifteen in World Series.

More recent Hall of Fame plaques tend to have more text on them. The Hall of Fame's website shows the plaques of all the inductees on their individual pages.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Interesting it doesn’t mention he was a very good pitcher. His proudest achievement was holding the record for longest World Series scoreless streak.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:19 pm
Interesting it doesn’t mention he was a very good pitcher. His proudest achievement was holding the record for longest World Series scoreless streak.
Plaques were more flowery in the old days:
https://tht.fangraphs.com/hall-of-fame- ... -the-time/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The LEGO Batman Movie (7), Carnage (7), Baywatch (5), Tenet (10)

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

trainman wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:03 pm
This is the text from Babe Ruth's Hall of Fame plaque (actually in all caps, but I've put it in sentence case for easier reading):

George Herman (Babe) Ruth
Boston-New York, A.L.; Boston, N.L.
1914-1935
Greatest drawing card in history of baseball. Holder of many home run and other batting records. Gathered 714 home runs in addition to fifteen in World Series.

More recent Hall of Fame plaques tend to have more text on them. The Hall of Fame's website shows the plaques of all the inductees on their individual pages.
Let's not forget that Ruth was part of the first class inducted, so in a sense this inscription was a first cut.
OCSam

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

I see Pedro Martinez pitched in an era of "high octane" offense. Well, why not? It's perfectly legal.

The plaques used to not mention awards won. I thought that was a good policy; one's election should be based on achievements, not honors gathered.

I'd also prefer plaques not be updated; it takes away from their museum quality.
I'm smart and I want respect.

yclept
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by yclept »

In the end, Katie was fine. I wouldn’t give her the gig, but she did a nice job.

I know Dr. Oz has sold out. I know that on a game like Jeopardy, you want a host that doesn’t have his reputation. But I am just here to watch the games and see how he does within the context of Jeopardy.

AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AFRET CMS »

FJ seemed way too easy and way too obvious, so I rejected Picasso and then proceeded to overthink it. "Picasso? Nah... too easy. Grief = mourning = mourning colors = black. And grey? OK, how about Whistler?"

Sigh.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

1901 + color palette = Picasso with reasonable certainty.

Danmel
Contributor

Post by Danmel »

yclept wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:08 am
In the end, Katie was fine. I wouldn’t give her the gig, but she did a nice job.

I know Dr. Oz has sold out. I know that on a game like Jeopardy, you want a host that doesn’t have his reputation. But I am just here to watch the games and see how he does within the context of Jeopardy.
I totally agree. If Oz gets too cringey I'll play the games on the archive. But I'll give it at least until Thursday to see if he finds a tolerable groove.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I also didn't get to see this game, as it was preempted by basketball.

Hope there's no more of that.

Thanks to the folks who posted the game on this board.

LucarioSnooperVixey
Quizizz Jammer

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Missed WarGames.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Babe Ruth, (Andrew Jackson), Carpenter, Hunter, (Lost in Yonkers), Simon Wiesenthal

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:11 pm
59 R (Missed WarGames.)
LT: Babe Ruth, (Andrew Jackson), Carpenter, Hunter, (Lost in Yonkers), Simon Wiesenthal
I got it. ;) viewtopic.php?p=172876#p172876

Golf

Post by Golf »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:11 pm
59 R (Missed WarGames.)
MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:25 pm
I got it. ;) viewtopic.php?p=172876#p172876
No, I don't think you did. I think you told a big fat WOPR. :roll: