Monday, March 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEAREAN REFERENCES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This name given to U.K. labor strife in December 1978 & January 1979 was taken from the first line of a Shakespeare history play

Nick Cascone: 10000-9000=1000
Kathryn Peters: 16800+3201=20001 (New Champ)
David Eadington: 6000-4001=1999

Correct response:
Spoiler
Winter of Discontent (Nick – O for muse of fire) (Kathryn – the winter of our discontent) (David – crull)

Daily Doubles
Nick: 800-1000
Kathryn: 5600+2000
Nick: 4000+4000

Coryats
Nick: 8600
Kathryn: 16000
David: 6000

Combined: 30,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Nick: 3200
Kathryn: 3200
David: 1600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

One more day of WNEM airing the show early. It's back to normal timing of events tomorrow.

Since I was already sharing it with TJF here is the chat segment:

Good for doc for bringing up Nick's role in the famous movie and Mehmet went the no cards route.

Dr. Oz filled in a lot more first names than Katie did although hard to know if it was on the fly or done after the game?

Nice comeback by Nick to make the outcome in doubt for the FJ! round as he trailed 4000 to 5200 to 16800 when DD3 was found.

The FJ! category had me all set to start the week with a miss and the clue did nothing to change that. I wasted a lot of time trying to see if something from Julius Caesar might ring a bell. Nope.

To avoid a blank page I write "The Troubles" even though I knew that was all wrong.

Kathryn's response was accepted without incident and I'll let others have a pro/con over it. We have evidence the extra word was okay by the judges and no doubt that leaving off the pronoun would have been fine as well.

Dr. Oz really punched up the moment of Kathryn's win in a way it was like she had won $50K or a tournament. Jimmy K. is incapable of that on Millionaire even when someone reaches six figures.

When watching WNEM on Friday there was a short promo spot for a Stirr TV app showing J! game. Anyone have more information about that? My research turned up the app may have shown Alex's last games in January and perhaps the current games are shown a week later though only on stations that carry J! through Sinclair? It was a little confusing trying to understand it all across different forums that had tidbits about it.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I went with "toil and trouble" since it was labor strife.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Dr. Oz one is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6976

For host comments I went with Mehmet since he was introduced as Dr. Mehmet Oz. If the better or preferred option is Dr. Oz then let me know before tomorrow's game and not after 10 of his games.

Double digit incorrect responses by the players. :evil: At least all the clues were played.
Leander

Post by Leander »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:03 am

Kathryn's response was accepted without incident and I'll let others have a pro/con over it. We have evidence the extra word was okay by the judges and no doubt that leaving off the pronoun would have been fine as well.
When I saw the question in the paper this morning, I was curious how they would rule on someone just quoting the Shakespeare line. I think the writers should have worded the clue to ask for the quote, not the term used in the newspapers, to avoid any confusion.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:32 pm For host comments I went with Mehmet since he was introduced as Dr. Mehmet Oz. If the better or preferred option is Dr. Oz then let me know before tomorrow's game and not after 10 of his games.
I'd have voted for "Dr. Oz", but this is consistent with how we've done the other guest hosts. I'd say it's fine.
SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:32 pm For host comments I went with Mehmet since he was introduced as Dr. Mehmet Oz. If the better or preferred option is Dr. Oz then let me know before tomorrow's game and not after 10 of his games.
I suppose "The Wiz" would be out of the question.
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I enjoyed his first day as host. I can see an argument either way for the archive so I will stay neutral.

I don’t think he reminded Nick he could bet $1000 on DD1 when he had $800.

Blank for me on FJ. I thought of times that try men’s souls but I think that’s this side of the pond.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

These 2 weeks are going to be.....something.

Someone said on twitter that they think the first couple clues were re-dubbed.

Well hes doing better than i thought - he is reading the clues fairly quickly - but still no reason that he should have been a guest host. it was never about whatever hes lied about on his show for me, i just never thought he would be a good fit for this show, and i think i was right. but its only 1 show so we will see how the other 9 go.

the Category was Initially Yours, i think they should of Had to Say the Initials.

No clue. i dont know about Shakespeare apart form the few plays i read in High School.

Lach Trash - Kool & the Gang
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'd have gone with "absolute f@!#&ing quack", but that's just me.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

AntmanB wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:21 pm Well hes doing better than i thought - he is reading the clues fairly quickly
I'd say the same.

Now knowing the correct response, it makes complete sense, but that was never a connection I was going to make. I've never read any of Shakespeare's historicals, so I'm not familiar with the opening lines.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I don't get the choice of whether to boycott Dr. Oz or not. CBS and the NCAA have made it a moot point.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:35 pm I don't get the choice of whether to boycott Dr. Oz or not. CBS and the NCAA have made it a moot point.
For Today. Not for most of the Rest of his Run. 3/29 will also have preemptions.

Im certainly not Boycotting. ill just mute my tv.
brick

Post by brick »

I really want to see that Warhol portrait.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

A lot of his clues are re-dubbed.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

J! was pre-empted in Denver due to the grocery store shooting in Boulder that is making national news. :cry:
Played from the archive:
runs: Egg, Sleepytime, Initially, History,
DDs: :D :D :D (from Io)
trash: tween, Uggs, 40 winks DD, combat boots (that yer mutha wears :P ), Bay of Fundy, Tampa Bay, Kool & the Gang, Andy Warhol 7600
FJ: The Winter of Our Discontent. instaget :mrgreen:
An aromatherapy clue, surprise! :|
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Putting aside the pseudo science and fake cures, I thought Dr. Oz was awful but yeah ok, it was the first day. Too many speech issues for me. This guy works in TV?! Next!

So many weird triple stumpers and weird inter-game commentary from the players

Had to Google the historical reference to understand the potential controversy Mark alluded to. I would have matched the champ with “winter of our discontent”. I thought Dec/Jan might have helped the men get to the very famous line

Congrats to the champ! She was in runaway territory for a good long while. Was afraid she’d snatch defeat from the jaws of victory
Last edited by morbeedo on Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

brick wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:56 pm I really want to see that Warhol portrait.
I couldn’t believe Warhol was a TS with pop artist in the answer. Never heard of the guy the player said but he was seven the day Warhol was shot.

I don’t think I have ever watched his show or read anything about his medical advice so I am viewing him with a blank slate.