Monday, March 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by brick »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:39 pm
brick wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:56 pm I really want to see that Warhol portrait.
I couldn’t believe Warhol was a TS with pop artist in the answer. Never heard of the guy the player said but he was seven the day Warhol was shot.

I don’t think I have ever watched his show or read anything about his medical advice so I am viewing him with a blank slate.
I agree that was an embarrassing TS. Pop artist shot in ‘68... which one? C’mon!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

brick wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:54 pm
brick wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:56 pm I really want to see that Warhol portrait.
I couldn’t believe Warhol was a TS with pop artist in the answer. Never heard of the guy the player said but he was seven the day Warhol was shot.

I don’t think I have ever watched his show or read anything about his medical advice so I am viewing him with a blank slate.
I agree that was an embarrassing TS. Pop artist shot in ‘68... which one? C’mon!
Name a pop artist in the top row should be all it takes.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

"O for a muse of fire", which Nick was writing, is the opening line of Henry V. That is quite an insanely deeper cut than Richard III and impressive to have at his disposal even if it was off the mark in this case. A charitable reading of the situation would be that he knew it was almost certainly Winter of Discontent but figured that is so easy/obvoius and he needs the leader to miss so he might as well go with a more obscure response and hope it is right. Not that I think he did this but it's something that could theoretically happen.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

AntmanB wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:21 pm

the Category was Initially Yours, i think they should of Had to Say the Initials.
Agreed. Requiring the contestants to know the correct initials is the whole point of the category; otherwise, it’s a random set of clues about famous people. I’m sure Alex (or Ken, or Mike) would have asked for a BMS. Once Oz accepted the first last-name-only response, that set the bar low. Chalk it up to inexperience.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

The lack of 3+-day champs here are getting annoying.

I like Oz, but he’s not my ideal candidate.

6/10 (B-)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:03 am Dr. Oz filled in a lot more first names than Katie did although hard to know if it was on the fly or done after the game?
And yet, not Jawaharlal...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

37R. 4/4 on big clues. I didn't actually get Ionian Sea in time but I was at Io and I'm pretty sure I would have gotten it in time so I'll count it. I've read just about everything from John Steinbeck and I read Richard III at some point after reading Steinbeck's novel The Winter of Our Discontent. It wasn't an instaget but I was able to think of it and had time to write it down.

I said halfling instead of tween. Judges? One source says that halfling was originally used for awkward adolescents so it seems right to me but definitely not what they were going for.

The assay clue in the FROM A TO Y category that included a mention of metal composition really made me want to say alloy but I managed to avoid it.

Tried to go with Davy Jones Locker instead of Dead Man's Chest. That's not the first time either.

Went 0/5 on R&B & SOUL HITS. I didn't realize I was that weak in that category.

I missed M.C. Escher and said Vermeer. I got mixed up. I was trying to go for Jan Van Eyck because he was a Dutch artist famously associated with a mirror.

For improvement for next time I'll try to remember S. E. Hinton, Bicycle (The Bicycle Thief), engineer boots, and assay. Along with the R&B & Soul clues.

How does everybody feel about the film The Bicycle Thief? I haven't seen it. I usually multi-task when I watch something and so I avoid subtitled movies unless I'm really interested.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Easy FJ. I was surprised only one person knew it. Good game overall, the Warhol miss notwithstanding. Dr. Oz seemed nervous in the beginning but he was fine overall.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

SwanShadow wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:32 pm For host comments I went with Mehmet since he was introduced as Dr. Mehmet Oz. If the better or preferred option is Dr. Oz then let me know before tomorrow's game and not after 10 of his games.
I suppose "The Wiz" would be out of the question.
Nobody beats him.

I guess none of tonight's contestants remember this movie: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116594/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

Fleeboy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:46 pm

the Category was Initially Yours, i think they should of Had to Say the Initials.
Agreed. Requiring the contestants to know the correct initials is the whole point of the category; otherwise, it’s a random set of clues about famous people. I’m sure Alex (or Ken, or Mike) would have asked for a BMS. Once Oz accepted the first last-name-only response, that set the bar low. Chalk it up to inexperience.
I don't believe they've made that a requirement for what is a fairly common category. If they did, they'd announce it when the category was introduced. I had to go back a ways, but I found an example where only last name was accepted, at $400. Notice who gave the response.
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php? ... ally+yours+
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:58 pm

How does everybody feel about the film The Bicycle Thief? I haven't seen it. I usually multi-task when I watch something and so I avoid subtitled movies unless I'm really interested.
It's a moving and beautiful film. Yes, you'd have to pay attention. Nowadays it's usually referred to as Bicycle Thieves, a closer translation of the Italian.
I never heard of the Winter of Discontent, so I matched Kathryn's response. I'm glad it was accepted...
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:58 pm I said halfling instead of tween. Judges? One source says that halfling was originally used for awkward adolescents so it seems right to me but definitely not what they were going for.
Nope. “Halfling” in Tolkien is the formal name used for hobbits in the “high” cultures up such as the Elves and the Men of the West. “Tween” refers to a hobbit in his/her careless twenties before the “coming of age” at 33.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:58 pm For improvement for next time I'll try to remember S. E. Hinton, Bicycle (The Bicycle Thief), engineer boots, and assay. Along with the R&B & Soul clues.

It's worth watching, not just background noise.

Thought of this at the time too, but forgot to mention: clever writing on that one, focusing on the object to bypass the translation issue (Bicycle Thieves is the accurate translation, not The Bicycle Thief which it's more commonly known as)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Shouldn’t the judges/producers suggest that to him at the pre-production meeting? It is literally his first day on the job.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

cthulhu wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:30 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:58 pm I said halfling instead of tween. Judges? One source says that halfling was originally used for awkward adolescents so it seems right to me but definitely not what they were going for.
Nope. “Halfling” in Tolkien is the formal name used for hobbits in the “high” cultures up such as the Elves and the Men of the West. “Tween” refers to a hobbit in his/her careless twenties before the “coming of age” at 33.
Ah you're right. Thanks.

2/2 on the film recommendation. It's also available on a streaming service that I have. I'm sold.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:35 pm

Shouldn’t the judges/producers suggest that to him at the pre-production meeting? It is literally his first day on the job.
They could even have stopped taping after he listed the categories, informed him and then pick up on air with, "For initially...we need the full name" but they didn't there either, so clearly it wasn't a deal breaker.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:37 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:35 pm

They could even have stopped taping after he listed the categories, informed him and then pick up on air with, "For initially...we need the full name" but they didn't there either, so clearly it wasn't a deal breaker.
If it's what they wanted, they would have already given him the explanation to read with the category.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got spoiled on FJ during the commercial, because someone in an unrelated discussion on FB posted a screenshot of their text messages that happened to include some discussion of it. I do bear some of the blame, though, because the person did apologize for the FJ spoilers, and not seeing a day specified, I tried to glance at the screenshot to determine whether it was today's or a previous one, and "winter of our discontent" ended up being the only words I took in at that glance. I'm giving myself the benefit of the doubt on this one, though.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

brick wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:54 pm

TIL that Andy Warhol was shot. It only took 53 years to find that out. MLK, RFK, Vietnam, etc.. took his 15 minutes.

It sounds like the boardies are getting this from the literary angle instead of the current event / news angle. How do you sift and decide on an answer like that? I've heard the term/phrase but never knew it was attached to a political movement. I knew it couldn't be the Troubles, but had nothing else. I didn't even know that "historical" was a subset of Shakespeare's writings.

I'm glad Dr. Oz has a connection with Alex and is contributing to whatever re-boot comes up. He certainly isn't as polished as I expected, but it does seem a lot like first day learning curve. His accent is not hard to understand, but he seems to project a little too intensely or authoritatively. This may just take getting used to - some people don't have an inside voice, and some people can't get above a mutter when you need them to.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:21 am It sounds like the boardies are getting this from the literary angle instead of the current event / news angle. How do you sift and decide on an answer like that? I've heard the term/phrase but never knew it was attached to a political movement. I knew it couldn't be the Troubles, but had nothing else. I didn't even know that "historical" was a subset of Shakespeare's writings.
Dec+Jan = Winter. And once you make it that far, WECIB?

Heck, really, WECIB? "Call me Ishmael" Shakespeare does not exactly make... http://www.factacular.com/subjects/Shak ... ning_Lines
Twelfth Night is really the only other contender for 'memorable opening line' but tie in Olivier's performance and Richard III blows even that one away.