Tuesday, March 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE OLYMPICS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The "City of Angels" hosted the Olympics twice, the second time this many years after the first

Kathryn Peters: 5400-4270=1130
Claire Nieman: 6000-5999=1
Amal Dorai: 19600-5000=14600 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
52 (Kathryn – Los Angeles) (Claire – 64 years) (Amal – 28)

Daily Doubles
Kathryn: 4000+1000
Amal: 4600+3000
Amal: 12800+2800

Coryats
Kathryn: 5400
Claire: 6000
Amal: 17000

Combined: 28,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kathryn: 5000
Claire: 5600
Amal: 2200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Claire Nieman from spelling bee days:
Spoiler
It was only a matter of which contestant was going to neg on the ski word in "S"IX-LETTER WORDS.

Dr. Oz had some strange contestant calls today as more than once someone would ring in the host would say, "Yes, ___" instead of the usual name only.

Amal trailed in 3rd for a lot of the game. At DD2 he got himself from 3rd up to 2nd and by DD3 he was beginning his approach to the runaway.

The FJ! category had me making sure I could run as many Summer/Winter host cities in order with year as I could as a warm up exercise.

The FJ! clue had me shaking my head as it only turned out to be basic math. It's easy when there is no doubt about both years.

It becomes more difficult if one or both years are in doubt. It's extra difficult when someone cannot even process what the clue wants. Kathryn was fortunate her gaffe did not cost her anything other than pride.

This kind of FJ! clue is silly though like ones about presidents it does come up sometimes.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Frustrating.

Olympic Years was one of my earliest batches of flashcards, but I always get the earlier ones confused. I was pretty sure Los Angeles (side note, why not just say "Los Angeles"?) was the one before Berlin '36. But then I tried to be cute about it, and figured, why would they ask, unless it was a round number? So I went 84-24=60, for a completely avoidable miss.

Is there any reason Los Angeles '32 would be particularly memorable? Or this this just California Omphaloskepsis?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:55 pm Frustrating.

Olympic Years was one of my earliest batches of flashcards, but I always get the earlier ones confused. I was pretty sure Los Angeles (side note, why not just say "Los Angeles"?) was the one before Berlin '36. But then I tried to be cute about it, and figured, why would they ask, unless it was a round number? So I went 84-24=60, for a completely avoidable miss.

Is there any reason Los Angeles '32 would be particularly memorable? Or this this just California Omphaloskepsis?
This was the definition of a YEKIOYD clue.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Poorly-worded FJ clue. They're better than this.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Angel Number 52 is a message that the changes occurring will bring about improvements and positive opportunities that will benefit your life on all levels. It is a reminder from your angels to have faith and trust in yourself, your choices and who you are within. Go with the flow of the changes in your life. Or maybe they realized at the last minute that they had no FJ ready, and this was the best they could come up with on the fly. Glad it was used in a runaway game.
I'm smart and I want respect.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

bigblue999 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:13 pm Poorly-worded FJ clue. They're better than this.
:?:

Seems fairly clear and succinct to me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It is complete: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6977

Double digit wrongs again. Not that I'm one to talk the way I played, but the contestants are a little too buzzer happy.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I certainly knew the second year, having spent years eating breakfast at Cafe '84 on the USC campus. The first year? Uh, is this like George Orwell's 1984, written in 1948? Is that all I have to do?

Now that I think about it, there is a reason why I should have known it was 1932. An oft-repeated but inaccurate bit of lore about the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium (RIP) is that it was built to attract the 1932 Olympics. This could not have been the case since L.A. had already won the games months before the stadium bond issue was put to the ballot. I also had some friends in college who lived in '30s-vintage housing near the USC campus, called "Olympic Village", which I guess was built to house athletes for the Olympics, on W. Adams Gardens street off W. Adams Blvd. To this day, W. Adams Gardens is a private street. Given another 60 seconds I would have come up with the right response.

To me, schussing sounds onomatopoeic for slaloming ("schuss, schuss, schuss..."), but it means the opposite.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I don’t think it’s a bad question, but it is a bad Final Jeopardy question.

There is no perfect way to figure it out other than just knowing it, but if you recall that the Berlin games were in 1936 and WW2 canceled the 1940 and 1944 games, it gives you a fewer options to work with.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got FJ pretty quickly but I also thought it was a dumb FJ. Not sure why they didn’t just say Los Angeles.

Brotherly love should have been negged for agape.

I guess Oz decided to say “yes” before recognizing a contestant today instead of giving the first name of a response. Saves on the archive’s parentheses budget.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Austin Powers wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:11 pm I don’t think it’s a bad question, but it is a bad Final Jeopardy question.

There is no perfect way to figure it out other than just knowing it, but if you recall that the Berlin games were in 1936 and WW2 canceled the 1940 and 1944 games, it gives you a fewer options to work with.
Maybe, but yikes. 1984 I think most people know, but I don't think I knew 1932.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Got Baited into the "Slalom" Trap.

Final Jeopardy was Preempted on KTRK due to the Boulder shooting/Biden Speech, used j Archive for that.

Got final almost Immediately. I knew Los angles had it in 84, i thought the first was 32 so i just did the math. Olympics is something in my wheelhouse.
Golf

Post by Golf »

What an odd FJ. If you're decent at Sports Trivia it's cake, but as we know, most contestants fail this test. Personally, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing TPTB ramp up the knowledge needed to answer sports clues.

Admittedly, it's not Sports Trivia 101, more like Sports Trivia 201.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:37 pm What an odd FJ. If you're decent at Sports Trivia it's cake, but as we know, most contestants fail this test. Personally, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing TPTB ramp up the knowledge needed to answer sports clues.

Admittedly, it's not Sports Trivia 101, more like Sports Trivia 201.
Amal bet $5000 of actual money (since he had a lock it was real to him) so he must have felt somewhat confident in his knowledge of the Olympics. The ladies just bet big random numbers with no concern if it helped them finish in second. If Claire bets $4800 she goes home with an extra thousand in her pocket as Kathryn overbet.

I got this but it does require having to know it. Helps to be a fan of arcane facts like Olympic hosts. At least the two that didn’t misread the answer put down a multiple of four.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Easy FJ! (for a change, at least with me...)

City of Angels = L.A. Dunno why that messed with a few minds in here.

L.A. Olympics 1932, 1984. All I had to do was the math, which I did several times to make sure since I have occasionally screwed up simple math in the past. Numbers are not my friend.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:11 pm I don’t think it’s a bad question, but it is a bad Final Jeopardy question.

Which is how I lucked into it. I knew 1984, but had no clue about the first year. So, I just guessed a round number of 40. Doing the math, I realized that was 1944, so, no ... 1940, no ... 1936, Berlin, so let's go with 1932 and 52 years.
Rackme32 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:05 pm City of Angels = L.A. Dunno why that messed with a few minds in here.
It didn't mess with our minds, we just thought it was pointless. Just say "Los Angeles".
brick

Post by brick »

I lived in LA in 1984 and saw a great performance by The Groundlings that was set during the previous Olympics... so I knew it was the 30's, and Berlin in '36 is just hardwired at this point, so it had to be '32. Jokes like "Avoid the Wilshire area... all the signs for 10th St still say Olympic Blvd... it's a mess!" (The name remains Olympic Blvd to this day.)