Tuesday, March 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by brick »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:32 pm I also had some friends in college who lived in '30s-vintage housing near the USC campus, called "Olympic Village", which I guess was built to house athletes for the Olympics, on W. Adams Gardens street off W. Adams Blvd. To this day, W. Adams Gardens is a private street. Given another 60 seconds I would have come up with the right response.
In '84 the Village was at UCLA
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Tough FJ for me because I forgot that 1932 was El Lay Olympics. I knew 1984 & I should’ve remembered 1932 from Unbroken but I settled on 1948. Another one & done champ.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Brand Mascots, Bordertowns,
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: mental illness, schuss, Poland :o , Van Gogh,
FJ: Didn't know the earlier date, guessed a round number of 60 years. :(
didn't get cathedra either. :x
agree with above poster that brotherly love shoulda been negged. Brotherly love is philo, agape is divine love. :geek:
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:28 pm Brotherly love should have been negged for agape.
Agreed. If the clue were "Philia is the Christian concept of this, sometimes called fraternity" would the show accept "erotic love" as a correct response? I hope not. Otherwise, we're on a slippery slope leading to "Teddy Roosevelt" as an acceptable response for "This Depression-era 'New Deal' President."
brick

Post by brick »

DBear wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:34 pm
didn't get cathedra either. :x
As a retired Catholic with 12 years of their schooling under my belt I was frustrated I couldn't quite access that one quickly enough.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Austin Powers wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:11 pm I don’t think it’s a bad question, but it is a bad Final Jeopardy question.

There is no perfect way to figure it out other than just knowing it, but if you recall that the Berlin games were in 1936 and WW2 canceled the 1940 and 1944 games, it gives you a fewer options to work with.
This was roughly what I thought, way more "you know it or you don't" than 95% of FJ clues, was the way I described it.

It's probably slightly more askable now than say 5 years ago, since the Rams played in the Coliseum from 2016-19 so the Coliseum had a fair amount of exposure, and then with the 2028 games being awarded there has been plenty of talk about both the city and the Coliseum hosting for the 3rd time.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

What the hell kind of question (OK, answer) was that?
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

econgator wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:30 pm
Austin Powers wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:11 pm I don’t think it’s a bad question, but it is a bad Final Jeopardy question.

There is no perfect way to figure it out other than just knowing it, but if you recall that the Berlin games were in 1936 and WW2 canceled the 1940 and 1944 games, it gives you a fewer options to work with.
Which is how I lucked into it. I knew 1984, but had no clue about the first year. So, I just guessed a round number of 40. Doing the math, I realized that was 1944, so, no ... 1940, no ... 1936, Berlin, so let's go with 1932 and 52 years.
Had the same process, kind of. Started at just after WWII, counted back, wrote 40 years, crossed it out when I realized those games were canceled, and wrote 48 years when time ran out, briefly forgetting that Berlin (in)famously held the 1936 games. Not sure if I would've settled on 4 years earlier if I had more time, because I was wondering if L.A. maybe held the games very early in the 20th century. Either way, I'm not happy an Olympics category was a front for a math clue. Wasn't mentally prepared for it.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
davey

Post by davey »

People seem to be surprised that an FJ wants you to know the dates and places of the Olympics...Seems like standard J! fare to me, one of those finite bodies of facts that it would be easy to review before going on the show...Course, I haven't done that, and it's not an area I care about much, so...I still think this was easy and I should have got it, and would have if I'd made sure my response was divisible by 4... :oops: Math in an FJ always gives me fits... :roll:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ACW wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:32 pm

Maybe, but yikes. 1984 I think most people know, but I don't think I knew 1932.
Meanwhile, I started out at 1980 for some reason...36? No...that was Berlin. 32 feels right! 80-32=48! And then I relaxed... :(
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:28 pm People seem to be surprised that an FJ wants you to know the dates and places of the Olympics...Seems like standard J! fare to me, one of those finite bodies of facts that it would be easy to review before going on the show...Course, I haven't done that, and it's not an area I care about much, so...I still think this was easy and I should have got it, and would have if I'd made sure my response was divisible by 4... :oops: Math in an FJ always gives me fits... :roll:
I don't like this FJ. It's functionally two rote memory questions plus a 2nd grade arithmetic problem with a cute diversion for the name of the venue. Why not just ask for the two years that LA hosted the Olympics? It's not like the 52 year interval was significant, it is about a normal gap for a rotating mega-event (or for KC Chiefs Super Bowl wins). I tried to think of a hook (did we take an emergency substitute thing like Atlanta?), and then went to work getting 1984 the hard way. Carter's boycott for Moscow games was 1980, so we had next at 1984. What was 20 years, 1964? I think Tokyo but gotta have something and ignore the cognitive dissonance.

A better day for Mehmet. I don't pick up on the clue calling idiosyncracies. I liked his quickie color comments on some answers. Now can he explain that FJ? All I know of the 1932 games is that Jesse Owens might have partook. (nope, there were no special achievements except for Babe Didrickson's 2 golds and 1 silver. Oh, and the 3000 steeplechase went an extra lap by mistake - and I thought the Great Depression was cruel :o ).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

39R. 2/4 on big clues. Missed International Falls but I've heard of it before. Maybe it will stick now. Missed FJ, guessed 24, knew the 1984 date. I don't have all the Olympic dates memorized but I'll get that fixed. I don't think that memorizing the list of Olympic host cities is particularly enlightening but I want to win on Jeopardy!. Maybe it will be more interesting if I can pin the games to current events and trace their history that way.

Finished reading A Canticle For Leibowitz and got the canticle clue.

For the clue about a virus that causes paralysis I guessed meningitis. I should stop doing that.

Some clues that I want to get right next time are The Apostles' Creed, carpaccio, The Inklings/Oxford, Sachet/Sashay, Lord Snowdon, and the Portrait of Dr. Gachet by Van Gogh.
Spoiler

For the clue, The Inklings, including Tolkien & Lewis, were known to "draught" at the Eagle & Child Pub in this city, why was draught in quotes?
Robert K S wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:32 pm To me, schussing sounds onomatopoeic for slaloming ("schuss, schuss, schuss..."), but it means the opposite.
Thank you. That will help me remember it.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
goongas

Post by goongas »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:42 pm

This was roughly what I thought, way more "you know it or you don't" than 95% of FJ clues, was the way I described it.

It's probably slightly more askable now than say 5 years ago, since the Rams played in the Coliseum from 2016-19 so the Coliseum had a fair amount of exposure, and then with the 2028 games being awarded there has been plenty of talk about both the city and the Coliseum hosting for the 3rd time.
Knowing the sites of the Summer Olympics and the years is definitely on the list of things to know for Jeopardy!, since they come up a lot. The Winter Olympics is stretching it more, but they are fair game as well.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

bigblue999 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:13 pm Poorly-worded FJ clue. They're better than this.
It's less a poorly worded clue (pls note the hyphen is unneeded) than it is kind of pointless and silly, while still gettable if you have a head full of dates.

Christian Glossary $1K is a poorly worded clue:
A pardoner was someone who sold these to sinners, like Johann Tetzel of the Reformation era
Structured that way, it's saying Tetzel is a sinner. Better would be:
A pardoner was someone--like Johann Tetzel of the Reformation era--who sold these to sinners
No, the dashes aren't required--it reads okay without them--but I think they help a bit w/clarity.

Poll request for the sachet/sashay clue. I didn't get it in time.

LT: mental illness (assuming insanity would count), saluki, schuss, Poland, Van Gogh. Couldn't pull Snowdon in time.

As for the host, well... Meh. (I can't be the first to have said it about him.)
In and out of the pool four times
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I always remember the first LA Olympics because both the winter and summer games were in the U.S. that year with the winter games being in Lake Placid.

I don't recall ever hearing the idiom "hung the moon" before tonight.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I like how Oz used Alex's famous catchphrase, "under a minute left."

If I had gotten the Daily Double on the last clue of the Jeopardy round, I would have gone true Daily Double. And it was such an easy question too.

I had no problem with Final Jeopardy, other than double and triple checking my math. I thought it was fairly well-known that the LA Coliseum was built for the 1932 Olympics. President Ronald Reagan had to open the 1984 games via remote because they couldn't make it secure enough for him.

I think the question was analogous to one about political conventions, which they have asked about from time to time. I think everyone needs to know that Chicago was the most frequent 20th century venue for political conventions until the 1968 Fiasco after which no conventions were held there until 1996.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

+1 was shocked brotherly love was counted as correct. Last I checked, the city is not called Agapedelphia...

+1 thought FJ was awful rote memory trash with a weird composition. I spent so much time wondering if there was some other city that means "City of Angels".

All that aside, I really enjoyed Amal's style of play. Fast and furious on the buzzer while patient and calm to respond.
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Had "failing to launch" on the first DD. Judges? And anyone else first think of Frostbite Falls for the second DD? :lol:
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Peachbox wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:40 am Had "failing to launch" on the first DD. Judges?
That's gotta count.
Peachbox wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:40 amAnd anyone else first think of Frostbite Falls for the second DD? :lol:
[raises hand] Had that been my DD on stage, I like to think I could've shoved Rocky & Bullwinkle aside in time, but it didn't happen on the couch so...
In and out of the pool four times
davey

Post by davey »

Peachbox wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:40 am Had "failing to launch" on the first DD. Judges? And anyone else first think of Frostbite Falls for the second DD? :lol:
"Failure to launch" was the one I had never heard of, for that specific meaning...I managed to figure it out. I see it's the title of a 2006 Matthew McConaughey (no "youngster") film about a man living with his parents...
5M google hits for "failing to launch" (and I don't see many about rockets) makes that easy...(There are 10M for the other...)