Wednesday, March 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Re: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TriviaBug »

A relevant clue in NYT Crossword last Friday:

2d. ___ effect, bias toward products that consumers assemble themselves
My website and app - http://triviabug.com

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Golf wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:29 am
twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:11 am
Nothing will ever get me to like the rat-maze. You must go through the entire store to reach the exit. There is one hidden portal about halfway through if you can find it
Or perhaps there are multiple hidden portals and you just haven’t found them all? :lol:
It's been a while, but I think the last one I saw was a fake bookshelf where you pull on the book "The History of Cheese" to get the shortcut to the exit. If you select "Dante's Inferno", you wind up back at the beginning :).

If this question was flipped to "What is the Ikea Effect", my guesses would go along the line of causes of marital discord, divorce triggers, or binge drinking. It has been stand-up comic fodder for decades, right behind airplane food.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:11 am

Nothing will ever get me to like the rat-maze. You must go through the entire store to reach the exit. There is one hidden portal about halfway through if you can find it.
Maybe the game show for you is The Money Maze, hosted by Nick Clooney (George's father and Rosie's brother) and which aired on ABC in 1974-75. The contestants played a trivia game and then roamed a maze looking for prizes.

I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

jeff6286 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:28 pm
2-Down
___ effect, bias toward products that consumers assemble themselves
TriviaBug wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:04 am
A relevant clue in NYT Crossword last Friday:

2d. ___ effect, bias toward products that consumers assemble themselves
GMTA

I always wondered why some cake mixes require you to add an egg and others (just as good) don't. Frankly this makes me mad to learn.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:12 pm
trainman wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:00 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:47 pm
Never been to an IKEA store and never had a desire to do so.
Don't like Swedish meatballs? The stores can be fun even if you're not planning to buy any of the assemble-it-yourself furniture.
I'd have to drive 80 miles to get to one, so I too shall pass.
The closest one to me is in Atlanta, which is two hours from me. I am in Atlanta right now for work but it is 40 miles away. If I am ever staying closer I may check it out.

QBall
Valued Contributor

Post by QBall »

When I hear Ikea, I often think about the Jonathan Coulton song by the same name. Here's one of the many tribute videos that tries to put visuals to his hilarious lyrics.

TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

Robert K S wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:03 pm
GMTA

I always wondered why some cake mixes require you to add an egg and others (just as good) don't. Frankly this makes me mad to learn.
You are being charitable, Robert. I would have responded with RTFM. Sorry, I did skim through the previous messages before posting but evidently did not do it right.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wonder if Amal was instructed beforehand to whistle a tune that is in the public domain.

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

If you do stop by an IKEA make sure you go to one without a Minotaur. “Barely escaped.” And “they should have warned me” are the reviews to watch out for.

I didn’t remember where I heard of the IKEA Effect but I probably heard of it when I read Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely. That’s an interesting book that showcases that humans are not rational decision makers and their deviation from rationality can be predicted pretty accurately. It has applications in economics and finance which may suboptimally assume rational behavior in creating models.

One of my favorite parts of the book, which I’m probably remembering wrong, was that people would be demonstrably more likely to buy something when they have more options. The example was a lecture hall of students who had a choice to buy a subscription for some sampling of magazines. Making up numbers here but trying to keep the idea intact. When students were given the option of 12 months at $120 or 6 months at $80 very few people were interested. When given three options, 6 months at $80, 12 months at $120, and 24 months at $320 there was a substantial increase in the number of students willing to purchase the 12 months at $120 - even though they weren’t interested when there were only two options.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:56 pm
I wonder if Amal was instructed beforehand to whistle a tune that is in the public domain.
Dr. Oz steered him in that direction by asking for "something classical." Maybe they were both instructed beforehand.

lstone19
Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

Finally catching up and surprised to see no mention of the captioning goof on the Bradbury response (first Nebula Awards category clue) which was captioned as "Who is Brad Berry?" (or should that have been "Who is Brad Barry?" :D ).

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

lstone19 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:09 pm
Finally catching up and surprised to see no mention of the captioning goof on the Bradbury response (first Nebula Awards category clue) which was captioned as "Who is Brad Berry?" (or should that have been "Who is Brad Barry?" :D ).
That, among other errors, prompted my comment in the next day's thread. Yeah, CC has gone downhill.

LucarioSnooperVixey
Quizizz Jammer

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Annihilation and About that Song $800.)
FJ: :mrgreen:

The funny thing is, I knew Semisonic's "Closing Time" as the thumbnail for the music video made a cameo appearance in my "End of QuizUp" video.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 7.05.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 7.05.37 PM.png (169.86 KiB) Viewed 202 times