Thursday, March 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, March 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

I'd call this the easiest FJ of the week. Not only the snap connection Galvani➡electricity ➡ Frankenstein, but the bicentennial of the novel was celebrated 3 years ago...
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

46R. 3/4 on big clues. The one I missed was Frankenstein and I figured it out right after time was up. I wrote down "The Alchemist" since that was the only debunked science I could think of but knew that year was way off. For me "galvanize" means to cover in zinc to protect from corrosion. I roll my eyes whenever it is used in a political context. I was familiar with the frog leg experiment from Galvani. I wasn't aware anything had been debunked. Electricity does play a role in motor function. The explanation after FJ is that Galvani said electricity was the source of all life and that would be incorrect but I didn't know that Galvani ever said that. I spent most of FJ trying to think if Galvani had worked on something besides electricity. Coulomb worked on soil mechanics for example. I figured it would be the other subject that was debunked and not the one he was known for.

I said FCC instead of Federal Communications Commission. I've done work involving UL labels and CE labels. Never the FCC label but I definitely knew the symbol. I don't know if they were asking for the full name and maybe I would have missed it. Said on/off switch instead of power switch. Said storm in a teacup instead of tempest. I counted all of those.

The Playboy Jazz Festival is the only one I ever hear about so I couldn't pull Newport.

Said house wren instead of house finch. That should teach me not to guess at pictures of birds in bottom rows. I can't identify birds. I saw a pigeon once. Guessed MART instead of MARTA. I've seen the Kukulkan factoid before but I think I read it as "depicted as one of these feathered real-life creatures" instead of "depicted as a feathered one of these real-life creatures" and thought they were going for a bird. Said Quetzal.

For next time I'll try to get hibiscus, Newport Jazz Festival, Yorkshire Terrier, and Wilson Phillips.

I don't use closed captioning for Jeopardy! because it spoils the answers sometimes. I use it for everything else.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Relax, you were only off by 178 years! Frankenstein was an easy FJ. There was one uncomfortable stretch of the game with no correct answers but it was a good game otherwise.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Instaget final - I only knew about the frog experiment, not the expanded conclusions. Dr. Oz's gibberish at the reveal didn't make sense to me until seeing the discussion here. I am glad he is colorizing some of the answers.

One thing I didn't like about Dr. Oz was his strong projecton - alpha male persona. I thought Dr. Oz was a lot less "bossy" sounding today, so maybe he's getting in more of a groove or the show people suggested he dial it back. Now it seems like he just wants to take care of business and that's all you can want from a host. He may have moved ahead of Mike Richards in my estimation, but that might just be timing and me moving the goalposts.

Lisa played well and Amal went to the well one time too many. Also, the Thursday curse, but Amal was punching above his weight the previous two days. I never did get used to his hesitation technique, although I completely approve of it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:58 pm Instaget final - I only knew about the frog experiment, not the expanded conclusions. Dr. Oz's gibberish at the reveal didn't make sense to me until seeing the discussion here. I am glad he is colorizing some of the answers.

TIL that the birds I've been calling purple finches are actually house finches. Good thing they spotted us "house" and the photo.

One thing I didn't like about Dr. Oz was his strong projecton - alpha male persona. I thought Dr. Oz was a lot less "bossy" sounding today, so maybe he's getting in more of a groove or the show people suggested he dial it back. Now it seems like he just wants to take care of business and that's all you can want from a host. He may have moved ahead of Mike Richards in my estimation, but that might just be timing and me moving the goalposts.

Lisa played well and Amal went to the well one time too many. Also, the Thursday curse, but Amal was punching above his weight the previous two days. I never did get used to his hesitation technique, although I completely approve of it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:01 am
TIL that the birds I've been calling purple finches are actually house finches. Good thing they spotted us "house" and the photo.

So you know, purple finches and house finches are very much alike and probably indistinguishable to non-birders. Purple finches are slightly larger and have slightly more red around the head and shoulders. That one was a house finch. The one at your feeder may be a purple.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I'm also someone who uses closed-captioning for everything but Jeopardy (and sports - just mute it). Frankenstein leapt into my head like a Bela Lugosi inside fastball, then tried to convince myself something else must fit, but couldn't, because for some reason I thought it was written in the 1830s.

Not knowing a thing about Dr. Oz before this week and hearing people were upset about the choice, I was prepared to be skeptical. So far, pleasantly surprised by his delivery, pacing, voice, though his intros Tuesday and Wednesday were (channeling Randy Jackson here) pitchy. Lots of missed shows this week and next with the NCAAs and a local affiliate that isn't J-friendly. Still, if lots of people are upset because Dr. Oz represents something they don't like, I hope he isn't the choice. I know they want a name, but I really wish they'd consider someone who isn't even B-list.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

AntmanB wrote: ...it didnt seemed like any of his clues were dubbed today.
I noticed one that was obviously dubbed. Can't remember which category it was in.
twelvefootboy wrote: Amal was punching above his weight the previous two days. I never did get used to his hesitation technique, although I completely approve of it.
Amal: Ring in first, figure out clue later.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

i guess that this adventure is typical for fans of "jeopardy!"
in tonight's double jeopardy category of "born during the civil war," the $2000 clue was "the son of a civil war officer, he would become famous for his wild west artwork like "the bronco buster."
yes, i was pretty sure that i knew it, but that's beside my point.

tonight, i was reading one of my favorite law blogs (loweringthebar dot net) and found an entry about the bayou bend museum in texas: "The museum is located in the former mansion of a Houston civic leader and philanthropist (who was, by all accounts, a truly wonderful person despite being cursed with the name “Ima Hogg” by her father)." the blog also notes that reports that ima had a sister named "ura" are not true.

so i looked up ima hogg in wikipedia, and what did i find? of course! she really is famous as a philanthropist and community leader, and known as "the first lady of texas"! the entry also included an image of one of the limited editions of remington's "the bronco buster" which ima hogg donated to the houston museum of fine arts.
check it out!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

zakharov wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:58 pm Never heard of Luigi Galvani, had no chance on this one, but now I can learn some new stuff so that's a win!
1818 + scientific plot = done

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:40 pm
I did like that Lisa is now the second game show contestant after myself who pointed to her hand to indicate a location in Michigan, though.
Did you notice that the other contestant, who was actually from Michigan, couldn't be bothered to do that to show where Ypsilanti is? Maybe that's the very definition of Michigan cool. Now, on the other hand, if he'd used a part of his hand to represent the very famous water tower where he lives...

[ I asked about that water tower in a TD once. Oh come on. Bing Ypsilanti water tower. You know you want to.]
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:55 amDid you notice that the other contestant, who was actually from Michigan, couldn't be bothered to do that to show where Ypsilanti is? Maybe that's the very definition of Michigan cool. Now, on the other hand, if he'd used a part of his hand to represent the very famous water tower where he lives...

[ I asked about that water tower in a TD once. Oh come on. Bing Ypsilanti water tower. You know you want to.]
I've been Brick Dickrolled!
In and out of the pool four times
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:55 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:36 pm Anyone else notice that the closed captioning has gone downhill? Until recently, they caught every nuance including mistakes by the contestants. Now, it seems like they don't even know what the response means. Kind of a bummer.
Why would I turn captioning on?
I always have it on anyway. And for Jeopardy, it can help with some of the responses as well as what the host is saying (almost wrote "Alex" there. Damn. Even when Johnny says 'guest host' I still mentally hear 'Alex Trebek' come next.)

I was not a fan of the Amal Pause. There were a few times I really thought he should have been out of time.

And what I particularly don't like about Dr. Oz is his clipped delivery. A very short "No" instead of more like a "Noooo ..."
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

This clue had me on a mad scramble from Verne to Wells, but I knew 1818 was too early for either. Never thought about Stevenson (also too late) and got to Frankenstein just in time. Appreciated Lisa's wager.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:59 am I always have it on anyway.
Ah, OK. For me, it's far too distracting.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:01 pm Said house wren instead of house finch. That should teach me not to guess at pictures of birds in bottom rows. I can't identify birds. I saw a pigeon once. Guessed MART instead of MARTA. I've seen the Kukulkan factoid before but I think I read it as "depicted as one of these feathered real-life creatures" instead of "depicted as a feathered one of these real-life creatures" and thought they were going for a bird. Said Quetzal.
House Finch! viewtopic.php?p=332772#p332772

I managed to put the pieces between electricity and frog legs only after the title was revealed. Long day week...I miss lockdown...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
brick

Post by brick »

alietr wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:59 am
I was not a fan of the Amal Pause. There were a few times I really thought he should have been out of time.
Likewise, though I trust the timekeepers know what they are doing. It honestly made me think, time and again, that he wasn't going to say anything. It was slightly anxiety producing. He was a good contestant but I won't miss that.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

brick wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:25 am
alietr wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:59 am
Likewise, though I trust the timekeepers know what they are doing. It honestly made me think, time and again, that he wasn't going to say anything. It was slightly anxiety producing. He was a good contestant but I won't miss that.
The lights counting down are a visual aid for contestants as well as viewers.

Ring in and have your response ready. Save the 2nd reading of a clue for Daily Doubles.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Between Amal's pauses and 11 triple stumpers, I was amazed they got through all 60 clues.

Got locked onto Jules Verne and made a bad FJ guess of Journey to the Center of the Earth.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

nserven wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 am Between Amal's pauses and 11 triple stumpers, I was amazed they got through all 60 clues.

Got locked onto Jules Verne and made a bad FJ guess of Journey to the Center of the Earth.
They could have saved time if needed by editing every time he rang in.
brick

Post by brick »

davey wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:18 pm
Danmel wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:01 pm
brick wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:44 pm Did anyone else find the phrase “all the surviving colonists were massacred” a little awkward?
I did. That makes no sense at all.
That's not what he said. He referred to Colonials, as in soldiers...And in this case, the closed captioning has it right too.
"All the surviving Colonials were murdered, massacred." (The captioning says "murdered and massacred.")
I admit his diction is not the best.
I apologize for misremembering the exact wording, but the correct wording isn't any less awkward to me. It is slightly reminiscent of the childhood riddles about "battle yada yada... where were the survivors buried?"