Thursday, March 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, March 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

brick wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:44 pm
davey wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:18 pm
Danmel wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:01 pm
brick wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:44 pm
Did anyone else find the phrase “all the surviving colonists were massacred” a little awkward?
I did. That makes no sense at all.
That's not what he said. He referred to Colonials, as in soldiers...And in this case, the closed captioning has it right too.
"All the surviving Colonials were murdered, massacred." (The captioning says "murdered and massacred.")
I admit his diction is not the best.
I apologize for misremembering the exact wording, but the correct wording isn't any less awkward to me. It is slightly reminiscent of the childhood riddles about "battle yada yada... where were the survivors buried?"
OK, but it is known as the Fort Griswold Massacre. The New England Historical Society says "many of the remaining American troops" were slaughtered, so maybe he was exaggerating (as I guess he is wont to do...) I think he said "murdered, massacred," which is less awwkward than the captioning has it.
https://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety ... treachery/

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

davey wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:01 pm
brick wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:44 pm
davey wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:18 pm
Danmel wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:01 pm
brick wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:44 pm
Did anyone else find the phrase “all the surviving colonists were massacred” a little awkward?
I did. That makes no sense at all.
That's not what he said. He referred to Colonials, as in soldiers...And in this case, the closed captioning has it right too.
"All the surviving Colonials were murdered, massacred." (The captioning says "murdered and massacred.")
I admit his diction is not the best.
I apologize for misremembering the exact wording, but the correct wording isn't any less awkward to me. It is slightly reminiscent of the childhood riddles about "battle yada yada... where were the survivors buried?"
OK, but it is known as the Fort Griswold Massacre. The New England Historical Society says "many of the remaining American troops" were slaughtered, so maybe he was exaggerating (as I guess he is wont to do...) I think he said "murdered, massacred," which is less awkward than the captioning has it.
https://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety ... treachery/
And if we are being generous, it is part of the job, and he is trying... the little color commentary... the added tidbit of information. But it just felt very awkwardly delivered and not much about this snake oil salesman makes me feel generous. So...

Benedict Arnold is an historical figure I could certainly stand to know more about. Maybe Lin Manuel Miranda will write a musical about him. That would help. For sure.

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Once again, watching too much TV as a kid helped - twice! - on the two most valuable clues in Gods and Godesses category.

Kulkulkan was the prime antagonist in a Star Trek: The Animated Series episode, "How Sharper Than A Serpent's Tooth."

And I learned about Anubis from watching Jonny Quest.

rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Oz is starting to grow thin on me. Still a fine show.

7/10 (B)
I’ve made a new life over here.

https://tripleatpir.wordpress.com/

LucarioSnooperVixey
Quizizz Jammer

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed Celebrity Sibling Surnames $400 & $800, and TV Locales $400 & $2000.)
FJ: :mrgreen: