Thursday, March 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, March 25, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY INSPIRATIONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The now-debunked theories of Luigi Galvani influenced the science in this 1818 novel

Amal Dorai: 8000+7999=15999
Doug Small: 14800-14601=199
Lisa O’Brien: 14600+1500=16100 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Frankenstein (Doug – the Strange Case of Dr Jekyll + Mr. Hyd)

Daily Doubles
Lisa: 4400+1000
Amal: 2400+2400
Doug: 7600+4000

Coryats
Amal: 6800
Doug: 12400
Lisa: 14200

Combined: 33,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Amal: 1600
Doug: 3200
Lisa: 8600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TV LOCALES $400 almost cost me a run from the start as I had to think a moment for the FTWD starting place while the others were insta-gimmes.

Lisa left $3400 on the table at DD1 and she trailed by $200 after the DJ! round. It did not cost her the win and I wonder how she would have bet from a slim lead needing to put down $14K+ like Doug did.

It has to stink to have the lead only to miss the FJ! clue and then get the extra wound of seeing both of your opponents solve the FJ! clue.

With a blazing pen I barely got the title written before the music began as I needed an extra second during the reading to figure it out.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Instaget FJ! for me. Although the extent to which Galvani's understanding has been "debunked" rather than "refined" seems in issue to me. No one has ever disproven Galvani's experimental observations. To the contrary, they are the forebears of such modern lifesaving or life-improving technologies as implantable and external defibrillators and DBS.

Some links related to this FJ:
Britannica entry detailing the Galvani-Volta controversy.
Frankenstein and Body Issues.

Today, the word "galvanize" means to shock or excite someone into taking action. And "galvanic" is a routinely used term in physics and electrical engineering to describe a physical connection of electrically conductive material (as opposed to, say, an inductive coupling, or connection via semiconductive material).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No mercy on the media clues today: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6980
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I started trying to think of an Italian set book but got nowhere. Considered both responses but picked the wrong one.

The lunch break did Oz well as he seemed more relaxed.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Never heard of Luigi Galvani, had no chance on this one, but now I can learn some new stuff so that's a win!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:55 pm Instaget FJ! for me. Although the extent to which Galvani's understanding has been "debunked" rather than "refined" seems in issue to me. No one has ever disproven Galvani's experimental observations. To the contrary, they are the forebears of such modern lifesaving or life-improving technologies as implantable and external defibrillators and DBS.

Some links related to this FJ:
Britannica entry detailing the Galvani-Volta controversy.
Frankenstein and Body Issues.

Today, the word "galvanize" means to shock or excite someone into taking action. And "galvanic" is a routinely used term in physics and electrical engineering to describe a physical connection of electrically conductive material (as opposed to, say, an inductive coupling, or connection via semiconductive material).
Some aspects of Galvani's work remain valuable, and even current. Other aspects, not so much. Unfortunately, the clue dismisses the entirety of the man's legacy. Perhaps, instead of "The now-debunked theories..." the clue could have been made much more accurate had it been worded, "A now-debunked theory..."? But that's a distinction likely lost on the show's present writing crew.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Xu Donym wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:32 pm Other aspects, not so much. ... Perhaps, instead of "The now-debunked theories..." the clue could have been made much more accurate had it been worded, "A now-debunked theory..."?
I'm not even sure what the one thing was that Galvani is considered to have been wrong about. In the intellectual war between Galvani and Volta, Galvani was the right one, or at least the more right: Volta believed that electrical conduction is not present within living animals as a component of motor control.

An excellent paper on Galvani's work and scientific legacy can be found here.
...the scholar of Bologna is still largely misrepresented in the history of science, because the importance of his researches seems to be limited to the fact that they opened the paths to the studies of the physicist Alessandro Volta, which culminated in 1800 with the invention of the electric battery. ... However, although successful with the invention of the electrical battery, Volta was wrong in many of his conclusions on animal electricity. ... Contrary to Volta’s views, the electricity of electric fishes, as well as the electricity discovered by Galvani in the muscles and nerves of a variety of animal species, was fully “animal” according to the criteria initially established by Volta himself in 1782, because it clearly depended “on the functions of animal economy” and was “essentially linked to life”.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Would they have Accepted just "FCC" for clue 2? same with Bees instead of Honeybees. im guessing no on the latter.

Gotta Remind my self, Traitor means benedict Arnold, not Napoleon.

My Thought Process during Final. "I Know nothing about Literature. The only thought i had was Frankenstein but that was 1800s i think. WAIT, THAT WAS RIGHT?"

also, Oz, why are you shocked someone bets everything WHEN ITS OBVIOUS THEY HAVE TO TO HAVE A CHANCE TO WIN!? :roll: :roll: :roll: Well, we got somewhat longer credits today at least. and it didnt seemed like any of his clues were dubbed today.

Lach Trash - Los Angeles, Colorado River
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Not familiar with this story, couldn't come up with anything from proper time frame.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I watched a few clips out of morbid curiosity. Yikes, even just judging him independently of anything else he's done, he is still absolutely awful.

I did like that Lisa is now the second game show contestant after myself who pointed to her hand to indicate a location in Michigan, though.

I recognized the connection to Galvani, but got galvanization and vulcanization mixed up and my thought process came to a screeching halt.
brick

Post by brick »

Did anyone else find the phrase “all the surviving colonists were massacred” a little awkward?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Bi, State Parks, Deities,
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: bias, Newport :o , antennae, Ishtar, Pele, serpent,
FJ: stumbled around The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, then started to get to Jeckyl & Hyde as time expired. :(
Cheering for Doug as a restaurant Manager from Michigan having to deal with his miserable :x excuse of a Governor. But Doug, you gotta bet for the win.
What was the train wreck in Deities? :shock: Easy money for the taking.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Anyone else notice that the closed captioning has gone downhill? Until recently, they caught every nuance including mistakes by the contestants. Now, it seems like they don't even know what the response means. Kind of a bummer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:36 pm Anyone else notice that the closed captioning has gone downhill? Until recently, they caught every nuance including mistakes by the contestants. Now, it seems like they don't even know what the response means. Kind of a bummer.
See my "William McConqueror" observation last week.

I've noticed a lot of errors on Wheel's captioning too.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:36 pm Anyone else notice that the closed captioning has gone downhill? Until recently, they caught every nuance including mistakes by the contestants. Now, it seems like they don't even know what the response means. Kind of a bummer.
Why would I turn captioning on?
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

brick wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:44 pm Did anyone else find the phrase “all the surviving colonists were massacred” a little awkward?
I did. That makes no sense at all.
davey

Post by davey »

Danmel wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:01 pm
brick wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:44 pm Did anyone else find the phrase “all the surviving colonists were massacred” a little awkward?
I did. That makes no sense at all.
That's not what he said. He referred to Colonials, as in soldiers...And in this case, the closed captioning has it right too.
"All the surviving Colonials were murdered, massacred." (The captioning says "murdered and massacred.")
I admit his diction is not the best.
Last edited by davey on Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.