Wednesday, March 31, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, March 31, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:41 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:38 pm I had a stopover at Roy Indiana's "Love" piece, but made it to
"Did you call me Roy?"
That was my first inclination; I wasn't sure it was right, verified his name was Robert, and then with the confidence of that verification, reverted without noticing. Editing now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:38 pm xkcd is now J! canon! ( well...at least one degree within canon... https://what-if.xkcd.com/ )
"We" were in its (pretty much):

xkcd Jeopardy.jpg
xkcd Jeopardy.jpg (85.71 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

alietr wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:20 am
Volante wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:38 pm xkcd is now J! canon! ( well...at least one degree within canon... https://what-if.xkcd.com/ )
"We" were in its (pretty much):
Except that is not xkcd, it's Strange Planet.

A strange wrinkle to this FJ was that the name Milton Glaser sounded familiar to me, but I didn't know why. (It might be because he died only last year.) The correct logo came to me rather quickly, but I had also tried to think of something that invoked the WTC (like the WPIX channel 11 logo, which supposedly had the '11' resemble the twin towers).
Last edited by nserven on Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

nserven wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:32 am Except that is not xkcd, it's Strange Planet.
April Fool!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:38 pm I had a stopover at Robert Indiana's "Love" piece
Isn't he the guy who was named after his dog? Oh, sorry, that's Indiana Jones. :D
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

Didn't care for the FJ clue. Took me a few seconds to realize bruise implied a body or body part, discarded Uncle Sam and Rosie the Riveter as not being logos and settled on the American Heart Association. I wouldn't consider the given response to be either iconic or a logo and even if it came to mind I'm not sure I would have went with it.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:52 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:56 pm I think of the response as a slogan more than a logo. Like Mark, no chance.
Best I could come up with was Apple, which made no sense, except that I could see that an apple could have a bruise. The Apple logo was designed by Rob Janoff. You can have his "team" design you a logo if you have a spare $10k sitting around.
Went the same direction with addition of "Big." The "I [heart] NY" logo never crossed my mind, but Big Apple logos are quite prevalent.

https://www.google.com/search?q=new+yor ... 48&bih=535

A bruised apple is plausible. Does "More Than Ever" make sense as an addition? Dunno, but it was the best I could come up with.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Volante wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:38 pm Despite having drunk plenty of pints in my day...I'm apparently still unable to visualize them the right size. (Never mind that 'ordinal alcohol measurement' could only possibly be 'fifth')
I dimly remember someone like W.C. Fields saying something on the order of, "I buy my liquor in quarts. You can't get four full glasses out of a fifth. Unless the fifth glass is a really big one." Forty years later, Piers Anthony used a variation of the line in Macroscope.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:44 pm I will put the under at 35% in the poll, with a chance of the low 20's. I guess the designer's name has some traction, but not to me.
Guess I'm one of the lucky few who saw 9/11 and locked in on INY in a snap, though I've neither seen nor heard of Glaser's update.
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:44 pmThe Primer/Primer clue was cruel. I've never heard the children's book pronounced without the long "I". I guess our reading teachers needed more instruction. Dr. Oz was ready with the neg and didn't spoil the rebound. "Primmer" seems more like a British pronunciation.
The only time I've heard it said like that is by Jodie Foster's character in Contact when (in case someone hasn't seen it yet)
Spoiler
John Hurt's brilliant eccentric billionaire character tells her he's located the key to making sense of the alien's diagram and she says "You found the primer?"
Aside from the McConaughey character, I love this movie, in part because it keeps taking enormous twists.

LT: Wrangler, fifth, produce, Greeley, rood (thanks to having read "The Dream of the Rood" in a lit survey course in the '80s... plus crosswords).

Poll request on the Cameron Diaz clue. I get it now--she was in the Charlie's Angels movies--but at J! pace that clue:
As of 2021 the last film appearance of this movie "Angel" was in a 2014 version of "Annie"
seemed awfully thin.
In and out of the pool four times
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

So the J! staff still don't know what "rhyme" is. Disappointing.

In my eighth-grade history class, Mr. Zamastil told us that it was the New England "primmer". I don't know how common that pronunciation is generally, but my reading suggests at least that it is more common here than Back There.

I never hoped to see a green cow, but I did. At second glance, I guess it is yellow, but the green highlights were confusing. I am among those who always thought tennis balls green, so there is that too.

"I ❤ NY" earned zillions for Glaser. No one, on the other hand, owns this other popular logo:
jlnyc.jpg
jlnyc.jpg (41.63 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:36 pm

"I ❤ NY" earned zillions for Glaser.
The articles I read say that Glaser did the work for free. Maybe if he'd known how popular it would be he would have taken a cut.
This Village Voice article says that NY considered his post 9/11 revision a copyright violation.
https://www.villagevoice.com/2011/11/23 ... o-be-here/
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Lefty wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:36 pm So the J! staff still don't know what "rhyme" is. Disappointing.

In my eighth-grade history class, Mr. Zamastil told us that it was the New England "primmer". I don't know how common that pronunciation is
Primer with the short I is the correct pronunciation for a textbook. Primer with the long I is the correct pronunciation for the paint.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

davey wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:58 pm
Lefty wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:36 pm

"I ❤ NY" earned zillions for Glaser.
The articles I read say that Glaser did the work for free. Maybe if he'd known how popular it would be he would have taken a cut.
This Village Voice article says that NY considered his post 9/11 revision a copyright violation.
https://www.villagevoice.com/2011/11/23 ... o-be-here/
So he's the John Fogerty of graphic artists.
I'm smart and I want respect.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Never heard of Glaser, and have only been north of the Mason-Dixon Line three times (once to Newark and twice to Boston), but after about 5 seconds, “I heart NY” clicked. I’ve never seen the redone logo though.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed the Bottom Two in At the Movies.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni