Thursday, April 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Thursday, April 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

runs: "Out", Safe at Home,
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: Cal-Berkeley, Nevada DD, Tricia Nixon, Victoria, accidentures, Satan :twisted: , Columbus
FJ: what is parliament? :? figured it meant the local parliament being abolished
noted KT's very deliberate enunciation of the last name from "Meet the Parents". :lol:
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

DBear wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:31 pm noted KT's very deliberate enunciation of the last name from "Meet the Parents". :lol:
That's one you wouldn't want to Fock up on national TV.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:41 pm But it's not wrong. If "church" counts, certainly "Anglican church" should count, no?
Well, if you look at the wiki article on this guy, here's what it says with regards to this specific clue: not a thing.
And if you look at the articles on the Church in Wales and the Welsh Church Act of 1914 (which is what did the disestablishing), you'll find this guys name exactly zero times. So, quite honestly, I have no clue what it was he was against disestablishing.

That being said, it looks like this was about the Church in Wales disestablishing from the Church of England. Both of were to remain -- and still are -- Anglican. So, to throw "Anglican" in there is, I think, to add incorrect information.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:39 pm
DBear wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:31 pm noted KT's very deliberate enunciation of the last name from "Meet the Parents". :lol:
There was a time in broadcasting a Fokker was called a German monoplane just to avoid that pitfall.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:10 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:39 pm
There was a time in broadcasting a Fokker was called a German monoplane just to avoid that pitfall.
Seems silly. Fokker made monoplanes, biplanes, and triplanes.
davey

Post by davey »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:20 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:02 pm I wrote down What is the Church of England? Judges?
That is the church that was disestablished. Full credit.
It was most peculiar that Oz gave the correct response as just church. There's no chance that if you understand (a little bit) what antidis... is, you're going to think such non-specificity will be good enough. The correct response, I figured, was either Church of England (the obvious precall) or Church of Wales. (I did briefly toy with Anglicanism as a way of splitting the difference.) I'm glad I came down on what's apparently the right side, but it was a tough decision... :?
Any reason to think that blackout wouldn't work for "A loss of electrical power" in the OUT category?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

davey wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:33 pm
Any reason to think that blackout wouldn't work for "A loss of electrical power" in the OUT category?
Yes, the category stated that the responses START with "out".
davey

Post by davey »

DBear wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:43 pm
davey wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:33 pm
Yes, the category stated that the responses START with "out".
Oops! Thanks.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Seeing Emily introduced yesterday made me remember, apropos of nothing at all, meeting two young Americans at the US Navy base in Naples in the mid-70s. They both worked in Base Ops in the same office. One was an Air Force member whose last name was the same as Emily's; the other was a Navy technician whose name was Ehrmann. So, working at adjacent desks, were Seaman Ehrmann and Airman Seaman.

Regardless of the date, not a joke. Also not a joke is that I couldn't remember the definition of antidesestablishmentarianism despite looking it up in grade school. Went with "membership in the U.K." just to have something.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: The J! round ended with Scott at zero and Dr. Oz gave him $800 more before the DJ! round began to account for poor pinning on a disaster clue that led to a double get and a neg negated.
I knew there was something shoddy about that clue when all three negged.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:33 pm Church of England (the obvious precall) or Church of Wales.
They probably wouldn't neg it, but just to be safe, it's Church of England and Church in Wales.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

A littttle bit off-centered

davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:19 pm
davey wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:33 pm Church of England (the obvious precall) or Church of Wales.
They probably wouldn't neg it, but just to be safe, it's Church of England and Church in Wales.
It seems to me that neither Church of nor Church in Wales is correct, at least technically, since it appears that it was never called the former and only called the latter after the disestablishment...
Another peculiar part of the clue: A real-life antidisestablishmentarian... Is there a fictional antidisestablishmentarian I should know about??
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

43R. 3/4 on big clues. Should have gotten FJ. I learned the definition of the word a long time ago but for some reason thought it had something to do with anarchy. I waffled between government and church and wrote down government.

Missed Tricia Nixon and said Julie Nixon. Matched KT with shamrockandroll instead of shamrockabilly.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are radon, the Berkshires, Dreamgirls, Tina Turner, and the Great Sandy Desert.

I was confused by the Richard III clue when it said "This bard royal" and thought they were going for a noble that wrote, not a Shakespeare character.

I liked Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. It's an incredibly violent book and some people may not like it. I'm curious how they picked that specific line for their immoral lines category. There are probably several other lines that are much more immoral. I wonder if they started with something disturbing and had to change it.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:55 pm I was confused by the Richard III clue when it said "This bard royal" and thought they were going for a noble that wrote, not a Shakespeare character.
Yeah, that's the problem with all caps. "This Bard royal ..." gives a hint, at least.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:41 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:31 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:51 pm
William Bermudez wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:30 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:20 pm

That is the church that was disestablished. Full credit.
So "The Anglican Church" would have counted? That was the first thing that came to mind for me.
I'd say so.
Nope. The Church in Wales split from the Church of England. Both are Anglican churches.
But it's not wrong. If "church" counts, certainly "Anglican church" should count, no?
I also settled on "Anglican Church" but didn't know why the term needed to be pinned to the UK. Dr. Oz made it sound like just "church" would do the trick. Without the Welsh reference, I probably just say "church".

I'm sorry, but I think Dr. Oz is just about nailing it at times. When things are going smoothly, it seems like he's always hosted the show and is not the 'guest' host. His tempo and energy are pitch perfect and his bossiness seems less abrasive. He needs more variety in phrasing, and is doing better at that.

Ah, Emily, we barely knew ye. We named our last dumped-onto-us cat Emily after the girl in the teen tournament that said potatoe with very long accents on the O and A as POE - TAY - TOE. Why am I mentioning this?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

+1 knew the word but didn't know the meaning of the word :oops:

Though on a positive note and because I don't believe in jinxing, I've got a 12/12 in DD's going into tomorrow
floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:39 pm Scott got into position to win not because of brilliant trivia knowledge but because he got a silly gimme DD about 101 Dalmatians .
I'd say both DJ DD's were gimmes, but DD3 being in the $800 position, an easier clue than normal was to be expected.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:13 pm The FJ! category makes the home page and the FJ! round itself look really strange in being so big: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6986
Maybe you could add the hyphens where the show put them?
ANTIDIS-
ESTABLISHMENT-
ARIANISM

Yes, I was that obnoxious kid who could spell it in fourth grade or so, but... yeesh. Seems like the writers are finally getting to use the FJ categories that stodgy Uncle Alex wouldn't permit. I miss that overarching good judgment, and think the show misses it a lot.
Didn't think the Overlaps were all that funny or clever either, but maybe I'm just grumpy.

LT: UC Berkeley, Berkshires, Nevada (DD); Tricia Nixon, accidentures, Satan, Columbus
In and out of the pool four times
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

reddpen wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:50 am
Maybe you could add the hyphens where the show put them?
ANTIDIS-
ESTABLISHMENT-
ARIANISM
I wouldn't advise that. It would screw it up if anyone ever searched for "antidisestablishmentarianism."
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It's not clear whether the word stretching the column in this game is antidisestablishmentarianism or dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethan.