Monday, April 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Re: Monday, April 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

I am incredibly biased given I treat Fred Rogers as almost a god and I have watched that Emmy speech numerous times. Like if I missed that you would have the right to check if I have dementia.

Aaron was the host I was most excited for. Glad to see he kept a good game going. It's his first game so I'm not going to judge his personality after 1 game.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Could somebody explain the towel snap the champ did in Final Jeopardy?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
brick

Post by brick »

Is anyone aware of a way to view J in other countries? I have a Packers fan in Mexico who is ever so slightly losing his mind. Used to be part of my nightly watch group.
brick

Post by brick »

I have posted that clip a couple of times a year on my Facebook. I love it. Very easy for me.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: "But", Body Parts, Coffee, History, Baseball Managers,
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: sackbut, Iran hostages, Stengel (3800)
FJ: Who is Regis Philbin? :( (Dr. Oz for the joke response :lol: )
two different potpourri categories? :shock:
Aaron is by far the most low-key of the guest hosts that we have seen. :|
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:03 pm Could somebody explain the towel snap the champ did in Final Jeopardy?
If you are looking for an explanation of Scott's FJ! response:
Spoiler
NFL/YT knows how to block a video here. Green Bay had 4th and goal with 2:09 to go, losing 31-23. Coach went for the field goal and gave Tampa the ball up by five. GB never saw the ball again.

Even if GB goes for the TD on 4th they would have missed the 2-pointer. TB/TB was going to win the game.

Audio alert: It's Buck & Aikman
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:37 pm
floridagator wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:03 pm Could somebody explain the towel snap the champ did in Final Jeopardy?
If you are looking for an explanation of Scott's FJ! response:
Spoiler
Even if GB goes for the TD on 4th they would have missed the 2-pointer. TB/TB was going to win the game.

Audio alert: It's Buck & Aikman
I was in a bar in Atlanta the day of the Falcons-Patriots Super Bowl. I knew TB/NE was going to win when Brady got the ball down by 16 with 8:31 left. Falcons gonna Falcon when facing the GOAT.
DisneyFor2000Alex
Contributor

Post by DisneyFor2000Alex »

Hi all! Didn’t want to create a separate post for it, but wanted to say that I’ll be a contestant on Wednesday’s episode, and I wanted to thank everyone here, as this was a constant resource for me in preparing! If anyone is interested on my take/thoughts, I’ll be live tweeting my episode at 7pm EDT on Wednesday (AmyR896). THANKS ALL!!!
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

DisneyFor2000Alex wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:50 pm Hi all! Didn’t want to create a separate post for it, but wanted to say that I’ll be a contestant on Wednesday’s episode, and I wanted to thank everyone here, as this was a constant resource for me in preparing! If anyone is interested on my take/thoughts, I’ll be live tweeting my episode at 7pm EDT on Wednesday (AmyR896). THANKS ALL!!!
Congratulations and retro good luck!
davey

Post by davey »

Like others, I never extended my thinking to children's TV. Look to the helpers I would recognize, but the Fj quote kind of flattens that out, I'd say...
Every time, I say A Farewell to Arms when I mean The Sun Also Rises. One time it came up, I had recently read the latter before misidentifying it!... :roll: If I thought watching 6-hour biography would straighten me out on this, I would do it...but I find these monumental Burns docs irritating...
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

My guess for FJ was Regis Philbin. But in retrospect, Fred Rogers made sense, given the clue.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Well, that was dull. Even couric was better. Great game by the new champ although I was rooting for the Celtic musician. Easy FJ but I’m glad I immediately thought of Rogers and forgot about Regis and Donahue.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Rodgers was likable enough, and he handled the FJ dig with the right amount of chagrin. But he lacks the polish and gravitas for consideration as permanent host, however much he campaigns for it. I'm afraid I have to stand with the Cheeseheads in saying, "Aaron, don't quit your day job."
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Aaron Rodgers...was surprisingly enjoyable.

8/10 (B)

PS: As a Muslim myself, the Quran does not ban coffee.
It's the end of the journey that counts.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:44 pm admitting he did not know the other name for the trombone
Sack and butt were right there! I expect better from a quarterback. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

39R. 4/4 on big clues. I read something that partially spoiled FJ but I think I would have gotten it.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are sackbut, prestigious, Comiskey, Casey Stengel, and preparation. I couldn't remember if the adage was perseverance or preparation.

I wouldn't have tried to ring in on the Iran hostages clue but I would have tried to guess Japanese Internment Camp survivors.

I got a little confused on the clue about The Sun Also Rises. I got it but they asked for his first novel and The Torrents of Spring was before The Sun Also Rises. It looks like Wikipedia currently says that The Torrents of Spring is considered a novella and The Sun Also Rises is considered a novel. Most of his works are pretty short and it would be hard for me to organize them that way.

It looked like there was an edit or a glitch on the catcher clue. They just skipped the contestant giving the response and went to the next clue about The Baltic Sea. I don't think I had a seizure. I'm not epileptic or anything. Missed several clues immediately after that because it threw me off.

Missed alabaster even after the lengthy Carrara discussion the other day.

Aaron Rodgers was good. He read the clues a bit too slowly for my taste but he seemed to have a lot of reverence for the show and he brought something different.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Instead of "who called the field goal?", how about "who failed to score on 7 tries against the Tampa Bay goal line defense?".

I went right to Mr. Rogers just based on the sentiment of the quote and it helped that we just viewed the Tom Hanks movie during the last year. I was wondering about Standards and Practices setting up the Mr. Rogers answer from Mr. Rogers (sic), before I remembered the latter's real spelling. FWIW, I will not watch every Tom Hanks movie just to get Jeopardy! FJ's :roll: . Sometimes it pays to be 3-5 years behind on movie releases.

I was primed for a spoiler from Aaron's interview with ESPN linked here somewhere. At the least we knew there would be a new champion. I've already seen a lot of click bait headlines about the FJ, so it is win-win for the show even if it was spoiled.

I wonder if viewership got a boost from the Aaron Rogers buzz? His opening words were very scripted, which of course they would be, but they were nice. I was unaware he won his Celebrity Jeopardy appearance, so he must have some trivia chops. He ran the game nicely. The interviews were not the best, and not the worst. His speech and intonation are adequate, if a little flat. He's narrating the game, not playing disc jockey, and that's OK. I think he will improve, but it may just be me that adjusts like I did to the other hosts.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:40 pm
AntmanB wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:07 pm
3x Winners. Its not that Hard.
How many games did you win on the show?
Fair Point.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I felt like Rodgers was a little stiff in the intro and interviews, but I think he did a pretty good job during game play.

No clue on FJ. I put down (James) Lipton just to have something. Like Opus I also considered Phil Donahue, but it was my pre-call rather than during the 30 seconds.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

FJ! was an instaget for me. It seems like a link to the speech in question goes around on social media every few months.