Monday, April 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
DAYTIME TV PERSONALITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Accepting a Lifetime Achievement Emmy, he said, "Just take… 10 seconds to think of the people who have helped you become who you are"

Scott Shewfelt: 9300-0=9300
Brandon Deutsch: 22300+924=23224 (New Champ)
JoBeth Thomas: 8400-901=7499

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mr. (Fred) Rogers (Scott – Who wanted to kick that field goal?) (JoBeth – Who is?)

Daily Doubles
Brandon: 800+1000
Brandon: 7400+4500
Scott: 4800+4500

Coryats
Scott: 6400
Brandon: 19800
JoBeth: 8400

Combined: 34,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Scott: 3600
Brandon: 7000
JoBeth: 4000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Aaron had his moments with:
reading of the CYE clue
adding to the pirate response
Go Bears!
admitting he did not know the other name for the trombone
reacting to Scott's FJ! response

Aaron added in some first names better than other guest hosts and did it smoothly.

It can't be easy to do the first chat and have the contestant talking a bit too much. How to cut her off and move along? I would love to know what was going through Aaron's mind at the time. Aaron did not convince me he gave two cents about any of the stories, but that is always my take of the QB in not always coming off as completely sincere.

Aaron did have, "We were looking for..." while he did not always use that exact phraseology.

Fascinating how contestant minds can work in trying to figure out the group that got paid off. 0/3 on the show while I got the trash with one try.

The FJ! category had me focusing on talk show figures. Bad mistake as I never expanded my precalls.

When I saw the clue I had a vague recognition of the quote though could not place it. Picking a male who had been around a while I wrote Regis Philbin. Brandon had better luck and I could almost see the light bulb go on over his head as suddenly he started writing.

My fault for never bothering to see the feature documentary or recent film. Too many years ago to be helpful I did watch a special about the show and can't recall if the speech was in there or not.

If the clue had included a year for some kind of guidance I wonder if that would have helped? It's back to the same pattern for me where I'm not unfamiliar with the material yet cannot make the parts connect.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I have reasons local to me to think of Mr Rogers in this context, and fairly quickly.

There’s not much else for folks to go by other than “name considerate person on TV (and btw this person was on PBS, and is no longer alive.)”
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Austin Powers wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:56 pm There’s not much else for folks to go by other than “name considerate person on TV (and btw this person was on PBS, and is no longer alive.)”
I agree with the first part, but there's nothing specifically in the clue about PBS or that he's no longer alive. I keyed on "help" which matches Mr. Rogers's famous quote "Look for the helpers", but that's also a stretch.

I feel like the category is unhelpful, I think, since "Daytime TV" says "Talk shows and soaps" to me. I'd go:

TELEVISION PERSONALITIES

Accepting a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 1997 Daytime Emmys, he said "Take… 10 seconds to think of the people who have helped you become who you are"

That might be a little too long for the monitor, though.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

GB12 one is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6989

Too many player errors :o

Not all for this game, but about 20 correction suggestions from one person in less than 30 minutes. :roll:
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:27 pm Not all for this game, but about 20 correction suggestions from one person in less than 30 minutes. :roll:
Somebody really wants Cavalleria Rusticana to be spelled with a lowercase "r". There are plenty of citations for the capital R though. In fact, just about every poster and album cover on Google image search has the capital R.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

To the person who said he listens to audio of the show while driving...do not listen to this episode with this host if driving late at night or if you are very tired. Hopefully he shows more energy in the next nine episodes.

JoBeth blew any chance of winning by going for the $400 Hemingway clue with only three total clues remaining. She had a 50/50 shot of finding a Teen Week DD and a chance of breaking the lock. But in the end, it only wound up costing Scott and Aaron’s charity money.

I got FJ, but I also started in the realm of talk show hosts. The bit about a Lifetime Achievement Award did hint this person was retired and either very old or dead.

I was expecting something more in FJ than a snarky comment from Brandon.
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:27 pm GB12 one is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6989

Not all for this game, but about 20 correction suggestions from one person in less than 30 minutes. :roll:
Was one of them Scott is italicized in the DJ29 response? 😉
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:45 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:27 pm GB12 one is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6989

Was one of them Scott is italicized in the DJ29 response? 😉
Between trying to finish the round while on the phone and laughing at the CCer having "The Son" I'm not surprised I missed a proper closing tag. Thanks, fixed.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

I dont remember aaron having this long of hair but whatever.

anything is better than Dr Oz imo, and as much as i love Aaron Rodgers, his voice is very monotone. i think there was some dubbing done here too but its not as bad as do dr oz's. He did alright. Even if he Retired from Football RN Hes not the One. Ken still leads for me.

I Literally watched the Whip It Video on MTV Classic last night so that was a Coincidence.

Literally couldn't think of anyone. Then Thought of Al Roker during the reveal but it was wrong.
LOL at Scott getting a dig at Aarons team for the NFC Championship game. Mr Rogers never crossed my mind.

3x Winners. Its not that Hard.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

For Final, Mr. Rogers never crossed my mind. The quote about people helping you become who you are led me to This Is Your Life and Ralph Edwards.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A little embarrassing to miss FJ when the correct response was literally right in front of you. (I know he spells his name differently than Fred, but it’s close).
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:43 pm To the person who said he listens to audio of the show while driving...do not listen to this episode with this host if driving late at night or if you are very tired. Hopefully he shows more energy in the next nine episodes.

JoBeth blew any chance of winning by going for the $400 Hemingway clue with only three total clues remaining. She had a 50/50 shot of finding a Teen Week DD and a chance of breaking the lock. But in the end, it only wound up costing Scott and Aaron’s charity money.
Gotta agree about Aaron's energy. He was pretty wooden and monotonous. Hopefully that will change over the next two weeks. No other major complaints about him so far.

It always irritates me when two players bounce around the board but the third player always returns to the top. JoBeth was that third player tonight. Like you said, it had little effect tonight, but still, in this era of the show, you can't be afraid of digging deep into the boards.

Instaget FJ.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

AntmanB wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:07 pm
3x Winners. Its not that Hard.
How many games did you win on the show?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Here's the speech mentioned in FJ:
Spoiler
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Aaron Rodgers did a decent job. A little laid back and monotone as others have noted. If this is a representative performance, I'll probably end up ranking them Ken Katie Mike Aaron Meh with Aaron being right on the dividing line between people I'd be happy to have as permanent host and those I'd rather not.

For FJ I started off with Phil Donahue and was pretty happy with that guess. Then Mr. Rogers occurred to me and I wasn't sure which way to go. For the clue, I liked Fred Rogers better than Donahue by a fair margin. But the category DAYTIME TV PERSONALITIES, while technically a correct description of Rogers, seemed to fit Donahue much better. When I think of Daytime TV, I don't think of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. That's Children's TV or Public Television or something. And "personality" conveys to me a sense of putting on an act, which doesn't fit Fred Rogers at all. Can you imagine a 2003 obit saying "Daytime TV personality Fred Rogers has died at the age of 74"? You'd wonder if they were talking about some other guy with that name.

But category aside, the clue itself fit Mr. Rogers so well, that I did switch my answer to him and then fretted about it until Brandon's response was finally revealed and ruled correct.

I'm disappointed that Brandon didn't have the time to write, or didn't think to write "(no, not you Aaron)." Not that I'd have taken that risk, I suppose. What if I don't finish writing it and they end up ruling me wrong for providing weird additional info? What if I'm wrong and everybody laughs AT me instead of with me?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:43 pm I was expecting something more in FJ than a snarky comment from Brandon.
Yeah, but it was funny as hell.
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:05 pm For FJ I started off with Phil Donahue and was pretty happy with that guess. Then Mr. Rogers occurred to me and I wasn't sure which way to go. For the clue, I liked Fred Rogers better than Donahue by a fair margin. But the category DAYTIME TV PERSONALITIES, while technically a correct description of Rogers, seemed to fit Donahue much better. When I think of Daytime TV, I don't think of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. That's Children's TV or Public Television or something. And "personality" conveys to me a sense of putting on an act, which doesn't fit Fred Rogers at all. Can you imagine a 2003 obit saying "Daytime TV personality Fred Rogers has died at the age of 74"? You'd wonder if they were talking about some other guy with that name.
I had Rogers initially, but then thought about Donahue and even Merv himself. If it weren't limited to daytime, I'd've thrown Carson in there. But having no real reason to switch, I stayed with Rogers.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I said Oprah first for final, but then realized it was a male. I then thought of Mr. Rogers. I saw the fictional film a couple of years ago, but not the documentary.

I liked Aaron a lot more than everyone here so far it seems. I don't want a host that is super energetic to the point of outshining the contestants. The contestant interview topics were dull as dishwasher though, I can't see any host getting excited about those topics.