Tuesday, April 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ASTRONOMY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
As Huygens observed in 1656, a weapon in this constellation contains a nebula, one of a few that can be seen with the naked eye

Dennis Chase: 16800-10401=6399
Norah Webster: 13600-13200=400
Erick Loh: 18200+2800=21000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Orion (Dennis – Saggitarius) (Norah – Saggitarius Orion)

Daily Doubles
Dennis: 2400+1200
Norah: 2000+2000
Norah: 9600+4000

Coryats
Dennis: 16200
Norah: 10000
Erick: 18200

Combined: 44,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dennis: 6800
Norah: 1200
Erick: 5400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Aaron was quickly racking up moments in the first segment with his reaction to the players not knowing one of the teams in TITLE WAVES, the quip after a player did get the next clue and lastly having fun with a pronunciation of the Anchorman city.

In the DJ! round I loved the added information for the astronaut coming in second on Celebrity J! :lol:

Nice work by the writers setting the table for some of the fun moments.

Better than all of that was more importantly the game itself with the players 3/3 on DDs to have scores well into five figures for the FJ! round.

Norah could have bet more on DD3 to have led for the FJ! round. Today it did not matter with Erick getting the sole solve. Norah had a chance to still take the match as she went the wrong way on a Dawson Crossin'.

Dennis bet enough on the FJ! clue that he could have won with a solve as Erick only went up to 21000 when Dennis had a possible 33600 (or 27201 on the bet) and Norah had a possible 27200 (or 26800 with the wager).

The FJ! clue had me hoping for moons as I'm a little better on that than various colors and type of stars when I did not want any kind of dwarf/giant material.

Constellations is neutral for me as thanks to crossword puzzle I know some of them. Unlike Norah, I went the right way on the choice as many years ago a playground director pointed out various visible night sky things even with surrounding city lights on. My thinking was that if I could see the belt then perhaps the weapon was in play also.

If I had gone the wrong way at least I would have spelled it with the double letters in the right place unlike today's players.

Erick was the best of the three players and earned the win with the sole solve while his 15400 or 21000 finishing numbers have me curious about the strategy. Perhaps Erick will manage to find a DD tomorrow (not likely in the first box) to give a better idea how he plays things.

Dennis had the third win sitting there for him, but if you want to move on you gotta convert a gettable FJ! clue.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Not sure what there is in the FJ! clue to avoid the coin flip unless you know the specific fact. The Wikipedia article doesn't even mention Huygens. If the clue called for you to name the weapon it would be another coin flip, since Orion traditionally has both sword and club. (Nebula is in sword.) Me, I was lucky enough to stop at Orion, which I considered more obvious. Had I pondered further it would have been an agonizing Marktiple Choice.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:57 pm Not sure what there is in the FJ! clue to avoid the coin flip unless you know the specific fact.
I just picked the one I knew how to spell XD
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I started on Orion but switched to Sagittarius. Bah.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

All done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6995

Multiple laughs in the game and another is courtesy of the CCer with "Whaling" instead of "Wailing". :lol:
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:56 pm All done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6995

Multiple laughs in the game and another is courtesy of the CCer with "Whaling" instead of "Wailing". :lol:
My city has something close to a Whaling Wall.
SongoftheWhales.png
SongoftheWhales.png (744.93 KiB) Viewed 3704 times
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Had No Clue in Final.

Lach Trash - Scottsdale
ACW

Post by ACW »

I don't think I knew Orion even HAD a sword, just the club.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:57 pm Not sure what there is in the FJ! clue to avoid the coin flip unless you know the specific fact. The Wikipedia article doesn't even mention Huygens. If the clue called for you to name the weapon it would be another coin flip, since Orion traditionally has both sword and club. (Nebula is in sword.) Me, I was lucky enough to stop at Orion, which I considered more obvious. Had I pondered further it would have been an agonizing Marktiple Choice.
I started at Sagittarius then thought, "wait, what about Orion?" Only settled on Orion based on the flimsy assumption that in the absence of other TOM, it would be more obvious to the average viewer.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:27 pm I started on Orion but switched to Sagittarius. Bah.
As did I.
Spum
Contributor

Post by Spum »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:45 pm
In the DJ! round I loved the added information for the astronaut coming in second on Celebrity J! :lol:
Aaron would know, he beat him.

Knew that Orion had a nebula somewhere, so insta-get for me.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Orion instaget! Then I changed to Sagittarius. :oops:

That San Diego clue was an example of one that was poorly pinned. Nothing at all about San Diego. You had to know about the fictional character Ron Burgundy. I wonder if the writers aren't conferring as much with each other during covid. I read in Sports Illustrated once that they played each game among themselves before finalizing them. I'll bet they're not doing that now.

I negged on the last clue with Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:33 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:27 pm I started on Orion but switched to Sagittarius. Bah.
As did I.
Suckers. I started with Sagittarius but switched to Orion. Then back to Sagittarius. Sigh.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Ruled out Orion as a trap and suffered a wound from Sagittarius instead. Silly me!
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Me, literally any other time you should ask me "hey Bobby, what constellation would have a weapon in it?": "Oh, that's easy, either Sagittarius or Orion."

Me, upon being faced with this FJ! clue: "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................"
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:47 pm I started at Sagittarius then thought, "wait, what about Orion?" Only settled on Orion based on the flimsy assumption that in the absence of other TOM, it would be more obvious to the average viewer.
I kinda had both at the same time, but got it right based on the same logic.

I've also come to the conclusion I'm done rating the host. I think Rodgers today was the best single show any guest host has done. He had fun, he joked a little with some grins, and it didn't impact the flow of the game. He was very Trebek like and natural. It wasn't an imitation. Aaron Rodgers seemed like "this is me", which is a big part of why Trebek was so good. Now, if I could just get past the fact that his voice kinda puts me to sleep.

How do you rate that?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Sherm wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:08 pm I think Rodgers today was the best single show any guest host has done.
I would agree with that.
Spum wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:34 pm Knew that Orion had a nebula somewhere, so insta-get for me.
Orion and Sag both have several within them.