The 2021 Tournament of Champions Is Happening Next Month

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

The 2021 Tournament of Champions Is Happening Next Month

Post by bigblue999 »

cubeexpert42

Re: The 2021 Tournament of Champions Is Happening Next Month

Post by cubeexpert42 »

"Get scared" - Buzzy Cohen, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebpZ5im6-9I

Buzzy always finds a way to crack me up. Good luck to him and the 15 competitors. It will be a great tournament, no matter the outcome.

Edit to add: Due to his guest hosting tenure, Buzzy will now be ineligible to appear as a contestant again: https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... -champions
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Ooooh... I like the gold sheen on the TOC logo.
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

Given this is a high-profile gig, one has to think he will be in the running to be a permanent replacement...
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I hope this means they’re taking players from across the country again.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
William Bermudez
Contributor

Post by William Bermudez »

So the four-timer who was held over from last year to let Emma Boettcher qualify isn't playing after all?
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

William Bermudez wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:25 pm So the four-timer who was held over from last year to let Emma Boettcher qualify isn't playing after all?
I believe that's Ryan Bilger.
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

jev15 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:32 pm
William Bermudez wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:25 pm So the four-timer who was held over from last year to let Emma Boettcher qualify isn't playing after all?
I believe that's Ryan Bilger.
It is, yeah! His final game aired on the same day that the 2019 TOC line-up was formally announced, arguably making it the cut-off (which is presumably why he was the on-site alternate while that TOC was taping).
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

LET'S GOOOOOOO, I've been super looking forward to this. Pleasantly surprised by Buzzy being the guest host, this will be a very fun watch.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

cubeexpert42 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:43 pm
Due to his guest hosting tenure, Buzzy will now be ineligible to appear as a contestant again: https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... -champions
I wonder how many past Champs they offered this role to who turned it down because of that.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:31 am
Due to his guest hosting tenure, Buzzy will now be ineligible to appear as a contestant again: https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... -champions
I wonder how many past Champs they offered this role to who turned it down because of that.
Considering we are entering a new era for the show, and had the GOAT already for the previous era, I suspect nobody from the Alex days are going to be back for future tournaments anyway; other than maybe someone from this upcoming TOC.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

yclept wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:11 pm Given this is a high-profile gig, one has to think he will be in the running to be a permanent replacement...
I'm a little surprised they aren't having him host a couple of weeks of regular-season shows as a warm-up to the tournament.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Those in the know reported on FB that the ToC taped April 13 & 14, so it makes sense why the Buzzy news got released yesterday. Elise Nussbaum was the alternate and there were no contestant guests (and of course no general public) in the audience.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Considering we are entering a new era for the show, and had the GOAT already for the previous era, I suspect nobody from the Alex days are going to be back for future tournaments anyway; other than maybe someone from this upcoming TOC.
If no other former champions have guest hosted other than Ken and Buzzy, then I would anticipate those from the Alex days to be back for a possible special tournament in Season 40 (e.g. a second installation of the Million Dollar Masters Tournament where they bring back James Holzhauer, Brad Rutter, and 13 ToC champions/finalists/semifinalists whose original appearances took place between Ken Jennings' run and the 2019 ToC (including the winner of the this tournament). It would be nice to see James and Brad on the Jeopardy! set again, even though we're in the post-Trebek era.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:27 am
floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:31 am
Potentially unpopular opinion, but I think that's probably for the best. We've pretty much seen the best of the Trebek era already, and we've seen them compete in these kinds of tournaments several times at this point. I think the GOAT tournament and this last Trebek-era tournament should close the deal on that. There's a reason we didn't see Fleming era contestants compete in these best-of tournaments (with the exception of Burns Cameron).
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Potentially unpopular opinion, but I think that's probably for the best. We've pretty much seen the best of the Trebek era already, and we've seen them compete in these kinds of tournaments several times at this point. I think the GOAT tournament and this last Trebek-era tournament should close the deal on that. There's a reason we didn't see Fleming era contestants compete in these best-of tournaments (with the exception of Burns Cameron).
I'd say the other reason we didn't see any former Champions from the Art Fleming era is because the original series lasted until 1975, and its revival was short-lived as it only ran from 1978-79. The current syndicated version began in 1984 and will still be going for a considerable amount of time, even though there will be a new host next season. In other words, it has been continuous even after Alex died. So I wouldn't see a problem with TBTP airing a special tournament featuring James, Brad, and 13 other former champions from the later Trebek era, all of whom made their initial appearances on the program between Ken's original run and the 2019 ToC. And the most recent special tournament from the Trebek era (the All-Star Games), TPTB didn't bring back former champions from the 80s and 90s (e.g. Chuck Forrest, Frank Spangenberg, Jerome Vered, Eddie Timanus) as they were well past their prime.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:38 pm

I'd say the other reason we didn't see any former Champions from the Art Fleming era is because the original series lasted until 1975, and its revival was short-lived as it only ran from 1978-79. The current syndicated version began in 1984 and will still be going for a considerable amount of time, even though there will be a new host next season. In other words, it has been continuous even after Alex died. So I wouldn't see a problem with TBTP airing a special tournament featuring James, Brad, and 13 other former champions from the later Trebek era, all of whom made their initial appearances on the program between Ken's original run and the 2019 ToC. And the most recent special tournament from the Trebek era (the All-Star Games), TPTB didn't bring back former champions from the 80s and 90s (e.g. Chuck Forrest, Frank Spangenberg, Jerome Vered, Eddie Timanus) as they were well past their prime.
While it is the same show going forward, how many more times do we need to see the same people with the same results pretty much every time? Until the GOAT, Rutter won every one of them; and Ken was right there with him.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Im not actually a big Buzzy Fan, but he does have a Personality that could make a good Host. Does this mean we have all our guest hosts or is there gonna be 1-2 more announced?

Looks Like they took the next one Down to replace Brayden. I was wondering if they were gonna Take Zach or Not Honestly.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:38 pmSo I wouldn't see a problem with TBTP airing a special tournament
The Bigwigs That Program?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AntmanB wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:44 pm Im not actually a big Buzzy Fan, but he does have a Personality that could make a good Host. Does this mean we have all our guest hosts or is there gonna be 1-2 more announced?

Looks Like they took the next one Down to replace Brayden. I was wondering if they were gonna Take Zach or Not Honestly.
Who is Not Honestly?