Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1986
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:30 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:23 pm
Robert K S wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:01 pm
Said Neuschwanstein Castle. Spelled it right. Knew it was wrong.
I would've gone with that but I couldn't figure out how to spell it, even phonetically. So I went with something easier to spell. Rijksmuseum.
Got Tivoli right away, then considered Neuschwanstein, but figured there's no way they would ask contestants to try to spell it.

Cooper is quite the natural.
Twelvefootgirl wrenched her knee badly in Ludwig's Castle (Neuschwanstein) two years ago, so this seemed like a little payback to give us a solve for the inconvenience. But I wasn't comfortable that they would require a) knowledge of the name, b) would they accept facsimile spelling, and c) I thought the time frame was a little early (and it was, finished in 1886, opened to public soon after due to death and debt).

We just got to see the last ten clues or so. No critique of Anderson today, but I did notice he threw in unrelated information on the Mystic River author. Not additional information to the clue, but why does he want us smarter? There seems to be a concerted effort to identify every first name for the viewers, and if Alex did it all the time, he made it seem so natural that I didn't take notice. I don't recall Alex giving unrelated tidbits (like other works by authors) in general.

I've heard of Tivoli Fountain(s?), never Tivoli Gardens. I'm not that fond of Italy, and really don't care for Italian food which is highly overrated imho. My German and Dutch business contacts kept taking me to Italian restaurants until I made them stop :lol:. At least they rarely use garlic in the "authentic" restaurants we visited.

If you go to Ludwig's Castle, mind your step on the spiral staircases :o .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7722
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

tddeveryday wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:37 pm
For FJ, I was trying to come up with a tower-like structure like in the Disney logo. The best guess I had was the Eiffel Tower. (Looking up the logo later, I realized it's a castle, not a tower. Anyway!)
You mean Sleeping Beauty's Castle...based on Neuschwanstein?

Tivoli after five seconds, then spent the next 20 debating whether to put 'Gardens' down or not.

I'm not feeling the Cooper love; he needs to slow down. Still has a day of grace period left before it affects his score at least.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Tenet (10), A Touch of Zen (9), Last Year in Marienbad (7), Dheepan (9)

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

43R. 3/4 on big clues. Wrote down "The Little Mermaid". It's a tourist attraction in Europe associated with Hans Christian Andersen and Walt Disney. I thought the statue was based on the fairy tale and would have come after Hans Christian Andersen but I wasn't sure if there was an earlier version by somebody else. It looks like Tivoli Gardens and The Little Mermaid Statue are very close. 3 km apart is walking distance. I've seen Tivoli Gardens come up in the archives a lot but I always miss it. This connection will help me remember it.

The writers sure are throwing in a bunch of "Anderson" and "Cooper" clues.

The abbreviations in the INTERNATIONAL ORGS. category threw me off. CoD = Call of Duty. ICC = International Criminal Court. CIS = Computer Information Systems. Except those weren't what they were asking for. Got "chamber of commerce" out of those 3.

I got help with the Mark Felt clue from looking through Diane Sawyer's Wikipedia page after missing the clue about her yesterday. She was one of the people speculated to be deepthroat before Mark Felt came forward. Woodward confirmed it wasn't her.

Missed immunosuppression with immunodeficiency.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Al Smith, East Timor, Haifa, Mark Knopfler, ewer, Dennis Lehane/Boston and shiatsu. Sultans of Swing is a great song and Knopfler's name looks like it could be related to mine so maybe I can remember that next time.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

mjhunt
Valued Contributor
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:45 am

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mjhunt »

Bamaman wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:19 pm
Could have had a tie-breaker today.
Yes. You have to wonder what Mike was thinking.

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1547
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Johnblue »

Where I live WoF was interrupted by numbnuts but luckily Jeopardy was spared. As a child I read a series of mysteries called The Happy Hollisters and they would travel the world and stumble upon mysteries of a very gentle sort. One of them was set at Tivoli so this was pretty easy for me. I thought Mike would come back to win but Logan was pretty sharp too. I liked Nina’s story about visiting 6/7 continents. Antarctica 🇦🇶 is definitely worth the trip!

BrigadierSolo13
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:40 am

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

This is one of those FJ's that I thirst for as I prepare for my eventual lucky day behind the podium, and that's one that I flat-out don't know. I can honestly say I have never heard of Tivoli Gardens before, and matched a few other people here who said The Little Mermaid statue. This one will be added to the flashcard deck posthaste :D

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5497
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:36 pm
I've heard of Tivoli Fountain(s?), never Tivoli Gardens.
Maybe you're thinking of the Trevi Fountain in Rome? Tivoli Gardens are in Copenhagen (hence the H.C. Andersen hint).

If you knew of the existence of Tivoli this FJ was pretty easy. Otherwise I guess it was pretty much impossible. :D

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1986
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:55 pm
twelvefootboy wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:36 pm
I've heard of Tivoli Fountain(s?), never Tivoli Gardens.
Maybe you're thinking of the Trevi Fountain in Rome? Tivoli Gardens are in Copenhagen (hence the H.C. Andersen hint).

If you knew of the existence of Tivoli this FJ was pretty easy. Otherwise I guess it was pretty much impossible. :D
I was thinking of the Trevi Fountain. Tivoli as a word rings a bell, but I don't know why. I know nothing about Hans Brinker except for silver skates, or Heidi except for the football game kerfuffle. I'll have to look up why Disney and Andersen Pavlov to Tivoli.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5497
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:24 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:55 pm
twelvefootboy wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:36 pm
I've heard of Tivoli Fountain(s?), never Tivoli Gardens.
Maybe you're thinking of the Trevi Fountain in Rome? Tivoli Gardens are in Copenhagen (hence the H.C. Andersen hint).

If you knew of the existence of Tivoli this FJ was pretty easy. Otherwise I guess it was pretty much impossible. :D
I was thinking of the Trevi Fountain. Tivoli as a word rings a bell, but I don't know why. I know nothing about Hans Brinker except for silver skates, or Heidi except for the football game kerfuffle. I'll have to look up why Disney and Andersen Pavlov to Tivoli.
It's an amusement park, so that's the Disney connection. It's in Copenhagen, so that's the Andersen connection. So, okay, I suppose you need to know a little more about it than its mere existence...
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1731
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

mjhunt wrote:
Bamaman wrote: Could have had a tie-breaker today.
Yes. You have to wonder what Mike was thinking.
He seems to have a desire to make that happen. Like it's on his bucket list or something.
We'll see if he makes it three games in a row on tomorrow's show.

BrigadierSolo13
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:40 am

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Did anyone else have a problem with Mike's response to BOOKS FOR THE WEATHER CHANNEL for $1200? To refresh, here's the clue and response:

"Smilla's Sense of" this helps her solve a murder in Copenhagen

Mike: What is the snow?

My problem is, the book is called Smilla's Sense of Snow, not Smilla's Sense of the Snow. Shouldn't adding the article be negged then? Is it not similar to leaving out/using the wrong article in the middle of other works like "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" and "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night", which have both gotten negged before?

Judges, let me know what you think.

User avatar
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)
Posts: 2157
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:45 am
Did anyone else have a problem with Mike's response to BOOKS FOR THE WEATHER CHANNEL for $1200? To refresh, here's the clue and response:

"Smilla's Sense of" this helps her solve a murder in Copenhagen

Mike: What is the snow?

My problem is, the book is called Smilla's Sense of Snow, not Smilla's Sense of the Snow. Shouldn't adding the article be negged then? Is it not similar to leaving out/using the wrong article in the middle of other works like "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" and "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night", which have both gotten negged before?

Judges, let me know what you think.
Unlike the two examples cited, this title was originally in a foreign language. Could they both be valid translations?
OCSam

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7473
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:45 am
Did anyone else have a problem with Mike's response to BOOKS FOR THE WEATHER CHANNEL for $1200? To refresh, here's the clue and response:

"Smilla's Sense of" this helps her solve a murder in Copenhagen

Mike: What is the snow?

My problem is, the book is called Smilla's Sense of Snow, not Smilla's Sense of the Snow. Shouldn't adding the article be negged then? Is it not similar to leaving out/using the wrong article in the middle of other works like "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" and "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night", which have both gotten negged before?

Judges, let me know what you think.
The clue wasn't asking for the title; it was asking what Smilla had a sense of, according to the title of the book. I wouldn't say that someone who had a sense of snow couldn't be said to have a sense of the snow. Plus I think the "extraneous/omitted/wrong articles in titles" rules only apply when the contestant is giving a complete title.

Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1784
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Leander »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:31 am
twelvefootboy wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:24 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:55 pm
twelvefootboy wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:36 pm
I've heard of Tivoli Fountain(s?), never Tivoli Gardens.
Maybe you're thinking of the Trevi Fountain in Rome? Tivoli Gardens are in Copenhagen (hence the H.C. Andersen hint).

If you knew of the existence of Tivoli this FJ was pretty easy. Otherwise I guess it was pretty much impossible. :D
I was thinking of the Trevi Fountain. Tivoli as a word rings a bell, but I don't know why. I know nothing about Hans Brinker except for silver skates, or Heidi except for the football game kerfuffle. I'll have to look up why Disney and Andersen Pavlov to Tivoli.
It's an amusement park, so that's the Disney connection. It's in Copenhagen, so that's the Andersen connection. So, okay, I suppose you need to know a little more about it than its mere existence...
Maybe the Italian connection is this one, per Google:

"Tivoli is a historic hilltown in the Lazio region of Italy, and is one of the most popular destinations for daytrips from Rome. Tivoli's two most famous tourist attractions are the magnificent gardens of the Villa d'Este and the extensive ruins of Hadrian's Villa (known as the Villa Adriana)"

Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:34 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Philliesfan02 »

Woppy T wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:06 pm
I don’t recall ever hearing of Tivoli before.
Me neither. First NHO on final in a while for me.

BrigadierSolo13
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 343
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:40 am

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:18 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:45 am
Did anyone else have a problem with Mike's response to BOOKS FOR THE WEATHER CHANNEL for $1200? To refresh, here's the clue and response:

"Smilla's Sense of" this helps her solve a murder in Copenhagen

Mike: What is the snow?

My problem is, the book is called Smilla's Sense of Snow, not Smilla's Sense of the Snow. Shouldn't adding the article be negged then? Is it not similar to leaving out/using the wrong article in the middle of other works like "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" and "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night", which have both gotten negged before?

Judges, let me know what you think.
Unlike the two examples cited, this title was originally in a foreign language. Could they both be valid translations?
That is a darn good point. In fact, my favorite moment of this guest-host season so far was when host Ken accepted a loose translation of a Kierkegaard quote, instead of the exact quote because "maybe that's what he said in Danish, we don't know".

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 2576
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

I feel like the clue could have spotted the contestants the word "gardens" and they still wouldn't have come up with it (and I wouldn't have, either--I've heard of Tivoli Gardens, and certainly at one time heard the fact of Walt Disney being inspired by the Danish amusement park, but it was just too far at the back of my memory).

Disney not only ripped off the Tivoli concept, but also the premise of Disneyland being a perpetual work-in-progress:
Georg Carstensen said in 1844: "Tivoli will never, so to speak, be finished", a sentiment echoed just over a century later when Walt Disney said of his own Tivoli-inspired theme park, "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 8463
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

I visited Rome with my parents in 1985 and we took a bus out to Tivoli to see the fountains at Villa d'Este, a 16th century villa. Amazing experience. Fountains everywhere controlled by nothing but gravity and piping. It made a huge impression on me and whenever I hear "Tivoli" I think of those fountains outside Rome. It always surprises me to learn that the name Tivoli as a tourist attraction has another more commonly known referent in Copenhagen. Mrs Penguin got this one right, but when she said "Tivoli" I thought of the wrong place, so her guess seemed kind of random though not entirely implausible. It wasn't until the reveal that I was reminded of the other place. Maybe this time it will stick.

https://www.italyperfect.com/blog/the-m ... ivoli.html

https://www.google.com/search?safe=on&h ... &oq=&gs_l=

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5497
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:18 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:45 am
Did anyone else have a problem with Mike's response to BOOKS FOR THE WEATHER CHANNEL for $1200? To refresh, here's the clue and response:

"Smilla's Sense of" this helps her solve a murder in Copenhagen

Mike: What is the snow?

My problem is, the book is called Smilla's Sense of Snow, not Smilla's Sense of the Snow. Shouldn't adding the article be negged then? Is it not similar to leaving out/using the wrong article in the middle of other works like "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" and "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night", which have both gotten negged before?

Judges, let me know what you think.
Unlike the two examples cited, this title was originally in a foreign language. Could they both be valid translations?
I don't think so. The title of the book (in Danish) is: Frøken Smillas fornemmelse for sne. Sne translates to snow. "The snow" would be sneen (definite article add the suffix -n or -en in Danish).

tddeveryday
Contributor
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:30 am

Re: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by tddeveryday »

Volante wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:40 pm
tddeveryday wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:37 pm
For FJ, I was trying to come up with a tower-like structure like in the Disney logo. The best guess I had was the Eiffel Tower. (Looking up the logo later, I realized it's a castle, not a tower. Anyway!)
You mean Sleeping Beauty's Castle...based on Neuschwanstein?
I didn't know it was inspired by a specific castle, but yes, that's what I would've written down if I'd known more about the logo origin.

I'm surprised so many people know both Trivoli *and* Neuschwanstein Castle. Both are new on my radar.

Post Reply