Tuesday, April 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, April 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

<Grandpa voice> Not in my day, they didn't!

Now that I think about it, I did perform a hand gesture--a namaste directed to my yoga group back home and to the universe at large--after winning. Thank God the white supremacists didn't coopt that universal symbol of mutual honor and peace in the time before my games aired.

Besides the finger numbers that several champs have used to indicate their number of wins, there are all kinds of fist pumps and looks skyward and rah-rah two-hands-clasped pumps in the air after wins or correct Daily Double responses. The show edited out little shaking-two-palms-pressed-together prayer gesture I made after getting a DD right, I presume for time and not because they didn't want to show the gesture. (In reality, it takes a lot longer for applause to die down after Daily Doubles than is shown on the show. I imagine pretty much every DD solve is edited for time, when a live audience is present.)

The show loved Austin Rogers' pantomimes and made them the subject of a mini social media campaign.

I doubt any of this stuff is going to survive the editing room after this. If there wasn't a hard-and-fast written rule before, there's going to be one now. The risk going forward of surreptitious signaling to odious hate groups only being noticed after-the-fact and causing damaging scandal is going to be too great for the show to allow anything.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:21 am
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:05 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:52 pm ...This is the second day in a row he hasn't informed a contestant that they can bet up to $1000/$2000 on a DD when the contestant had less than that amount. ... Maybe he didn't want to go in the hole, and it wouldn't have mattered anyway, and the host isn't required to Mirandize the contestant.... But still.
I agree and I'm surprised he did it again today. It might be weird for newcomers to the show. "You have $800 how much do you want to bet" - "I'll bet $1000". I think the host should always give the reminder.
We have little sympathy for bad wagers but we're supposed to worry that players might not succeed in summoning the basic rules??... :roll:
I hear the unnecessary explanations as just filler, and don't think there is a need to Mirandize (great term, Opus!) every rule. I've never heard the announcement that you can't bet more than you have in Final Jeopardy.

I don't know the stats, but Alex rarely explained what "blank is in quotation marks" actually meant when reading categories. He often said "you know what that means", and for a while, I didn't. "Before and After" took me a few clues to parse as well, but he might have explained it and I was just in denial.

I would agree that if the host mentions the player's bank account, as in "You have $800 how much do you want to bet", they should finish the phrase with "you can bet up to X". There is no need to mention either, since TPTB don't want to include us in the game with an on-screen scoreboard (my pet peeve) but as conversational filler, I'm fine with it. Maybe Anderson recognizes gratuitous rule citations as mansplaining, which it kind of is :roll: . I've watched one episode of Wheel in my life (with the esteemed TPH), and I have NO IDEA what the rules are.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:00 am Yeah, there's lots of evidence he was being deliberate about it. So basically, screw him. And Jeopardy needs to do a much better job. It was unconscionable to leave that in. They should have kicked him off the show immediately.
Fitting that this jerk fell quickly to zero after that DD miss and got shut out by the delightful Dana. Good riddance.

Audition hopefuls - be prepared for the inevitable follow-up to "What would you do with the money?" - "Are you a white nationalist?"
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:58 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:00 am Yeah, there's lots of evidence he was being deliberate about it. So basically, screw him. And Jeopardy needs to do a much better job. It was unconscionable to leave that in. They should have kicked him off the show immediately.
Fitting that this jerk fell quickly to zero after that DD miss and got shut out by the delightful Dana. Good riddance.

Audition hopefuls - be prepared for the inevitable follow-up to "What would you do with the money?" - "Are you a white nationalist?"
His "explanation" certainly did not include any disavowal of those types of views. If I had accidentally made such a symbol and it was pointed out to me, I would have been quick to deny any involvement in those hateful views.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:31 pm

His "explanation" certainly did not include any disavowal of those types of views. If I had accidentally made such a symbol and it was pointed out to me, I would have been quick to deny any involvement in those hateful views.
Agreed. I'd be apologizing very profusely if I were in his place today.
brick

Post by brick »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:20 pm
I simply ADORE that scene... and coincidentally watched the movie yesterday.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Medium claims over 300 former contestants have signed an open letter denouncing the hand gesture.

I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

For what it's worth, Snopes says it wasn't a white power gesture.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/jeopa ... d-gesture/
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BADuBois wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:16 pm For what it's worth, Snopes says it wasn't a white power gesture.

It seems somewhat short-sighted of them to presume that he didn't plan on using that gesture if he won three games with both an overt meaning signifying "three wins" and a subtle meaning for those in the know.

Also they're quoting an early Tweet from Andy. He later changed his mind about it.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

BADuBois wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:16 pm For what it's worth, Snopes says it wasn't a white power gesture.

And they quoted in evidence Andy's tweet which has since been deleted because he changed his view of the gesture. The lack of disavowal of white supremacy from Kelly is a huge concern.

ETA: I just watched video of the gesture and also saw Kelly post photos of his 1 and 2 signs. Puzzling and potentially damaging: he uses his index finger to sign 1, index and second finger for 2 - but second, third and fourth for 3, with thumb and index folded behind. Not the most natural, or most comfortable, way to sign 3.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So apparently a "banned" wager was edited in an earlier episode. Anyone know which one?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:54 pm So apparently a "banned" wager was edited in an earlier episode. Anyone know which one?
Which wager, or which episode? The wager wasn't banned yet at the time, but someone once bet $1,488 on FJ, a future contestant watching from the audience alerted TPTB that it was a white supremacist thing, and the bettor was horrified to learn of this and agreed to having their bet altered in post-production (with Alex re-recording his reading, obviously). After that, they banned that and a few other wagers.

If you want to know the episode, I'm not saying it in public to protect the innocent, but I can PM it to you.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:00 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:54 pm So apparently a "banned" wager was edited in an earlier episode. Anyone know which one?
Which wager, or which episode? The wager wasn't banned yet at the time, but someone once bet $1,488 on FJ, a future contestant watching from the audience alerted TPTB that it was a white supremacist thing, and the bettor was horrified to learn of this and agreed to having their bet altered in post-production (with Alex re-recording his reading, obviously). After that, they banned that and a few other wagers.

If you want to know the episode, I'm not saying it in public to protect the innocent, but I can PM it to you.
Yeah, that sounds like it's the one.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:31 pm

I just want to make sure: you just wanted to know about what wager got edited, yes?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:35 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:31 pm

I just want to make sure: you just wanted to know about what wager got edited, yes?
That is correct.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I went to Perth 7 years ago and Perth was fun. Cottoesloe Beach was interesting to me because I’d never been in such clear water and they have several odd sculptures. One is a pergola made of Barbie dolls. It was strange to see yet another champion implode after winning three games.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:38 pm

It seems somewhat short-sighted of them to presume that he didn't plan on using that gesture if he won three games with both an overt meaning signifying "three wins" and a subtle meaning for those in the know.

Also they're quoting an early Tweet from Andy. He later changed his mind about it.
Even if he hadn’t it was still just one person’s opinion, a person who hadn’t spoken to Kelly and has no affiliation to the show itself. A rather odd way to “prove” it wasn’t a white power sign. I like Snopes snd think they usually do a good job but they missed the mark here.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:11 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:31 pm

Agreed. I'd be apologizing very profusely if I were in his place today.
I don't know, if I innocently put up three fingers and suddenly had a bunch of strangers on the internet calling me a racist, I'd be tempted to tell them all to go to hell. Now, that doesn't mean he did or didn't do it on purpose, but the idea that there's only one "right" reaction a person can have isn't accurate.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I generally like to wait for "breaking" news to dissipate so I can relax the filter . So far there's no indication of old Social Media posts, and it's too early to criticize a lack of contrition IMHO. Now, IF he has some previous Social Media posting history, then :twisted: :twisted: .

I'm wondering - couldn't he be in a lot more hot water with his employment? I don't know who hires bank examiners, but I would expect that racial bias would be a no-no.

Right now, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt and he has the power to remove the doubt either way. We don't want to go all Richard Jewell on him.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:41 am I don't know who hires bank examiners, but I
State banking regulators, Comptroller of the Currency, FDIC, Federal Reserve
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.