Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:48 pm
SBurrus wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:06 pm
SBurrus wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:02 pm Was this the record largest combined total for three contestants heading into FJ? 53,000 is nothing to sneeze at. Emily went from $9600 to $36,600 with just two responses!
This one I knew for sure without even having to get into the Holzhauer games: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=920
OMG! I had forgotten about that. My memory just isn't what it used to be.
So you keep telling us. :D

I wonder what the highest pre-FJ total is for a competitive game. Say, third place has at least two-thirds of first. Everyone's got a realistic shot with no one needing another player to over-wager or to go down the wrong path in Stratton's Dilemma.
Can I interest you in a lovely $59,200?

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=367

Although that one's only competitive because the bozo in 2nd place overwagered badly.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:04 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:48 pm I wonder what the highest pre-FJ total is for a competitive game. Say, third place has at least two-thirds of first. Everyone's got a realistic shot with no one needing another player to over-wager or to go down the wrong path in Stratton's Dilemma.
Can I interest you in a lovely $59,200?

https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=367

Although that one's only competitive because the bozo in 2nd place overwagered badly.
At least it didn't cost the poor sap the game. And man did he kill it in the previous game. So maybe he's a bozon, a hypothetical person who exists in a superposition of genius and bozo and doesn't become one or the other until an observer collapses the waveform.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Johnny mispronounced Leah's job title both yesterday and today. She's a project manager, and he called her a product manager.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:25 pm Johnny mispronounced Leah's job title both yesterday and today. She's a project manager, and he called her a product manager.
Her contestant listing on the official Jeopardy! website says "Product Manager"; is that wrong, too?
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

I thought this was one of the best games of the post-Alex era so far. Congrats to all three players. Matched the FJ solve to avoid feeling left out. There are more than 300 films on my queue that will definitely outlive me.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

J! was pre-empted for the NFL draft in my market and it finally aired at 10 pm. Good game, though. Worth the wait!

I hated to see Leah lose. I found her voice very soothing. She should do those ASMR videos. :)
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:22 am
floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:25 pm Johnny mispronounced Leah's job title both yesterday and today. She's a project manager, and he called her a product manager.
Her contestant listing on the official Jeopardy! website says "Product Manager"; is that wrong, too?
Her Linked-In bio, which took me about 15 seconds to find, says Product Manager too... :roll:
Last edited by davey on Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:36 am
Here Linked-In bio, which took me about 15 seconds to find, says Product Manager too... :roll:
I guess floridagator doesn't think "product manager" is a thing...
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:37 am
davey wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:36 am
Here Linked-In bio, which took me about 15 seconds to find, says Product Manager too... :roll:
I guess floridagator doesn't think "product manager" is a thing...
...or just enjoys spreading fake news...
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:52 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:39 pm That FJ! was super easy. Am I going to get my second ever 5/5 tomorrow?
Not if you whammy yourself, you won't. My advice is delete your post before anyone responds to it.
:lol: You are a very evil penguin.
davey

Post by davey »

I can't join the party on this FJ. 5 letters and 4 vowels should have been enormous help, but it put me into confusion...and nothing clicked when I (finally) ran through the alphabet and got to (and past) Q... :oops:
I assume for this response q would not have been acceptable, but I wonder if cueue (or even queeu) would?

Wow, I hope nobody on the J! staff was sending a signal by making this a J! response! When were this week's shows taped, anyway?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Anderson Cooper said project manager
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Speaking of fake news...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

The closed captions say Profit Mangler if that's any help.

Ok, just kidding. I assume. I didn't actually check.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:28 am Anderson Cooper said project manager
Did it occur to you to do a little googling to find the correct title? AC has many more things to worry about in the course of the game. Common sense would suggest he was more likely to have made the error.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

floridagator wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:28 am Anderson Cooper said project manager
That's correct. Both yesterday and today Johnny introduced her as a product manager and Cooper identified her as a project manager. CC got it right all four times.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I found this game fascinating for 3 reasons:

1. We had both Ned Flanders and Moll Flanders in DJ. Sadly, no mention of the Dutch-speaking region of Belgium, or the McCrae poem.

2. This includes a bit about yesterday's game, so I'll spoilerize it:
Spoiler
Has it ever happened before that a player has been tied with another player going into FJ multiple times in their run? Leah was tied for the lead on Wednesday and tied for 2nd today. That has to be ultra-rare.
3. This FJ clue appears to be a rare case in which correct spelling is a must, since the wording had such specific parameters (let's just forget Mr. Gordy on this one). Out of curiosity, let me ask the judges on this one:

What is "cue"?
What is "cueue"?
What is "que"?

All 3 of those responses have an argument as to fitting the normal "as long the response is phonetically correct, it's acceptable", but also fail the parameters given in the clue. I'd love to know the judgement here, as well as what you think the show's judges would do.
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, April 29, 2021 FJ wagers (SPOILERS)

Post by GoodStrategy »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:30 pm When second and third are tied with more than 1/2 the leader's score, wouldn't this be a situation where they each would need to go all in?
If they have at least 2/3 of the leader's total then betting $0 for a triple stumper win is defensible as well (if it was a crush game, like the infamous three-way-tie game was, then all-in would be the only rational move).
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:01 pm Not sure about this but I presume the GEOGRAPHIC TOP 10s for $600 clue was refering to places with high humidity?
Me and my sister responded Florida, along with Colin. I was thinking of soggy ground but if I thought in terms of rainfall, I would have answered Washington.
Either way, that was a crappy presentation of a clue.
I believe it was about the wettest state or three of the top places in the U.S. in terms of rainfall are 'in this state'.
This would mean a tropic (IIRC) climate. All Hawaii is in that while Florida would just have the southern parts.
davey

Post by davey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:13 pm I found this game fascinating for 3 reasons:

1. We had both Ned Flanders and Moll Flanders in DJ. Sadly, no mention of the Dutch-speaking region of Belgium, or the Wordsworth poem.

2. This includes a bit about yesterday's game, so I'll spoilerize it:
Spoiler
Has it ever happened before that a player has been tied with another player going into FJ multiple times in their run? Leah was tied for the lead on Wednesday and tied for 2nd today. That has to be ultra-rare.
3. This FJ clue appears to be a rare case in which correct spelling is a must, since the wording had such specific parameters (let's just forget Mr. Gordy on this one). Out of curiosity, let me ask the judges on this one:

What is "cue"?
What is "cueue"?
What is "que"?

All 3 of those responses have an argument as to fitting the normal "as long the response is phonetically correct, it's acceptable", but also fail the parameters given in the clue. I'd love to know the judgement here, as well as what you think the show's judges would do.
I posted a similar question. I'd say, since the clue specifies 5 letters, only the 2d response could be accepted.
These are tricky: qyeue or queuw. Are y and w vowels?
Last edited by davey on Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.