Wednesday, May 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Lefty »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:16 pm
Always bet on yourself

Everyone has their good categories and their bad. Heck, I went into this category thinking this would be my first FJ miss of the week. But guess what, I surprised myself and got it right.

Again, I see the Faith Love strategy and I get the idea. But we've all seen that people on the stage are not Watson. The only correct wager IMO from first place was $15,601. Get it right, guarantee the win.

At the end of the day, speaking as a hopeful contestant, I know when I make it on the show that I deserve to be there. I won't make it because someone else did poorly on their audition and I was just the best of a bad bunch; I'll make it I'm good enough and smart enough (and gosh darnit, people like me... :P ). And my wagering will reflect that, as it should for everyone who reaches those podiums.
Lecterns.

Hanna missed a chance to make an improved (IMO) version of a Jay Leno joke at "Oh I've offended you?" 1200 by not answering "What is the Redskins?" The $2400 she'd have thereby sacrificed would have made it all the more boffo.
opusthepenguin wrote:
DD2 (DJ19): Jamie bets $3000 in a category that has produced two triple-stumpers with the only get being in the top row. I was yelling "FIVE DOLLARS!!!!!!" at the TV to no avail. That was one rough category. I did finally pull the correct response on that DD, but I'm not sure if I did it in time. Under the lights I think I'd have had no chance.
What is Toulouse? Well, $3000 to start with. Perhaps the game as well, and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (though personally, I had little trouble with the category. All that practice spelling Toulouse-Lautrec paid off).

Moving 300 miles east, I don't like the phrasing "Of Monagesque descent". It seems to get the action wrong. They're Monagesque because of their ancestors, not vice-versa. People don't pay $60 plus $10 shipping to discover where their great-grandchildren come from.

We learned "mediation" and "arbitration" together in 5th grade Social Studies class. The latter does seem the better answer but I guess they were ready for both, based on Bill's quick acceptance.

So, tonight I realized that that instrument on ABBA's "I Have a Dream" is a bouzouki.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguqin wrote:DD2 (DJ19): Jamie bets $3000 in a category that has produced two triple-stumpers with the only get being in the top row. I was yelling "FIVE DOLLARS!!!!!!" at the TV to no avail. That was one rough category. I did finally pull the correct response on that DD, but I'm not sure if I did it in time. Under the lights I think I'd have had no chance.
I thought she would shine in the category, given her love for Scrabble. I was quite surprised she didn't go there on her first selection of the round.
Then when she made her wager, I was thinking, "oh man, why are you holding back?" But instead of a general word game clue, she gets a tough geography question. :evil: Bum steer of a clue that belonged in the bottom row.

I also was rooting for Jamie. Heavily. And I also would have lost the game with a 599 wager from her spot but since Elliott got it correct, he would have won anyway if he'd made the expected wager.
For right now, I'm elated that Jamie made an ill advised wager and lucked out with a big payday. Hopefully, she will finish DJ with the lead in all her future games so I won't have to sweat out her poor wagering strategy.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:20 pm
opusthepenguqin wrote:DD2 (DJ19): Jamie bets $3000 in a category that has produced two triple-stumpers with the only get being in the top row. I was yelling "FIVE DOLLARS!!!!!!" at the TV to no avail. That was one rough category. I did finally pull the correct response on that DD, but I'm not sure if I did it in time. Under the lights I think I'd have had no chance.
I thought she would shine in the category, given her love for Scrabble. I was quite surprised she didn't go there on her first selection of the round.
Then when she made her wager, I was thinking, "oh man, why are you holding back?" But instead of a general word game clue, she gets a tough geography question. :evil: Bum steer of a clue that belonged in the bottom row.
I hadn't thought about the Scrabble angle. But she'd already been stumped on loudmouth and courteous so at that point I think I'd say Scrabble Schmrabble. Maybe words with double "ou"s in them are too long to be of interest to Scrabble mavens.

In any event, she made it through and I'm delighted for her and look forward to her sophomore appearance tomorrow.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Robert K S wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Hanna said her sister came in 2nd by a buck a few years ago.
Here's my best guess for the sister: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6039
Gotta be her, thanks, and by coincidence Hanna got the WFT today.
Liz got CASSIC ROCK for her FJ category and Hanna got CLASSIC ALBUMS. I'd be in pig heaven

Jamie's wager: I suppose it's possible that Classic Albums was a wheelhouse category for Jamie. It certainly was for me but I bombed this one.
I was 18 years old in 1977 so when this clue came up, I should have had a slam dunk. All I could think of was Hotel California, Night Moves, Cat Scratch Fever, and Saturday Night Fever, knowing full well it couldn't be any of those.
Rumours is obvious in hindsight but I personaly just never embraced that album so I guess that's why it wouldn't pop into my head in 30 seconds.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:I hadn't thought about the Scrabble angle. But she'd already been stumped on loudmouth and courteous so at that point I think I'd say Scrabble Schmrabble. Maybe words with double "ou"s in them are too long to be of interest to Scrabble mavens.
Yeah, the stand & stare on Loudmouth was a head scratcher. Even I got that.
Another shocking stand & stare was Rutherford Hayes' native state. Six months from now, I won't be able to name the town again, but Ohio presidents should be hip pocket for J! contestants.
davey

Post by davey »

I've missed too many FJs in categories I favor, and got too many right in categories I find intimidating - like Classic Albums - to ever place an FJ bet based on the cat. ... :roll: I'm old enough that British spelling made this a cinch...
I gave myself arbitration without hesitation.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bill double "ou" words with the standard "notice the quotation marks" comment. I'm already giving up on waiting for an explanation of what the category "some letters/syllable" is in quotation marks means, at least at the category reveal. It is rarely explained, and usually after a non-compliant guess at a clue. This windmill will remain upright and I'll go back to the "get a damn on-screen scoreboard" windmill ;).

Good luck to Opus tilting the "explain the deficit betting option at DD's" windmill. And morbeedo's "don't call them dollars, them is points" windmill. (C'mon man, it says $2600 (as in twenty-six hundred DOLLARS) RIGHT ON THE LECTERN):lol:)

No chance for me on FJ. You could spot me Fleetwood Mac and the letter "R" and I don't get it.
I'm glad Jamie won, but not that way. I empathized with her on the tough "Toulouse" DD. I'm not a big fan of wordplay for a DD question and the clue content was pretty obscure. I didn't even know Eliott was in the hunt until he scooped the last two clues for the lead. Whatever this FJ situation is called, I don't remember the last time it happened and backfired on the leader.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

46R. 3/4 on big clues. Missed Toulouse. Got Rumours but it took me a while.

That DOUBLE "OU" WORDS category was tough for me. Matched the contestants with 1/5. Missed Entourage and Taxi in the sitcoms category.

I was in the 12th percentile on yesterday's LearnedLeague Arbitration one-day. Top 90% is nothing to scoff at. I learned more about arbitration than I really wanted to know.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Harare, neuralgia, bouzouki, joint, and Lake Ontario.

Edit: Maybe I can get Harare/Zimbabwe and Lusaka/Zambia straightened out by noting that Lusaka and Zambia both end with an "a". My prior method of noting that Lusaka and Zambia both have 6 letters has not been helpful.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

ACW wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:38 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:49 pm Since the clue mentioned the "British spelling", I wonder if "Rumors" would have been accepted?
I personally wouldn't allow it.
Now you've gone and outed yourself as John McVie.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

NHO the Upper Peninsula. Seems too hard for a top row clue.

I also said arbitration. For the transvaal question, I just said Mining and not diamond mining. Judges?

I got final instantly. I'm not an incredible fan of Fleetwood Mac but I am a serious record collector and do some buying and selling and I just handled a copy of Rumours last week.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:59 pm NHO the Upper Peninsula.
:o
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:05 am
Certainly you're aware I was mocking a particular member of our board.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:07 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:05 am
Certainly you're aware I was mocking a particular member of our board.
I was not.

I'm pretty confident the person in question got that one, though.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:59 pm For the transvaal question, I just said Mining and not diamond mining. Judges?
You were correct too, and I don't think there's any need for a BMS. Jo'burg's mining industry is primarily gold, though it was correct to accept diamonds.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

floridagator wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:59 pm
... For the transvaal question, I just said Mining and not diamond mining. Judges?
Same here. At worst, I think it would be a BMS.
OCSam
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:40 pm 3/5 for me in VWLSS STCMS as I could not spot the last two in time. Advantage WoFers. Go Hammer, gotta catch 'em all.
I dunno. The WoFers may have had a problem with one clue. In that arena, "Y" is never a vowel.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OrangeSAM wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:58 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:40 pm 3/5 for me in VWLSS STCMS as I could not spot the last two in time. Advantage WoFers. Go Hammer, gotta catch 'em all.
I dunno. The WoFers may have had a problem with one clue. In that arena, "Y" is never a vowel.
Guilty.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:58 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:45 pm I think Mark's question was whether the now-correct transcription required an erratum...
No, Mark's message was before he realized about the mistranscription.
His message included his own screenshot of the clue.

viewtopic.php?p=354777#p354777
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:28 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:45 pm I think Mark's question was whether the now-correct transcription required an erratum...

Yes, before he realized his error in archiving it.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:29 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:22 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:12 pm I don't "LV" the apparent typo in the $800 clue.
Oh, wait, was that Mark's typo or the show's? Because that changes everything. I was playing off the Archive and would have easily gotten "LV LCY".

Should there be a note or an erratum? Or the writers are doing a grade school thing of A-E-I-O-U and sometimes Y?

All I know is I don't see a Y.
Myron: complains about typo
Robert: asks whether it's the show's typo or Mark's
Mark: asks if he needs to put a note in about the missing Y, not realizing J! Archive has a Y but no C
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:19 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:28 am

Yes, before he realized his error in archiving it.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:29 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:22 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:12 pm I don't "LV" the apparent typo in the $800 clue.
Oh, wait, was that Mark's typo or the show's? Because that changes everything. I was playing off the Archive and would have easily gotten "LV LCY".

Should there be a note or an erratum? Or the writers are doing a grade school thing of A-E-I-O-U and sometimes Y?

All I know is I don't see a Y.
Myron: complains about typo
Robert: asks whether it's the show's typo or Mark's
Mark: asks if he needs to put a note in about the missing Y, not realizing J! Archive has a Y but no C
For the last line, I'd say "Mark: responds to the question by posting a screenshot of the actual clue. He then asks whether THE ACTUAL CLUE needs a note."

The state of the Archive at the time of the question is irrelevant. Mark's question is valid whether he knew the Archive needed to be corrected or not. That's because his question is about the clue as it actually appeared onscreen. He wants to know, should that actual clue have a note or not? My answer was no. Neither the fact that the Archive once contained an error nor the question of when Mark became aware of that have any bearing on this. Correcting the Archive does not invalidate a question that was never about the Archive and always about the actual clue.