Monday, April 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6346, 2012-04-02

CONTESTANTS
Randy Cauthen, a poet and professor originally from Charleston, South Carolina
Elisabeth Carrel, a copy editor from Elgin, Illinois
Sarah Curtis, a mechanical and electrical drafter from Oceanside, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $14,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. Thank you very much. I was about to say, this is almost like a biblical trio--Sarah, Elisabeth... Randy. Yeah. Okay. Welcome aboard. Good luck as we start the week with all of you, and now let's get into the Jeopardy! Round, shall we? Here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A BEASTLY CATEGORY (3/4)
APPROXIMATE WEIGHTS & MEASURES (5/5)
CRITIQUING SHAKESPEARE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
E FOLLOWS F (5/5)
HUSBANDS (4/5)
GREAT JANES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Randy: 10 R, 2 W
Sarah: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Elisabeth: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Elisabeth found the Daily Double on the 6th clue. Sarah had $200, Elisabeth had $600, and Randy was at $1,000. Elisabeth made it a True Daily Double, wagering $600.

CRITIQUING SHAKESPEARE $800: When he described "Hamlet"' as "a vulgar and barbarous drama", this French author was quite candid
(Alex: Yes. The author of Candide.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Elisabeth: $3,200
Randy: $1,400
Sarah: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Randy Cauthen is originally from South Carolina. Any relation to the famous jockey?

Randy: He's a cousin.

Alex: Okay.

Randy: Yeah, he's from the Texas branch of the family.

Alex: All right. Now you were not riding horses. You used to drive mule-drawn carriages. Where?

Randy: That's correct. Uh, in Charleston where I grew up, and we would roll out first thing in the morning, get 'em saddled up, including a leather diaper about the size and shape of a very large women's purse, and go out for eight tours a day and do that every day and survived, and so...

Alex: Leather--

Randy: Happy to be here.

Alex: A leather diaper?

Randy: That's correct.

Alex: A shovel would do just as well. You know, you just say, "stop", and then you go back and--

Randy: Well, they did not have that technology available at the time. This was when shovels were brand-new.

Alex: [Chuckles] Okay.

Alex: Elisabeth Carrel is from--is it "EL-ghin" or "EL-jin", Illinois?

Elisabeth: "EL-jin".

Alex: Elgin, Illinois. Tell me about losing your passport abroad.

Elisabeth: Well, my passport was stolen--and Eurail pass--and while I was getting them both replaced, we had to wait around Paris, so we happened to see a poster for a Bruce Springsteen concert in a travel agency, of all places, so my friend and I walked in, found the tickets were readily available, so it took about five minutes, unlike here, where it takes, you know, hour--or it did take hours then. So we got to see a concert, a Bruce Springsteen concert unexpectedly.

Alex: Exciting moment--

Elisabeth: Yes.

Alex: --in, uh, in a beautiful city, Paris.

Elisabeth: Oh, definitely.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Sarah Curtis. Mechanical and electrical drafter, which means you draw things.

Sarah: Yeah.

Alex: How did you wind up being drafting?

Sarah: I wanted to draw for a living, but I didn't want to waste all my creativity on other people's projects.

Alex: What about becoming an architect?

Sarah: Thought about that.

Alex: Yeah?

Sarah: It's, uh... it was a little expensive. Maybe someday.

Alex: Yeah. Okay. Good. Hey--

Sarah: Maybe after this.

Alex: Absolutely. Yes. Earn enough money here to pay for your tuition.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HUSBANDS $800: Octavia's (we'll give you Gaius Marcellus, whom she married around 54 B.C., but you supply this second hubby)
(Elisabeth: Who was Julius Caesar?)
(Randy: Who was Augustus?)

A BEASTLY CATEGORY $800: An Alpine variety of this amphibian can stay pregnant for 3 years & 2 months
(Sarah: What is a frog?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Randy: $4,000
Elisabeth: $3,800
Sarah: $3,600

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AMERICAN COMPOSERS (3/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
INTERNAL RHYMES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV FOR "U" (5/5)
GEOGRAPHIC NAME DERIVATIONS (5/5)
HOME (5/5)
ON THE RANGE (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Randy: 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Elisabeth: 9 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Sarah: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Randy snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Sarah had $9,600, Elisabeth had $5,800, and Randy was at $11,200. Randy wagered $3,200.

INTERNAL RHYMES $2000: Originally this term referred to ammunition fired at game to get food; today it means a critical remark

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Randy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Sarah had $9,600, Elisabeth had $11,000, and Randy was at $15,200. Randy wagered $1,400.

AMERICAN COMPOSERS $1600: His song "I Love Paris" was no doubt inspired by his years of living there
(Randy: Who is Gershwin?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
INTERNAL RHYMES $800: To return by the same route one has previously taken

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Randy: $16,200
Elisabeth: $13,000
Sarah: $11,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TRANSLATED MOVIE TITLES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Randy: Wager $9,801 to cover Elisabeth.
Elisabeth: You ought to wager to cover Sarah, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $13,000. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $9,400 (to shut out Sarah) or less than $6,600 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Sarah). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Randy.
Sarah: You ought to try wagering between $1,801 and $4,800. This will top a $0 wager by Elisabeth while still beating Randy and Elisabeth on the Triple Stumper (should Randy wager to cover Elisabeth's doubled score and Elisabeth wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This Robert de Niro film is known in Italian as "Il cacciatore"

FINAL SCORES
Sarah: $11,200 - $11,150 = $50 (What is Raging Bull) (3rd place: $1,000)
Elisabeth: $13,000 + $11,000 = $24,000 (What is The Deer Hunter) (New champion: $24,000)
Randy: $16,200 - $10,047 = $6,153 (What is The Taxi Driver?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Randy: $16,400, 21 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Elisabeth: $13,200, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Sarah: $11,200, 14 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $40,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Randy: 21/60 = .350
Elisabeth: 19/59 = .322
Sarah: 14/58 = .241
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GREAT JANES $400: Seen here, Jane Kaczmarek played Lois, the harried mom on this sitcom about a boy genius

HUSBANDS $400: Jacqueline Bouvier's 2
(Randy: Who is Onassis? Who is Aristotle Onassis?)
(Alex: Okay, We need more than that.)

HUSBANDS $1000: The former Holly Knowlton, a 1995 "Jeopardy!" contestant, is seen here with this husband of hers
(Alex: You got lucky on that one, uh, blurting out the response before you rang in, but it worked to your advantage. Select again.)

A BEASTLY CATEGORY $400: Sericulture, the use of these "worms" in fiber manufacture, goes back more than 4,000 years
(Randy: What is [*] manufacture?)
(Alex: Yep. We'll accept that, right, Billy? Yes. Thank you.)
[Alex was referring to Editorial Producer Billy Wisse.]

APPROXIMATE WEIGHTS & MEASURES $600: When used before a date, the abbreviation c. stands for this
(Alex: Yes, with a minute to go.)

E FOLLOWS F $1000: It's the term for fidelity owed by a vassal to his feudal lord
(Elisabeth: What is fiefdom?)

GEOGRAPHIC NAME DERIVATIONS $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew points to a map on the monitor.) Of New York City's 5 boroughs, these two are named for real people; one a Swede, the other a royal

HOME $1200: In 1910 this temperance crusader founded a school in Hatchet Hall, her home in Arkansas
(Randy: Who is Molly Hatchet?)

AMERICAN COMPOSERS $2000: The opera "Einstein on the Beach" was a collaboration between Robert Wilson & this composer
(Alex: With a minute to go. Right.)

ON THE RANGE $800: The name of this dish of rice stirred in hot butter or oil before simmering on the range top comes from the Persian
(Sarah: What is risotto?)

ON THE RANGE $2000: To cook Japanese noodles, whether somen, soba or these thick wheat ones, gradually add them to a pot of boiling water
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Voltaire
Marc Antony
a salamander
a potshot
Cole Porter
backtrack
The Deer Hunter
Malcolm in the Middle
John F. Kennedy & Aristotle Onassis
Petraeus
silkworms
circa
fealty
the Bronx & Queens
Carry Nation
(Philip) Glass
pilaf
udon

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Translated Movie Titles
This Robert De Niro film is known in Italian as "Il Cacciatore".
Spoiler
What is The Deer Hunter? Sarah said Raging Bull; Randy said Taxi Driver.
Randy Cauthen: $16,200-$10,047=$6,153
Elisabeth Carrel: $13,000+$11,000=$24,000...now a 1-day champion with $24,000
Sarah Curtis: $11,200-$11,150=$50
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Question. Is Uhura one of the first Star Trek characters I should know?

That artichoke clue also seemed a little undervalued.

Even when Alex said "it can mean Hunter in Italian", nothing registered in my mind. Maybe it's just because I have a headache.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Question. Is Uhura one of the first Star Trek characters I should know?
She's one of the main bridge crew, so yeah.
That artichoke clue also seemed a little undervalued.
Agreed.
Even when Alex said "it can mean Hunter in Italian", nothing registered in my mind. Maybe it's just because I have a headache.
No, that's not it.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Dick Clark seems to be recovering well from his stroke.

Full disclosure: I missed this FJ. But if I am writing trivia, a Sherman McGillicuddy* "film" is a movie that Sherman McGillicuddy directed. If he starred in it, then I call it a Sherman McGillicuddy "vehicle". That is, as long as it is understood from the category name that we are talking about a movie.

* Name changed to protect the unspoiled.
ETA--I realize now that the actual name isn't really a spoiler.
I'm smart and I want respect.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Lefty wrote:Dick Clark seems to be recovering well from his stroke.

Full disclosure: I missed this FJ. But if I am writing trivia, a Sherman McGillicuddy* "film" is a movie that Sherman McGillicuddy directed. If he starred in it, then I call it a Sherman McGillicuddy "vehicle". That is, as long as it is understood from the category name that we are talking about a movie.

* Name changed to protect the unspoiled.
I would say you have an idiosyncratic understanding of the convention "(Person X) film."

Well played. Only question that I can recall that I felt they "should" have gotten was backtrack. Some nice gets, including Calcutta. Though there was also Molly Hatchet.

I'm happy that the middle lady won, as the gentleman on the right had the habit of picking questions at the top of the board, which annoys me. The middle lady went for the third tier, which endeared me to her.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Husbands for $1000 had the pic on Gen. Petreaus and his wife Holly. HOlly was referenced in the clue as being a J! contestant in 1995. An article I found in the 5/24/09 issue of the Tampa Bay Times says she lost to the person who won the International TOurnament, ergo she must have played Michael Daunt. Daunt's original five games are not archived(11/30/95-12/6/95)

DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

If you didn't know the meaning of the Italian word, then it came down to "name a De Niro movie." I didn't guess the correct one.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

DWS wrote:If you didn't know the meaning of the Italian word, then it came down to "name a De Niro movie." I didn't guess the correct one.
That was pretty much my strategy, narrowed down to "Name a well-known De Niro movie that could be translated as a singular noun". I instantly thought Taxi Driver, as it would seem perfectly logical for the Italians to have a single word that was used for a cab driver. I considered Raging Bull, but figured there would have to be an adjective and a noun, so surely it would need two words after the "Il", right? Could they have a distinct word for an angry bull? Or could they have just translated the title as Bull? Unfortunately, while having that internal "beastly" monologue, The Deer Hunter never entered my mind, but even if it had, I think I probably would have stuck with Taxi Driver, thinking that Deer Hunter would also require being translated as two words. From Alex's description, I guess they translated the film as just "The Hunter", so I suppose it could have just as easily been "The Bull", so my reasoning would have been off in both of these cases.

I didn't care much for the 1st or 3rd place wagers. Sarah should have bet to win on a triple stumper, by betting no more than $4,600, leaving her with at least $6,400 on a miss. Randy could have made a critical mistake by betting more than the Minimum Safe Bet.(MSB) He bet a few hundred more than the MSB, which in many cases doesn't change much, but in this case it could have left him in a very unfortunate position. One common wager from 3rd place is to bet to top the leader's pre-FJ score by a dollar, which in this case could have sen Sarah bet $5,001. A miss would have left her at $6,199, below the score Randy would have on a MSB wager and miss, but above the $6,153 he finished with.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marpocky

Post by marpocky »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Question. Is Uhura one of the first Star Trek characters I should know?
Across all 5* series, there are over 40 "main "characters, plus hundreds of secondary and peripheral characters. Among them, I'm guessing the only ones likely to appear in a Jeopardy clue are the original 7, plus maybe the captains from the other series and a few "sci-fi notable" characters like Data and the holographic Doctor from Voyager.

* OK, 6, but there's no chance they're going to want you to know anything about the Animated Series apart from maybe its existence.
Last edited by marpocky on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

The "hating Shakespeare"category was a neat idea but I found the clues in that category to be too vague and trivial. The board tonight as a whole seemed a little on the easy side.

I had no guess for FJ.The only De Niro film that I could think of was Meet the Parents. Yeah.

This game started off slow. The contestants were flirtin' with disaster at the start but it turned out to be one helluva match.

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I worked under the logic that some Deniro movie featured a big meal (ya know, big Italian families and all), and obviously guessed very wrong. Not sure my usual use-my-Spanish strategy would have gotten me there if I had been smart enough to try (cacciatore=cazador).

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

DWS wrote:If you didn't know the meaning of the Italian word, then it came down to "name a De Niro movie." I didn't guess the correct one.
Ditto.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I almost confused it with Deerslayer, but corrected myself in time.

nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I said Taxi Driver, trying to draw an etymological connection between 'cacciatore' and 'chauffeur.' Because, you know, the dish is really called Chicken Taxi Driver. Whatever your chauffeur ran over in the countryside--that was dinner.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Did anyone else see Randy's confusion in the Jackie O clue? I think the ambiguity is there for someone to infer the writers were seeking not "both two" but "number two."

Got FJ from knowing Chicken Cacciatore translates as "Hunter's chicken."

Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case »

Got FJ on the last beat of the think music. I grew up loving cacciatore, hunter's sausage (available at DiPaulo's for those lucky enough to live in NYC) and as a kid I was very confused by the dish cacciatore, since I was convinced it HAD to be sausage.

And the "Molly Hatchet" response had me rolling laughing. I still giggle a little bit when I think of that. I can easily imagine doing something like that, but of course I've never been lucky enough or smart enough to be a contestant, so Randy is still way ahead of me. I mean no disrespect. :)

I was delighted to see Elisabeth win. She seemed genuinely thrilled to be on J, maybe showing some nerves, I think. I find that very endearing and completely relatable. I also liked that she was bold with her clue selections, rather unusual.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

lisa0012 wrote:Not sure my usual use-my-Spanish strategy would have gotten me there if I had been smart enough to try (cacciatore=cazador).
I was going for that, but couldn't think of any Spanish words that sounded close. And I know full well that cazador is Spanish for hunter.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I think I've had this J! nightmare: I bet it all on a movie category in FJ, and it turns out to be a food clue, not a movie clue.