Friday, May 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, May 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf »

Volante wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:36 pm
davey wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:04 pm ...James I of Scotland...was [not] likely to be in Shakespeare's audience.
Pourquoi pas?

I mean, if I'm paying a guy for work, I'd want to see results. I'm also not a king, though, so there is that.
Well, by the time Shakespeare was hitting it big, James I of Scotland had been dead for 150 years.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The clue confused me. "9th in line" made me try to think of an English monarch who was ninth in line for the Scottish throne, and since post-Elizabethan monarchs included Scotland in their kingdom, I went pre-Elizabethan with Henry VIII (though I didn't like having "VIII" in my response when "the 8th" was in the clue). I get it now.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:43 pm James I of Scotland was long dead. They are up to James VI of Scotland by Shakespeare's Time.
James VI of Scotland would become James I of England.
mas3cf wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:43 pm Well, by the time Shakespeare was hitting it big, James I of Scotland had been dead for 150 years.
Thanks, brain! Like everyone else needed more evidence you skip town in the early evening...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

40R. 2/4 on big clues. Didn't get Lexington. Tried to think of Tudor kings but that didn't work so I tried to think of Scottish kings and wrote down Robert the Bruce. Didn't think it was right but figured better than nothing. Now I know Shakespeare was around for the start of the Stuarts.

Missed hope and said providence. Missed down in the dumps and said down in the trenches. Missed mantra and said Om. Missed stand and "wait" and said "deliver". Lots of misses today.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Peace Corps, Anglican (Book of Common Prayer), Wilmington, Bay window, and confessor.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:53 pm

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time
I like this approach and think I'll adopt it myself.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I saw this window types guide posted on another website the other day but missed bay window today:
Spoiler
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:04 pm Macduff kills Macbeth, but it's Malcolm who ascends to the throne at the end of the play.
Yeah, that's who I was probably thinking of. It's been 40 years since I've read Macbeth.

As far as James I of Scotland, who cares if he was already dead? James I on it's own should not be good.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Henry VIII as a filler for an empty slate. 60 years too early for a 1606 performance.

I was too slow to get to Curie even though I am familiar with the Curie temperature for metals. I never made the personal connection that he or she might have discovered the phenomenon.

Baa Baa black sheep. Ring the doorbell and run. King of the mountain. I like these childhood themed clues - are we getting a few more of them?

There may not be a need for another TOC. Three wins seems to be the wall.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bummed at Jamie's loss. She led for most of the game and all she needed was a FJ that she could process. I was really hoping she would get five wins.

Juliet wagered too much but would have won on a triple stumper because Sara also overwagered. I had Juliet's best wager at 5999.

LT: Trans Atlantic Cable
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I must say, writing any clue, FJ or not, that contains the words "may have been" is not exactly factually sound. James I may have been in Bora Bora for all we know. I'd expect whoever did the research for the clue to know, and not include this supposition if they didn't know.

Did it affect the history knowledge needed to parse this FJ? Nah. It just makes for a clue I found to be lacking in precision.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:56 am I must say, writing any clue, FJ or not, that contains the words "may have been" is not exactly factually sound. James I may have been in Bora Bora for all we know. I'd expect whoever did the research for the clue to know, and not include this supposition if they didn't know.

Did it affect the history knowledge needed to parse this FJ? Nah. It just makes for a clue I found to be lacking in precision.
Takes me back to my losing FJ: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3135
davey

Post by davey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:56 am I must say, writing any clue, FJ or not, that contains the words "may have been" is not exactly factually sound. James I may have been in Bora Bora for all we know. I'd expect whoever did the research for the clue to know, and not include this supposition if they didn't know.

The uncertainty is part of the history-
Macbeth cannot be precisely dated, but the play features many compliments to King James VI/I suggesting the original writing is Jacobean rather than Elizabethan. The procession of Kings in Act Four could date the composition to be around 1603 – the year James Stuart ascended the English throne – and celebrates his ancestors (James traced his lineage to Banquo). References to 'equivocation' by the Porter in Act Two and other allusions are seen to be references to the trial of the Gunpowder Plot conspirators which took place in January – March 1606.
An eyewitness account by Dr Simon Forman dates the first public performance of Macbeth at the outdoor Globe Theatre in April 1611, though it was most likely performed at Court before King James in August or December 1606.

https://www.rsc.org.uk/macbeth/about-th ... nd-sources
The fact that James I was the monarch of England was the reason for the favorable references. If he'd still been just James VI no reason for Shakespeare to flatter him.
Apparently, in Shakespeare's source Holinshed, Banquo is an accomplice to the murder of Duncan. Shakespeare removes the plot point. James was thought to be descended from Banquo.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This clue could just as easily have been about the play's allusions to the Gunpowder Plot.

http://www.shakespeare-online.com/biogr ... rplot.html
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:48 am This clue could just as easily have been about the play's allusions to the Gunpowder Plot.

http://www.shakespeare-online.com/biogr ... rplot.html
Sure, and it could make a good clue in the future...but the idea that Shakespeare was under suspicion for the Plot is more speculative than whether the play was written to please James. "Theory has it..." indeed...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:50 pm I didn't even know Scotland *had* kings.
They last had a king in 1952.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:08 pmThe CC had "weight" for the Milton clue. :lol:
What the heck is going on with the captions? The captions on Jeopardy were always perfect, always, for years. From the spelling, to mispronunciations, they always had them spot-on.

Now I see a mistake or two a week. Weight instead of wait. And many more. We've gone from none a year, to 100+ a year.

What happened?
davey

Post by davey »

astrohip wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:54 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:08 pmThe CC had "weight" for the Milton clue. :lol:
What the heck is going on with the captions? The captions on Jeopardy were always perfect, always, for years. From the spelling, to mispronunciations, they always had them spot-on.

Now I see a mistake or two a week. Weight instead of wait. And many more. We've gone from none a year, to 100+ a year.

What happened?
Maybe somebody retired? It's now more in line with most closed captioning, no question. (I thought that phrase was a common idiom, but since it was a triple-stumper too, maybe not...)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:19 am Sure, and it could make a good clue in the future...but the idea that Shakespeare was under suspicion for the Plot is more speculative than whether the play was written to please James. "Theory has it..." indeed...
I just think it's good trivia that the Gunpowder Plot and the writing of Macbeth were more or less contemporaneous.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

astrohip wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:54 am What the heck is going on with the captions? The captions on Jeopardy were always perfect, always, for years. From the spelling, to mispronunciations, they always had them spot-on.

What happened?
I've noticed it a lot on Wheel too. Sometimes the captions will even misspell the answer to the puzzle!
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Didn’t get to watch cause I accidentally deleted it off the dvr and the link I got previously is now dead.