Tuesday, May 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BOOKS OF THE BIBLE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its last chapter includes wisdom from King Lemuel, taught to him by his mother, as well as the famous "Virtuous Woman" passage

Juliet Mayer: 16400-5000=11400
Jeff Mitchum: 15600+15600=31200 (New Champ)
Lara Phillips: 10400+10000=20400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Proverbs (Juliet – Judges)

Daily Doubles
Lara: 1600+1400
Jeff: 4200+4200
Jeff: 9200-3200

Coryats
Juliet: 16400
Jeff: 15800
Lara: 9600

Combined: 41,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Juliet: 6800
Jeff: 3400
Lara: 6000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Even though it's now news, it was still cool to hear Bill announce the ToC would be starting next week.

Juliet played no DDs, yet still led for the FJ! round thanks to Jeff missing DD3 and her getting DJ! 30. That could have been a point of haunting regret for Jeff to have narrowly trailed while instead he maxed out his pay day thanks to the solve. Juliet not only missed the FJ! clue but also only wagered to try to get to 21400 which while above Lara's top potential, was way shy of what Jeff could reach.

Jeff posted on Reddit that he is a PK and also minored in theology, so he knew the correct response.

The FJ! clue stumped me. First I looked at King Lemuel and had nothing other than that being Gulliver's first name. "Virtuous Woman" rang slight bells, but I could not place it anywhere. Not once during think time did I have the "wisdom" to notice other words in the clue.

The best I could muster was to toss a coin for books named after women and I wrote Ruth. :roll:

Even if I had gone from "wisdom" to a different king I probably would have still picked the wrong book although I would have been on a better 50:50 chance.

Nice by the players to make the clue go 66% as I suspect it may poll lower on this board. Opus can enjoy his gimme solve.

I found a couple of relevant clues from previous games:
Spoiler

#5816, aired 2009-12-21 PRECIOUS SENTIMENTS $1200: Proverbs 31:10 tells us that a "virtuous woman" has a price "far above" these
#3997, aired 2002-01-08 SCRIPTURE SAYETH $1000: Proverbs asketh, "Who can find a virtuous woman? For her price is far above" these gems

And when doing that research discovered my knowledge was lacking in that area so much that I did not know (or recall) "rubies" either.
In a stereotypical mental side bet I lost when the first chat was not about cats and instead about a car covered with computer disks.
Golf

Post by Golf »

No matter how often the dead wagering horse is beaten, contestants never seem to comprehend the concept. Am about to give up, throw up my hands, and exclaim “I informed you thusly, I so informed you thusly!”
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

None of the clue meant anything to me, so I just picked a random book and it wasn't Proverbs.
brick

Post by brick »

Judges ruling: For Ride of the Valkyrie I said "Kill the Rabbit"... What say you all?

For FJ I guessed Song of Solomon... which is not a totally shameful guess... just wrong.
Golf

Post by Golf »

brick wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:41 pm Judges ruling: For Ride of the Valkyrie I said "Kill the Rabbit"... What say you all?
Absolutely. Assuming you sang it three times with the appropriate melody and gusto.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Classical Music,
DDs: :? (NFI), :D :D
trash: exit, brow, Sojourner Truth DD, Bering Sea, Java, (4600)
FJ: What is Proverbs? :mrgreen: Instaget before the host finished reading. Shocked :o this wasn't a triget.
Had Sea of Galilee for Dead Sea :x
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

My 50/50/90 went the wrong way as I chose the wrong one between Psalms and Proverbs. Ah well.

One of my pet peeves is contestants choosing a second row clue when entering a category. Today is a perfect example of why I hate that because:
-Jeff went to $400 in THAT'S FIT TO PRINT, Lara got it right, chose the $600 clue in the same category, and found the DD
-Juliet went to $800 in CLASSICAL MUSIC, Jeff got it right, chose the $1200 clue in the same category, and found the DD
-Jeff went to $800 in NOTABLE WOMEN, and while he got the clue right and picked the next clue down in the category where the DD was hidden, he could've found it right away by picking the $1200 clue first

When you don't start at the top of the category, I assume it's because you're hunting for daily doubles, and I don't see the point in half-assing it by going to the second row. I know that there's plenty of DDs in the course of a season in the second row, but it makes more sense to me to go for at least the third row or further down where the daily doubles are more likely to be. That's just my take, anyway.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

On the clue for plagiarize, did anyone else respond "paraphrase"? It's not a perfect fit with the clue, but fits the category much better, in my opinion.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

brick wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:41 pm Judges ruling: For Ride of the Valkyrie I said "Kill the Rabbit"... What say you all?
Oh, so sorry! It’s Kill the Wabbit.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

jev15 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:22 pm On the clue for plagiarize, did anyone else respond "paraphrase"?
I did, too. I was wondering about that ruling.

No clue on FJ!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:03 pm No matter how often the dead wagering horse is beaten, contestants never seem to comprehend the concept. Am about to give up, throw up my hands, and exclaim “I informed you thusly, I so informed you thusly!”
Sometimes you have to bet against yourself
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Golf wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:03 pm No matter how often the dead wagering horse is beaten, contestants never seem to comprehend the concept. Am about to give up, throw up my hands, and exclaim “I informed you thusly, I so informed you thusly!”
Unless you are complaining the Jeff's over wager (because he did, based purely on game theory), then you can only be complaining about Juliets under wager.

but just what if, Juliet looked at the FJ! category and said to herself, "I am so screwed right now."

Then her bet actually looks, pretty smart. I find it interesting that Juliets wager, wins on a triple stumper, if Jeff makes the bet to cover for second place (the text book 5,201) Also, if second and third bets they way you think they should then she would have won on a triple get.

The fact that she missed the question, shows that her wager was a lot smarter than covering for first, in that it gave her a chance to win with the actual result of her answer.

Considering the contestants get FJ! right about half the time. If one feels stronger positively or negatively about the odds of answering the question based on the category. It should make a difference on how they wager off of game theory at times.

Jeff over-wagered. Then I read on here he minored in theology. Good over wager.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

41R. 3/4 on big clues. Missed Proverbs. I've seen information about the clue before and knew it was one of the books in the "writings" section of the Bible. Couldn't decide between Psalms, Proverbs, or Song of Solomon. Picked Song of Solomon. I should really go read the Bible SparkNotes. This is probably the 4th or 5th time I've said that this year without doing it yet.

I got Nellie Bly confused with Frances Farmer, then got Frances Farmer confused with Fannie Flagg. Fried Green Tomatoes was not about being institutionalized.

Missed Fur Elise, Rita Hayworth, Maria Callas, and Seagram's. Oh the shame. :roll: Really should be able to get all those with no problem.

Went 1/5 on dresses. That will always be a weak category for me. Any good ideas from board members on how to be better at fashion or women's fashion categories? Not a strong point for Sporcle or any of the usual study places.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Judy Blume, Wilkie Collins, chartreuse, the Coral Sea, and July 1st/Canada Day.
The Talking Mime wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:02 pm One of my pet peeves is contestants choosing a second row clue when entering a category. Today is a perfect example of why I hate that because:
-Jeff went to $400 in THAT'S FIT TO PRINT, Lara got it right, chose the $600 clue in the same category, and found the DD
-Juliet went to $800 in CLASSICAL MUSIC, Jeff got it right, chose the $1200 clue in the same category, and found the DD
-Jeff went to $800 in NOTABLE WOMEN, and while he got the clue right and picked the next clue down in the category where the DD was hidden, he could've found it right away by picking the $1200 clue first

When you don't start at the top of the category, I assume it's because you're hunting for daily doubles, and I don't see the point in half-assing it by going to the second row. I know that there's plenty of DDs in the course of a season in the second row, but it makes more sense to me to go for at least the third row or further down where the daily doubles are more likely to be. That's just my take, anyway.
That will be my strategy when I get on the show. Sorry.

The top row clues don't have daily doubles and they tend to be the easiest clues. You're essentially giving away control of the board by picking the top row clues and it's recommended to never pick them. It's better to start from the second row.

If I was good enough then I would do the James Holzhauer strategy of starting at the bottom row. I'm not a fan of hunting for daily doubles because if you find them too early then they don't do as much to secure your lock and they reduce the chance of a big pay day. I would consider strategically hunting for daily doubles depending on the competition.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

jpr281 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:23 pm
jev15 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:22 pm On the clue for plagiarize, did anyone else respond "paraphrase"?
I did, too. I was wondering about that ruling.

No clue on FJ!
Paraphrasing does not require passing ideas off as one's own, so no.
I also went for the books named for women (and ended up with Esther). I guess focusing on "wisdom" would have been smart, but neither King Lemuel nor the Virtuous Woman meant a thing to me...
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I had to read from Song of Solomon at my sister's wedding. I was scandalized and cancelled my subscription forthwith. Proverbs seemed a better bet for wisdom. Having now just looked it up, I guess "Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies" will ring a bell for many.

I thought "Sea of Azov" a nice get to take the lead into FJ, though the TS on "Dead Sea" didn't augur well for the trio in "Books of the Bible".

I haven't commented much on the various guest hosts, but I find Bill easier to take than many seem to. "Easy to take" may seem like faint praise, but I don't mean it so. He moves the game along and seems to know what's right and wrong.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Golf

Post by Golf »

The Talking Mime wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:02 pm When you don't start at the top of the category, I assume it's because you're hunting for daily doubles, and I don't see the point in half-assing it by going to the second row. I know that there's plenty of DDs in the course of a season in the second row, but it makes more sense to me to go for at least the third row or further down where the daily doubles are more likely to be. That's just my take, anyway.
Two items to consider. 1, more DD's are found in row 4 than any other. 2, the higher up a DD is, the more valuable it is because the clue is easier.

So finding a DD in row 2 is almost an automatic TDD, not so in say rows 4 or 5. That's one reason contestants should hunt in row 2 even though there's not as many there as rows 4 and 5.

There are two reasons to hunt for DD's. 1, to bet big and distance yourself from your opponents. 2, to keep your opponents for doing the same. So for many players, finding a DD in rows 2 or 3 is a huge offensive opportunity. Finding a DD in rows 4 or 5 is a good defensive opportunity.

Any contestant picking a top row clue with DD's still on the board is throwing away winning opportunities with every clue selection. It's that simple barring certain endgame scenarios of course.

Sherm wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:55 pm Unless you are complaining the Jeff's over wager (because he did, based purely on game theory), then you can only be complaining about Juliets under wager.

but just what if, Juliet looked at the FJ! category and said to herself, "I am so screwed right now."

Then her bet actually looks, pretty smart. I find it interesting that Juliets wager, wins on a triple stumper, if Jeff makes the bet to cover for second place (the text book 5,201) Also, if second and third bets they way you think they should then she would have won on a triple get.

The fact that she missed the question, shows that her wager was a lot smarter than covering for first, in that it gave her a chance to win with the actual result of her answer.

Considering the contestants get FJ! right about half the time. If one feels stronger positively or negatively about the odds of answering the question based on the category. It should make a difference on how they wager off of game theory at times.

Jeff over-wagered. Then I read on here he minored in theology. Good over wager.
I can live with Juliet's wager, it forces 3rd to answer correct and locks her out with a correct answer. I would personally never do it because of the possible lifelong emotional consequences, but it's logically sound.

Of course Jeff overwagered, and threw away lots of winning chances in the process. Sure, he wins more money if all goes well, but is it worth throwing those chances away? I've always said it's worth it if you are a weak player who doesn't feel capable of winning another game. But if that's the way you feel about your winning chances, perhaps you should just stay home. If you feel confident about winning more games, the overwager is never worth the risk.

And then there's Lara's wager, arguably the worst of the bunch. Zero thought, absolute minimum winning chances.

It's wagers like this and also on DD's why we don't see that many superchamps. Players just continuously play not to lose instead of playing to win.