Friday, May 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, May 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

I was inordinately irritated that 2 players thought they had to repeat the homophone...Why?
Also irritated that Hanoi was the best I could come up with for FJ...except I called it Ho Chi Minh City... :oops: :oops:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:57 pm Also irritated that Hanoi was the best I could come up with for FJ...except I called it Ho Chi Minh City... :oops: :oops:
That must be some strange map of Asia you have in your head ...
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:02 pm
davey wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:57 pm Also irritated that Hanoi was the best I could come up with for FJ...except I called it Ho Chi Minh City... :oops: :oops:
That must be some strange map of Asia you have in your head ...
I'd say the point is I don't carry vivid maps in my head...I am the 2d person in the thread to consider Vietnam, though...Yes, Turkey is rather obvious in retrospect...

Another thing...Why English peas? Anything wrong with just peas...?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:31 pm I think the best way to rule out Jerusalem is to recognize Jeopardy isn’t going to ask a contestant to choose between that and Beirut as far as westernmost. Therefore neither can be correct.
(Let alone the possibility of adding Ramallah to the mix...)

Or that by asking about it, it would have to be Beirut... :oops:
The plus side, my -country- map of Asia was spot on. I just put Ankara where... *pulls up Google Maps* ...Bingol, Turkey, is.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

43R. 2/4 on big clues. Did not get protein or term limits. For FJ I got confused on "mainland Asia" and didn't know exactly what that meant. Why not just say Asia? Then I tried to think of a country in the west of Asia and got to Turkey and Ankara.

I was just thinking Bennifer was in the news a lot. Maybe the show writers have cupid powers.

Also good to know that the Jeopardy! folks are familiar with holograms in entertainment. I haven't seen it mentioned in the search for a permanent host but a hologram of Alex Trebek would be best. If they need to dim the lights in the studio in order to make that work I would be ok with a cosmic bowling type Jeopardy! tournament of champions setup.

Bill Whitaker did well. I really liked him. I'm looking forward to the ToC next week and the new season of LearnedLeague.

I said "jury people" instead of jurors. I'm counting it.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Degas, Gwyneth Paltrow, latex, Menachem Begin/Anwar Sadat, and La La Land.

Only did 1/5 on LEGUMES. I like beans and I thought that would be a strong category for me.

Missed Salman Rushdie and said V. S. Naipaul, missed Begin/Sadat and said Begin/Arafat. Missed steel industry and said manufacturing.
davey wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:10 pm Another thing...Why English peas? Anything wrong with just peas...?
Just peas is fine.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I was expecting outrage in this thread about Justin's Daily Double response of "Poor's" being accepted when the correct response was the name "(Henry) Poor."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

trainman wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:00 pm I was expecting outrage in this thread about Justin's Daily Double response of "Poor's" being accepted when the correct response was the name "(Henry) Poor."
They wanted "this man's" service or whatever it was, so I'm fine with Poor's.
Golf

Post by Golf »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:56 pm I said "jury people" instead of jurors. I'm counting it.
Vote for Elle!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

trainman wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:00 pm I was expecting outrage in this thread about Justin's Daily Double response of "Poor's" being accepted when the correct response was the name "(Henry) Poor."
I was waiting for reversal but also cognizant that the clue syntax might give an acceptable pathway. Econgator has confirmed that viewpoint.

I was also waiting for a reversal on "Blackfoot". TIL that they are interchangeable, with "Blackfeet" mostly used in the US and "Blackfoot" used in Canada
davey wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:57 pm I was inordinately irritated that 2 players thought they had to repeat the homophone...Why?
How much irritation would be an ordinate amount? We're pretending to supply the question for a plural answer.

What is a moose and a mousse?
An antlered ruminant & a frothy whipped cream dessert. This is the clue on the show.

What is a moose?
An antlered ruminant OR a frothy whipped cream dessert. This doesn't match the show's clue.

I hope this helps with your angst. I don't have any problem with redundancy because I've been married a long time :).

I take the "Mainland Asia" description as an acknowledgment that the Arabian peninsula is just technically in Asia to mess me up on some J! clues. It kept me away from there, but I was going for Bangladesh as a new country, but can't name the capital. Turns out I don't know Turkey's capital either.

Goodbye, Bill.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:57 pm I was inordinately irritated that 2 players thought they had to repeat the homophone...Why?
Same.
-----
I did go with Ankara for FJ, but was definitely thinking "It's sort of in the middle of Turkey. Is that really west of Israel and Lebanon?"
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I probably would have been 95% certain on Ankara if I hadn't had the nagging worry about how recently there was the FJ about Istanbul (not Constantinople). I'm sure FJ's are randomized more than I'm thinking.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Kristen could have won the game if she'd known lentils, or if she'd gone tdd on her Supreme Court Daily Double.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

"Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner" also would have been acceptable for the Bennifer clue, right?
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:47 am I take the "Mainland Asia" description as an acknowledgment that the Arabian peninsula is just technically in Asia to mess me up on some J! clues. It kept me away from there, but I was going for Bangladesh as a new country, but can't name the capital. Turns out I don't know Turkey's capital either.
I ended up on the right country, but inexplicably came up with Zagreb as the capital of Turkey.

...I have no idea how, either.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

heela.jpg
heela.jpg (6.93 KiB) Viewed 3729 times
I was trying to figure how Justin could finesse the "this man's company" DD to cover both bases. I don't think "Who is Poors?" was the way.

Too bad Kristen did not go all in on the last DD. On the bright side, I'll forget about it by tomorrow.

For those perhaps too young: In the early 2000s, the actors Matt Damon and Ben Affleck loomed large in our lives. They loomed large in everyone's lives, actually. This was the height of Bennifer. Sorry, I hate to resuscitate that term, which the media has thankfully put to bed, but it's important to remember what a phenomenon it was. It was like Pippa Middleton plus Beyoncé's legs times the latest Apple product. Bennifer was so big it was as though two people had never been in love before, and they had discovered it. --Mindy Kaling, "Is Everyone Hanging out without Me?"
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:56 pm For FJ I got confused on "mainland Asia" and didn't know exactly what that meant. Why not just say Asia?
Cyprus is often considered to be an Asian country, EU membership notwithstanding. Specifying mainland removes it from consideration, which is helpful since Nicosia is farther west than Ankara. (I wish I had thought of that at the time, as it might have steered me toward Turkey. Instead I ruled it out for being in two continents and said Jerusalem instead.)

[edit: I was wrong about which was farther west. I looked it up and everything, but switched up which was 33° and 32° east.]
Last edited by seaborgium on Sat May 15, 2021 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Newhausen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:00 am "Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner" also would have been acceptable for the Bennifer clue, right?
I don't think so. Looks like it only applies to Jennifer Lopez and not Jennifer Garner. I couldn't find a source supporting this but if you can find one then you have an argument.
seaborgium wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:37 am
MattKnowles wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:56 pm For FJ I got confused on "mainland Asia" and didn't know exactly what that meant. Why not just say Asia?
Cyprus is often considered to be an Asian country, EU membership notwithstanding. Specifying mainland removes it from consideration, which is helpful since Nicosia is farther west than Ankara. (I wish I had thought of that at the time, as it might have steered me toward Turkey. Instead I ruled it out for being in two continents and said Jerusalem instead.)
Ankara is slightly farther west from what I can see. Your reasoning that they did it to remove Nicosia from consideration seems credible.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:21 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:37 am
Ankara is slightly farther west from what I can see. Your reasoning that they did it to remove Nicosia from consideration seems credible.
You're right; I looked up the coordinates for Ankara and Nicosia and mixed up which one had the lower longitude.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

econgator wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:05 pm
They wanted "this man's" service or whatever it was, so I'm fine with Poor's.
I was outraged.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:21 am
Newhausen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:00 am "Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner" also would have been acceptable for the Bennifer clue, right?
I don't think so. Looks like it only applies to Jennifer Lopez and not Jennifer Garner. I couldn't find a source supporting this but if you can find one then you have an argument.
I'm going to say no based on these explicitly saying 'Bennifer' was -not- applied during the Affleck-Garner years:

https://www.nationalworld.com/whats-on/ ... ed-3234486
Meanwhile, Affleck moved on to marry Jennifer Garner in 2005 (a missed ‘Bennifer 2.0’ opportunity’) and welcomed three children together - Violet, 15, Seraphina, 12, and nine-year-old Samuel.
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... a-1168412/
If there must be a Bennifer 2.0, let it be Affleck and his ex-wife Jennifer Garner. She seems lovely, and maybe she can finally convince him to get rid of his phoenix back tattoo.
That said, there is reference to 'Bennifer 3.0' out there as the current Affleck-Lopez, but they seem to be retroactively applying Bennifer 2.0 to Affleck-Garner. That might(?) be enough for the judges?...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

On The Colbert Report once, Stephen Colbert had a segment about celebrity couples where he focused on Pitt/Jolie, Affleck/Garner, and Macy/Huffman as examples to follow in "Stephen's Laws of Love." Law #1 was to pair up with "someone whose name can be merged with yours to form a marketable nickname, just like Brangelina, Bennifer 2, or... Filliam H. Muffman." So we have a contemporary use of "Bennifer," albeit with a suffix, to refer to Ben Affleck's second Jennifer coupling. (And yes, this is from a comedy show and therefore perhaps shouldn't be taken seriously, but throughout the segment Jolie/Pitt and Affleck/Garner are used as apparently factual setups for an absurd Macy/Huffman punchline.)