Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by twelvefootboy »

JBizarro results:

KerryOakie is the Lord of the Bizarro world! 8-) . There's no tiebreakers needed as she dominated:
1) 3's assigned with an impressive 22 triples issued.
2) DE of .146, the also-rans are in the low to mid 0.3's
3) Longest streak of 3's assigned with 8 in a row, matched by two others.

Basically the top 7 were active combatants at Bizarro engagement with 3 functional abstentions (Bamaman was dropped from the grid early on).

Besides KerryOakie's dominance, the play of our A+ player was very noteworthy. We all got the benefit of easy 3's playing against his 135 TCA and his 12 six-packs. (although he did miss 'calf', lol...)

I'll possibly drop some more details later about our little experiment in reverse defense. I also would like to shout out to the good singleton gets, although it will have to be filtered by humans vs. krakens. The grid should be self-explanatory, with the hiccups listed for the first few players. I'll spoiler anything else I can after this post, but I am unable to spoiler the graphics using imgur.

LL90 will play normal with some handicap commentary potentially. Anybody have any fun ideas, let me know.

Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Going into yesterday's match I was #3 in A Laguna, at the bottom of the championship qualifying zone, leading #4 (who led the league in correct answers by a wide margin) only in MPD. What's more, he was playing against my newest referral (and his referrer and son), who had already lamented to me about having to go up against his parent, against whom he didn't stand a chance, for the last match of the season, while ranked #25 and trying to claw out of relegation. So I figured I just had to win to save myself, and maybe I could do so by enough of a margin that he could move up in MPD (I was playing against #24). I got 4 right, so it wasn't impossible, but kind of a long shot.

My opponent defended me perfectly, and got all 6. But my referral won, 3(3)-2(3)! He thus saved me from #4 (who already won A Laguna last season) and even though I couldn't get #24 to fall behind him, #23 fell to #27 and so he moved up to the last spot above relegation. So he gets to play in A Laguna again, and I get to play in the LL Championship, finally, in my tenth year with the league.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

teapot37 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:26 pm
RandyG wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:59 pm Apparently all these years I've had one false memory after another of ever being a child. 93% get rate on "Marco Polo" as the aquatic equivalent of blind man's bluff? I'm not connecting with that at all. :?
Nicely illustrated. Generally, I don't care for Geico ads, but this one is cute.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

My Sandra was even better than I thought ... I came in tied for 14th out of the whole league of 23,942 -- the 99.994th percentile.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:09 am JBizarro results:

KerryOakie is the Lord of the Bizarro world! 8-) . There's no tiebreakers needed as she dominated:

Basically the top 7 were active combatants at Bizarro engagement with 3 functional abstentions (Bamaman was dropped from the grid early on).

Besides KerryOakie's dominance, the play of our A+ player was very noteworthy. We all got the benefit of easy 3's playing against his 135 TCA and his 12 six-packs. (although he did miss 'calf', lol...)

I'll possibly drop some more details later about our little experiment in reverse defense. I also would like to shout out to the good singleton gets, although it will have to be filtered by humans vs. krakens. The grid should be self-explanatory, with the hiccups listed for the first few players. I'll spoiler anything else I can after this post, but I am unable to spoiler the graphics using imgur.

LL90 will play normal with some handicap commentary potentially. Anybody have any fun ideas, let me know.
I will gladly take my rightful place upon the Iron Throne and bask in my victory. Achieving 0.146 DE is a skill and one that all other Bizarros should fear! In all seriousness, it was a fun deviation from the norm, but sometimes my brain was very confused when assigning defenses (especially if the category strengths of my opponents didn't match up). I'll start thinking about other ways to spice up LL90.

In my regular LL play, I finished with a very painful 5th place (one spot out of promotion), even though I had my second-worst TCA since starting LL. If I had been just a smidge better on defense on MD25, I would've won rather than tied and locked promotion.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

After the second day I started using a random number generator for defense in the Bizzaro rundle. Wound up at .530, which makes me feel better about going .660 in my real rundle.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:57 am After the second day I started using a random number generator for defense in the Bizzaro rundle. Wound up at .530, which makes me feel better about going .660 in my real rundle.
I was 0.484 in Bizarro, and 0.638 in real rundle...I did forget a couple of times what we were doing in Bizarro so probably more around 0.400 for days I actually tried to assign 3 to easiest question. Overall it was interesting but made me realize I need to re-evaluate whats easy and not. I do think I managed to correctly assign a 3 or a 2 on each day.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

classicroadster wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:58 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:57 am After the second day I started using a random number generator for defense in the Bizzaro rundle. Wound up at .530, which makes me feel better about going .660 in my real rundle.
I was 0.484 in Bizarro, and 0.638 in real rundle...I did forget a couple of times what we were doing in Bizarro so probably more around 0.400 for days I actually tried to assign 3 to easiest question. Overall it was interesting but made me realize I need to re-evaluate whats easy and not. I do think I managed to correctly assign a 3 or a 2 on each day.
I wasn’t aware how this season was supposed to work when I signed up and played it straight for two days. The concept made my heart hurt and doing defense twice is a PITA to begin with so I just used random.org for the rest of the season.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Heck, I wasn't trying, but I still gave away 3's on 17 of 25 days.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

kerryoakie wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:20 am

In my regular LL play, I finished with a very painful 5th place (one spot out of promotion), even though I had my second-worst TCA since starting LL. If I had been just a smidge better on defense on MD25, I would've won rather than tied and locked promotion.
I'm in the same spot (5th place, one spot out of promotion, having spent all four non-rookie seasons out of D). If only I'd gone with my gut on The Postman Always Rings Twice...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:41 pm

Seriously? It is harder to defend 80-100 level TCA players, but maybe a better comparison is how many zeroes did you hit? (mostly rhetorical question - I'm still digesting the gameplay and wonder about the converse goal of always assigning your zero to a miss).

KerryOakie got derailed from the perfect season by Zinc, the TicTok morons, and Doubt. The Zinc fail was a bad outcome on a good play. I can second guess the other two assignments, but that is from my narrow goggles.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:16 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:41 pm

Seriously? It is harder to defend 80-100 level TCA players, but maybe a better comparison is how many zeroes did you hit? (mostly rhetorical question - I'm still digesting the gameplay and wonder about the converse goal of always assigning your zero to a miss).
15 (3 more from 9(6)s, which I'm not counting). So, then I guess only 14 3's "given away". My normal B rundle DE was just shy of .700, so I was -.145 this season.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I gave out seven in my D rundle out of 67 CAA.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I can't match the 15 zeroes, but I just audited my LL87 trainwreck and also gave out 14 threes of 70 CAA and got kicked from D to E as a result. I did slightly better on zeroes, only wasting 10 of them. My nine season DE is only .614, and I've had four seasons below .550.

In LL89 I got stingy and only gave out 4 threes, while wasting 9 zeroes. I had the 4th easiest schedule with 60 CAA and will be promoted to C despite my 14th place TCA of 68. To butcher an old phrase: It won't be fun while it lasts :lol:.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Mini League Opera 2 G53 - starts tomorrow!

I expect to finish in the middle of the pack
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I've done over 200 One-Days in my six-year career but have only achieved three 12/12's: Peanuts (by Schulz), Particle Physics, and... Rage Against the Machine. Not sure what that says about me.
The Mystery Theme ML just wasn't as good as the Mystery Theme One-Days. I like the concepts of Mystery Themes and Stuff (Or Else!) but there's too much difficulty variation on each ML match day to know what you're going to get.
Hoping for a third lap
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I scored a perfect 12 on the Geographic Outlines 2. Switched one of my moneys at the last second and that dropped me from 8th to 68th.

The Mystery Theme ML did not go so well. Oof.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

There is an Alex Trebek 1DS today.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I only got around to making 9 flashcards for the 70s Movies minileague, but one of them managed to pay off on the last day. I'd been riding high at first, but I was playing number 3 on MD11, and if he beat me, I'd drop down to 3rd on the first tiebreaker. Fortunately, the Sporcle quiz on 70s movies that I played just after MD1 included a question about Badlands, and I dropped that and Terrence Mallick onto a card. I'd have missed 3 points for the loss otherwise.

On to the Championship, where I suspect I'll be smashed up but good, as usual.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I can't believe the new season starts on Monday! I was thinking it was still a couple weeks out.