Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Learned League 89 - May/Jun '21

Post by Ironhorse »

I know full well what a first down signal looks like but I couldn't parse the description. I ended up putting "touchback".

I was glad that my answer of "Hallelujah Chorus" was accepted.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Mark mentioned it above, but as a PSA I will reiterate that the Midseason Classic is this weekend.
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:00 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:54 am Gotta say, I'm baffled that over half the league doesn't know what a first down signal looks like. Sadly, combined with my horrendous defense this season, that turned my six-pack into a 9(6)-9(5) tie.
Not a sports person. I was between “down” and field goal- figured field goal was wrong but put it anyway. Ended up with a 6(5)-6(4) tie bc my opponent picked up 3 points for it :/
Field Goal is possibly the most easily recognizable hand gesture ... the ref puts their arms up in the same stucture as the bars that the field goal must pass through. They're basically saying "Hey look, my head is the football and they kicked it between my arms". :D
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:52 pm I know full well what a first down signal looks like but I couldn't parse the description. I ended up putting "touchback".

I thought the description was a jumbled mess and put defensive penalty, which was accepted.

My opponent lives in New Zealand but I looked at his question history and he has done well in American sports so I assigned zero (as did he) and he got it right. I wound up winning because he didn’t know Messiah/Hallelujah Chorus. I knew the Spanish question but wasn’t exactly sure what it is or how to spell it.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:52 pm I know full well what a first down signal looks like but I couldn't parse the description. I ended up putting "touchback".

I answered "touchback" as well. Already expressed my confusion above. Although I don't follow football at all anymore, I could probably still mimic every official signal upon request, which made the question additionally frustrating. At least I still lost regardless of this question. (Five losses in a row make me an unhappy camper. But still a ways to go to match my 10-day losing streak to start LL82.)

Can't imagine that "Hallelujah Chorus" would not have been accepted. I debated for a moment between "Hallelujah Chorus" or just "Hallelujah" -- not sure of the actual name, although it probably didn't matter -- so answered "Messiah" instead.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

RandyG wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:44 am
Woof wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:01 am
econgator wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:54 am Gotta say, I'm baffled that over half the league doesn't know what a first down signal looks like. Sadly, combined with my horrendous defense this season, that turned my six-pack into a 9(6)-9(5) tie.
In my case, it was an RTFQ: I thought it said that the ref’s arm was perpendicular to the ground, which threw me and cost me the tie.
I RTFQ over and over (and over again) and somehow still came away baffled regarding what the description was trying to describe.
Part of my problem is that the first down signal involves an arm motion and the description didn’t indicate that. The defense penalty is just the ref sticking his arm towards that team’s goal line.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

StevenH wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:12 am
I'm not a football fan and had no idea, but I got it on a lucky guess. I got 3 points for it and a win. It still hurts though that I couldn't think of the Spanish word for "solitude!"
I also had no idea on the referee's signal. I think I put holding. I didn't even consider anything other than a penalty. My opponent gave me zero for that one, so it didn't matter. Unfortunately I put "solituda" instead of "soledad," so I lost anyway against a six-pack.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I guessed illegal man downfield, though I felt that would be a very tough get for transoceanics.

"Friends" was my in to the Bing clue, though I've only ever seen bits of the show. I recognized the girls' names, so I was going with "Geller" until the lack of chess players or spoon benders gave me pause. The "aha" moment came just before submitting.

I just avoided the RTFQ error reported by a number of LLamas on the Wind on the Willows question. I then upped my defense, thinking my opponent might fall into the same trap, but nope.

So I guess "Soledad" isn't an Irish girl's name.
I'm smart and I want respect.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MitchO wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:08 pm
Not a sports person. I was between “down” and field goal- figured field goal was wrong but put it anyway. Ended up with a 6(5)-6(4) tie bc my opponent picked up 3 points for it :/
Field Goal is possibly the most easily recognizable hand gesture ... the ref puts their arms up in the same stucture as the bars that the field goal must pass through. They're basically saying "Hey look, my head is the football and they kicked it between my arms". :D
And I knew that on some level - I guess I spent all my brain power coming up with Bing. Didn’t get the Friends reference, never heard of Baidu, but I figured Google is a search engine, so is Bing, and that’s also a cherry, I think that works for Rainier?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:37 pm
MitchO wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:08 pm
And I knew that on some level - I guess I spent all my brain power coming up with Bing. Didn’t get the Friends reference, never heard of Baidu, but I figured Google is a search engine, so is Bing, and that’s also a cherry, I think that works for Rainier?
My thinking was: what search engine could plausibly be the last name of a Friends character?

Google, Yahoo, Dogpile, AskJeeves = not a chance

Well, Bing it is, I suppose...
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:49 pm
I'm not a football fan and had no idea, but I got it on a lucky guess. I got 3 points for it and a win. It still hurts though that I couldn't think of the Spanish word for "solitude!"
I also had no idea on the referee's signal. I think I put holding. I didn't even consider anything other than a penalty. My opponent gave me zero for that one, so it didn't matter. Unfortunately I put "solituda" instead of "soledad," so I lost anyway against a six-pack.
+1 for "solituda". Surprised it wasn't a MCWA.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Lefty wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:36 pm I guessed illegal man downfield, though I felt that would be a very tough get for transoceanics.
In case it ever does come up, the penalty is ineligible receiver (or member of the kicking team) downfield. They'd probably still give it to you for what you said, but why chance it.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:53 pm
+1 for "solituda". Surprised it wasn't a MCWA.
If it were that root word, it would just be "solitud"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Solitud is what I put. I knew what he wanted but couldn’t drag it out.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:36 pm Solitud is what I put. I knew what he wanted but couldn’t drag it out.
Those of us who grew up in the Golden State had an advantage
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:53 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:36 pm Solitud is what I put. I knew what he wanted but couldn’t drag it out.
Those of us who grew up in the Golden State had an advantage
I thought we all had an advantage... https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6418
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

The written description could have been less ambiguous. I parsed that pointing at the defensive's team goal is a good thing for the offense. IMHO, this sign convention is wrong to me, you ought to be trying to get into your own goal, but maybe Ben Franklin named the end zones (I give this joke about a 25% get rate)
Spoiler
Apocryphally, Ben Franklin assigned the charge of an electron as negative, which means the actual charge carriers flow backward for positive current.
I thought 'perpendicular' to the ground meant the palm/fingers were pointing down. I picked 'down by contact' at first, then realized that sideways was also perpendicular to the flat ground. Hooray for three dimensions!
I always moan when a receiver/ball carrier that's been shut down the whole game and is four touchdowns behind gets up from a tackle on a two yard gain and does the first down gesture.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:30 pm IMHO, this sign convention is wrong to me, you ought to be trying to get into your own goal, but maybe Ben Franklin named the end zones (I give this joke about a 25% get rate)
Spoiler
Apocryphally, Ben Franklin assigned the charge of an electron as negative, which means the actual charge carriers flow backward for positive current.
There's an xkcd for everything!
https://xkcd.com/567/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Another solituda here.

Very surprised on the 46% get rate.

I had first down written but changed it to fumble recovery at the last minute. Because that's the familiar signal that player's on both teams make whenever there is a fumble.
clprez

Post by clprez »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:30 pm I always moan when a receiver/ball carrier that's been shut down the whole game and is four touchdowns behind gets up from a tackle on a two yard gain and does the first down gesture.
I do the same. It's ridiculous. However, visualizing that is what helped me answer this correctly.