Monday, May 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 17, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

Golf wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:19 pm Ryan's comment was consistent with anybody who is a fierce competitor actually trying to win the game unlike so many contestants we see during regular game play. If you have an issue with it, perhaps being on the show isn't for you.
By all means, what the world needs is more violent rhetoric over trivia... :roll:
I just hope Ryan realizes that the days of being the celebrity ice cream scooper may not last...
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

morbeedo wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:35 am
Robert K S wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:22 am
squarekara wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:51 am Buzzy did a phenomenal job. This was a non-professional broadcaster on day one? Go, Buzzy, go!
Ditto. Just a super job. I never once thought about the hosting during the reading, which is a mark of a good host.
+1 - I have a few coaching notes for him but great job!

Jason’s bottoms-up strategy was DOA - let’s see how he does in the semis (banking on him getting through)

I’m sure Ryan’s a good guy but he came off as slightly unhinged last night. Impressive debut nevertheless
Unhinged? WTF?! Seriously do you want everyone to be robots? He’s been waiting two years for this and he played the game of his life against the presumptive tournament favorite, my God how dare he show emotion!?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

But no hand signs, amirite? :P
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Every time I've seen or heard the words "Hen's teeth", they have been preceded by "Scarce". Not once "rare".

I have also never ever heard "rare as the dodo". Have heard "Dead as the Dodo" many times, though...

Looks like a good candidate for a polling question. Maybe it's a regional thing?

p.s. I have lived most of my life in CA, but for 18 years I lived in Oregon where more Midwestern phrases have found their way into the local dialect.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:34 pm Unhinged? WTF?! Seriously do you want everyone to be robots? He’s been waiting two years for this and he played the game of his life against the presumptive tournament favorite, my God how dare he show emotion!?
We could have a game of three Watsons, perfect wagering, no personality, and fault would still be found.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

How to act excited

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

morbeedo wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:02 pm How to act excited

Or just learn from these contestants:

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Movies is a nightmare area for me so I was very surprised that I ran the movie lines category.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:10 pm
Schliemann wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:23 pm I'M GOING FOR THE KILL
Yeah, the kid lost me right there.
I figured Ryan's demeanor would be off-putting to some, but I thoroughly enjoyed his play and his emotion. He acted like he wanted to win the game and he came to play, that's for sure. I can't find anything wrong with that.

I thought that was a good FJ clue (for the ToC). I was scratching my head, but as soon as I saw Draco it seemed obvious in retrospect.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Have had a busy week, so I'm late to the party, having just watched the Monday TOC first match this afternoon.

Count me among the Solons.

I was optimistic but a little apprehensive when I heard about Buzzy -- but I thought his first game as host was excellent. Energetic without being obtrusive, kept the pace up to my liking, and did a very crisp job. I don't know if he's a candidate for the job, but his first outing was impressive and I'm looking forward to seeing how I feel after two weeks.

I see lots of mixed feelings about Ryan being posted. My personal opinion is that he may have pushed the edges a bit, but didn't cross any lines for me. I'm definitely not as demonstrative a person, but I don't typically mind being around them too much. The camera wasn't on Jason and Sarah so I don't know how they reacted, but I think had I been on stage his "going for the kill" comment would have elicited a chuckle from me. There are times to play for fun and there are times to play to win. This is one of the latter. It's a competition -- and I like to compete against competitors.

Great first match, hope the tournament continues to be as entertaining. I'm hopeful I'll be able to watch the second match in a couple of hours.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:40 pm I see lots of mixed feelings about Ryan being posted. My personal opinion is that he may have pushed the edges a bit, but didn't cross any lines for me. I'm definitely not as demonstrative a person, but I don't typically mind being around them too much. The camera wasn't on Jason and Sarah so I don't know how they reacted, but I think had I been on stage his "going for the kill" comment would have elicited a chuckle from me. There are times to play for fun and there are times to play to win. This is one of the latter. It's a competition -- and I like to compete against competitors.
Ryan is the Jeopardy! version of a bat-flipper. If you hit a 500' home run, you get to flip the bat. Ryan crushed one; he gets to flip the bat.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Ryan was a bit over the top for me, but I'm likely a bit too laid back. As for TV ratings, he's pure gold. Play that "go for the kill" as a clip on ads for the ToC, and you'll get viewers. So I'm not going to fault him.

Here's hoping that Jason makes the semi's and gets a shot at redemption. I like him and want to see him again. His score is certainly in the range that gives him a pretty good shot at a wild card seat.

I was quite impressed with Buzzy as host. This first game felt very fast-paced, and he kept right up with it. One might attribute that to the editors, but the scores say that the game moved quickly with lots of right answers.
Spoiler
(And having watched the first three games in a single sitting, I think this really was a fast-paced game.)
I'll reserve final judgement until the two weeks are done, but he's certainly off to a good start.
--Peter
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Haven’t gotten till now to watching this tourney, so here’s my two cents.

Buzzy was pretty decent. Not my favorite (it still goes to Ken), but definitely one of the better guest hosts. I’ll see if he grows on me later.

It was nice to see Brad Rutter give some pep talk to this tourney’s contestants (even if it was through a video call).

Ryan killed it here. Won’t be surprised if he makes it to the finals.
It's the end of the journey that counts.