Thursday, May 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Re: Thursday, May 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by hansenkd »

With Sam a clear favorite against two 4x champions, I think she still has a fair shot, especially if it's a tough FJ.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

Category 13 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:14 am NHO Lewis Hamilton. The only race car drivers with that last name I could think of were Pete Hamilton and Bobby Hamilton. Both too obscure for J!
That's because you're in the wrong country/league. Lewis Hamilton has won six of the last seven Formula One championships, which makes him the first (and possibly only among current drivers) F1 name you need to know for Jeopardy! purposes.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:50 pm I'm impressed by anyone who got that FJ and hasn't lived in the Mid-Atlantic region or at least spent a lot of time there.
I credit Pynchon’s Mason & Dixon with my get.
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:50 pm I'm impressed by anyone who got that FJ and hasn't lived in the Mid-Atlantic region or at least spent a lot of time there.
Well, I'm unipressed with the guy who does live there that didn't come up with it. Years ago I heard this song, and I remember reading a little bit into it at the time, but it didn't help me yesterday.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

With the three 8xers in this tournament, I thought we had a good chance to have a QF round where more games were won by women, which has only happened in one ToC: 1998, with Lyn Payne, Claudia Perry, and Grace Veach. Now that MacKenzie is clinging to the last wild card spot, Veronica is the last hope, but Sam looks like the favorite for today's game.

Incidentally, I may well have won this from MacKenzie's pre-FJ position. My WC strategy* of 11 years (and one week) ago wouldn't have done the trick, but I think I'd be more willing these days to be aggressive with a four-digit pre-FJ score in a wild card situation.

*In my mind, the plan was explicitly "shoot for 12k if under that; if over 13k stay above that." There wasn't an explicit plan for betting from between those scores; maybe just stay above 12k instead. For my tournament I think it ended up being a very good strategy; half the people eliminated in the QFs (individually, as they couldn't have all made it) would have been saved by it: Stephen Weingarten ($16,400 - $16,350), Regina Robbins ($12,600 - $8,000), and Christine Valada ($10,200 - $7,800) (the wild cards ended up being $16,400, $13,575, $11,500, and $4,999).

As implied in my second paragraph, I got this FJ right; once I came up with William Penn as a possible one, Lord Baltimore (as my response referred to him) fell into place as the other. Oddly, for a while I was thinking of Mason-Dixon as Pennsylvania/Delaware, even with the correct response already in my mind. Then I was like, "Wait, doesn't Delaware have that half-circle border with Pennsylvania? But isn't Lord Baltimore the De La Warr guy? Wait, it's Baltimore, Maryland, and Maryland has that straight-line northern border (and a mess everywhere else). Whew." I never did get to Baltimore -> Calvert in my thinking, but I didn't need to.
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri May 21, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I got it right but agonized over whether "Lord Baltimore" would be acceptable as I couldn't remember Calvert's name.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:05 pm As implied in my second paragraph, I got this FJ right; once I came up with William Penn as a possible one, Lord Baltimore (as my response referred to him) fell into place as the other. Oddly, for a while I was thinking of Mason-Dixon as Pennsylvania/Delaware, even with the correct response already in my mind. Then I was like, "Wait, doesn't Delaware have that half-circle border with Pennsylvania? But isn't Lord Baltimore the De La Warr guy? Wait, it's Baltimore, Maryland, and Maryland has that straight-line northern border (and a mess everywhere else). Whew." I never did get to Baltimore -> Calvert in my thinking, but I didn't need to.
For those following along at home, the border that runs north-south between Delaware and Maryland is also part of the Mason-Dixon line. The Twelve Mile Circle is not part of the line, but the line does extend westward along a portion of the Pennsylvania and (now) West Virginia border.

Here is what the stones looked like:
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:26 pm I got it right but agonized over whether "Lord Baltimore" would be acceptable as I couldn't remember Calvert's name.
I went with "Wm Penn & Lord Baltimore," thinking that the crest probably went with the barony more than with the Calvert name, though I did second-guess myself right up until time expired. Nearly changed it to Calvert, but decided the "go with first response" principle applied. I do think either would be acceptable, so the agonizing is much ado about nothing.

Odd that this one saved what was turning into a terrible week. I was 0 for 3 after Wednesday on clues the players went 4 out of 6 on. Figures that the only one I'd get right would be a TS. Not looking forward to Friday's FJ -- at this point, I'm sure the players will all get it, and I'll find a way to mess it up.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Crosswords "C", Battles
DDs: :D :( :D
trash: nobility, Leyte Gulf
FJ: had Baltimore & Calvert. :( Didn't think Penn would have a crest.
Love Field is a blind spot for some reason. :|
Had d'Amato for Moynahan. Couldn't pull curia.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Oh, the Mason Dixon line separates Pennsylvania from Maryland. But neither Pennsylvania nor Maryland was named after anyone, was it?"

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRP
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Newhausen wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:07 am
Category 13 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:14 am NHO Lewis Hamilton. The only race car drivers with that last name I could think of were Pete Hamilton and Bobby Hamilton. Both too obscure for J!
That's because you're in the wrong country/league. Lewis Hamilton has won six of the last seven Formula One championships, which makes him the first (and possibly only among current drivers) F1 name you need to know for Jeopardy! purposes.
Kimi Räikkönen actually appeared in a clue about 6 months ago. Maybe Max Verstappen sometime in the future.
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

I was just there last weekend! :D
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Could not get Same First Name $200. Know a bunch of Olsens and Perkins's.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Yeah...I had no chance on FJ.
It's the end of the journey that counts.