Wednesday, April 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Vanya »

alamble wrote:
MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Someone explain the Francis Ford Coppola DD to me from round 1.
Don't remember the clue verbatim, but the key pieces were "famous director who owns a vineyard." That should lead you directly to Coppola.
Well, it lead me to "famous director who will sell no wine before its time." :)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Vanya wrote:Well, it lead LED me to "famous director who will sell no wine before its time." :)
Past tense fail.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Vanya wrote:Well, it lead LED me to "famous director who will sell no wine before its time." :)
Past tense fail.
I've seen that happen quite a bit all over the web. Not so often in here, though there is one boardie who does it every time.
DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DadofTwins »

Because I complain too much, I'm going to start occasionally mentioning good things too.

Like in this game -- Royal Women for 16 was the best-written clue of the night. Layered, subtle, and once you figured out the fact they were asking for it took some knowledge to get to an answer. Well done.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Bob78164 wrote:
ACW wrote:Think they would've taken infinite for innumerable?
Pretty sure the category had "Inn" in quotation marks, not "in". That threw me because I have never heard "innumerable" before.
What was the clue? The two words are not synonymous. The integers are infinite but denumerable (and therefore not innumerable). The real numbers are innumerable. --Bob[/quote]
The clue was "countless," so I think "innumerable" is fine. I agree with TPH about "inn" in quotation marks ruling out "infinite." This was a good clue, imo.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Past tense fail.
How's that beam in your eye doing?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Past tense fail.
How's that beam in your eye doing?
Hey, if there's one thing I'm not a derp in, it's grammar.
JesseTow
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by JesseTow »

Thanks for the compliments, thoughts, and analysis. Sorry I'm late to the party-- had a hitch getting registered.

DJ was definitely sloppy- I let the "minute to go" cut away at my (at times unwise) buzzing and played to stall for FJ. I didn't want Joey to gain any more, and I wouldn't want to enter FJ in 3rd. Wasn't expecting amateur hour FJ, but those are the breaks.

Either way, Joey and Michael were strong players (Mike STOMPED us on the language-related categories), and I'm sill not living down the Star Wars Q. I over-skimmed the question (just as what happened with the bunt one in rd 1, missing the Biggio giveaway) and saw "surprise attack" and "base"-- even when answering, I thought that it wasn't really Empire. Oh well, it was a tremendously fun experience.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Welcome, Jesse, and sorry about the registration. In my zeal to eliminate spammers from signing up I apparently also removed the ability of legitimate users to register as well. My humble apologies and it has been fixed.

Sorry you didn't win, but it's great that you enjoyed the experience nonetheless. The lights -- just blame it on the lights.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:And how would I know that Carlsberg is a beer and not any other type of alcohol?
Incidentally, in my recent observations, the two most common beer logos in Ireland are Guinness (of course) and Carlsberg.