How Did Buzzy Cohen Do as Host?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rate Buzzy Cohen on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is best

No votes
No votes
No votes
2%
1%
1%
7%
26%
40%
22%

Total votes: 87

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: How Did Buzzy Cohen Do as Host?

Post by mas3cf »

I liked him a lot as host, but had to dock him one point for his horrendous pronunciations of foreign words. In all though, I wouldn't mind at all having him full time.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

mas3cf wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:38 pm I liked him a lot as host, but had to dock him one point for his horrendous pronunciations of foreign words. In all though, I wouldn't mind at all having him full time.
That is at least correctable.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mas3cf wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:38 pm dock him one point for his horrendous pronunciations of foreign words
Or even American words
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

I guess I didn't love Buzzy as much as everyone else. He has a lot of charisma, which is important, of course, but it felt like he stuck too closely to the script for the intros to each game. He's can do spontaneous wit and humor in the interviews, but he never really showed that side of himself in the intros.

He would make a very good permanent host, but my two favorites are still KJ and Anderson Cooper.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Buzzy ruled!

I rank Buzzy in a tie with AR, and both of them just ahead of KJ, with everyone else we’ve seen way behind. My sole reservation on Buzzy is that the ToC is not regular gameplay, and it would be nice to see him in a regular setting before making a decision (I suspect he was being less spontaneous than he might otherwise have been during gameplay due to the gravitas of the ToC). But he showed the right amount of zest and panache, which along with his quirky-but-not-offputting look, would serve the show well IMHO.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I've got Buzzy at the top of my list, head and shoulders ahead of everyone else and earning my first 10. He came out of the gate strong, easily keeping up with the Champions' speed on his first day, and never let up. I only noticed hesitations a couple of times in ruling responses right or wrong. Of course, there could be more on the edit room floor - we'll never really know.

I also like the bit of personal style - different without being too far out there. As has already been mentioned, he could easily provide a memorable look for the show.

Of course, after Bill Whitaker, almost anyone is going to look energetic. So there might be a bit of bias there. But he wasn't lacking in energy. He also seemed a bit more genuine in the intro, interview, and closing than most of the other guest hosts. I particularly liked that he didn't end every show with longish comments on the privilege of guest hosting. He did finally acknowledge that after his last show. I might have preferred he did that on an earlier show so that the attention would not be taken away from the Tournament winner. But that's a nit to pick.

All in all, I'd be thrilled to see him at the podium next fall. The producers could easily do far worse.
--Peter
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Excellent voice. Not so good at the patter. I don't like the cartoon avatar-like look, but I think that matters more to the younger audience. First in some categories, though I haven't watched about half of the guests so far. Comparing him to Aaron Rodgers, who was the last one I watched - Rodgers did a lot of things very well, but monotone was an issue and I'm not sure he can overcome it. Cohen doesn't have that problem.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Ken - who I thought was an excellent host - has been the benchmark against whom I measured every other guest host. Some (Oz, Whittaker) performed poorly, some were forgettable, one or two came close-ish (Rodgers, maybe Cooper). I was particularly disappointed by the poor performance of the guest hosts who were not white males.

But Buzzy outshone them all. Confident, smooth, knowledgeable, appropriate sense of humour, kept the game moving, added helpful information without sounding like a know-it-all, supportive of the contestants, and clearly steeped in Jeopardy! lore and customs. I want him as the permanent host tomorrow. I wouldn't be disappointed if Ken got the job, but Buzzy is the best pick by far in this household.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm just not vibing with him at all. I find his voice extremely shrill and grating, and his mannerisms robotic at best. Are we even watching the same show?
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

I'm with Bobby on this. I have some respect for Buzzy, but I'm just not feeling him.
Just a person who loves game shows.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:03 am
Of course, there could be more on the edit room floor - we'll never really know.
Well, in Week 1, we knew all boards would be cleared, so some editing could have happened there.

But in Week 2, all 10 boards were cleared, which indicates (to me at least) that the need for editing would be minimal.

But Buzzy had an edge working with TOC players.
OCSam
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:25 am Buzzy outshone them all. Confident, smooth, knowledgeable, appropriate sense of humour, kept the game moving, added helpful information without sounding like a know-it-all, supportive of the contestants, and clearly steeped in Jeopardy! lore and customs. I want him as the permanent host tomorrow. I wouldn't be disappointed if Ken got the job, but Buzzy is the best pick by far in this household.
100% agree about Buzzy. Second choice for me is now Ken, and I think my main reason for both of these choices is their intimate connection with the game. Although some of the guest hosts have been on Celebrity Jeopardy, it's not the same, and it shows, at least to me, and it makes all the difference.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I gave him an 8. A little too enthusiastic for my taste but overall I thought he did a fine job. Hosting a TOC probably made him look better but I think having a top tier player was a good idea.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Bumping this thread in case anyone wants to revisit commentary from the ToC first run.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

The only reason I don't give Buzzy a 10 is that the 10 was retired after we lost Alex.