How Did Buzzy Cohen Do as Host?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rate Buzzy Cohen on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is best

No votes
No votes
No votes
2%
1%
1%
7%
26%
40%
22%

Total votes: 87

alietr
Site Admin

How Did Buzzy Cohen Do as Host?

Post by alietr »

How do you think Buzzy Cohen did as host?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: How Did Buzzy Cohen Do as Host?

Post by Woof »

Somewhat to my surprise, he’s been my favorite so far. His screen presence and energy work well, I feel.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

By far, the best one yet.

1. Buzzy
2. Katie
3. Anderson
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

I don't know if it's because we had monotone BW as the last guest host or that Buzzy did the TOC, but Buzzy has been my favorite. Since his first game. I wonder how he would've fared during a two week regular season J! hosting gig - I still think very well.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'd put him and Ken 1 and 1a. I guess for ranking purposes, I had Ken at a 9, so Buzzy gets an 8.99.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Buzzy can do everything Ken can do, plus he has the voice for hosting, which Ken doesn't have. The best so far.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

DBear wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:07 am Buzzy can do everything Ken can do, plus he has the voice for hosting, which Ken doesn't have. The best so far.
Co-sign. I think that Buzzy has a “look” that would help make him a cultural icon in time.

Ken a close second for the exact reason of his voice.

I’d actually put producer guy 3rd.

Let’s see what the rest have to offer.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

A 9 from me and if Buzzy got the job I would think & hope we would not hear about him and his ToC until the next ToC. Otherwise, take Buzzy down a point.

It's hard to argue against the sense that Buzzy has pipes superior to Ken. It's easy to imagine Buzzy getting the permanent gig and doing well making the rounds on talk shows to promote the new season. Buzzy's distinctive name and glasses are assets and he wouldn't be so polarizing as some other options could be to turn away viewers.

What Buzzy does not have is A list status and Sony execs may think they have to have a name star. If it was only Mike Richards and show staff making the call I would trust them more to make the best call.

We still have 8 more guest hosts to see and all of them have more name recognition than Buzzy of J! fame although I get it that for some J! viewers Buzzy is more well known than some on the upcoming roster.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

DBear wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:07 am Buzzy can do everything Ken can do, plus he has the voice for hosting, which Ken doesn't have. The best so far.
Ken edges Buzzy on wit by a considerable margin, while Buzzy has what I would call a slight edge voicewise (it's still not a broadcaster's timbre). But those deficiencies only keep Buzzy from a 10. He certainly has the presentation, credibility, energy, and presence. And something else, too, a je ne sais quoi, an iconoclastic, or at least trademark, owlish look that, when combined with his nickname, would of immeasurable branding value to the show. Unlike several of the other guest hosts, I would be quite content with Buzzy getting the contract.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:32 am Buzzy's distinctive name and glasses are assets
LOL, GMTA
davey

Post by davey »

danspartan wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:13 am
...I think that Buzzy has a “look” that would help make him a cultural icon in time....

This. I think it would be fun to watch him get older on TV. (Unless, like Dorian Gray or Anderson Cooper, he doesn't...) Ken has earned it more, and I have no problem with K's voice, but Buzzy might be more a more entertaining figure as he settles into the role...
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:36 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:32 am Buzzy's distinctive name and glasses are assets
LOL, GMTA
He's the Robert Q. Lewis of our time! (Or Waldo...)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Buzzy possesses an enthusiastic, camera-ready persona, loads of "quizmaster" cred, and a name that seems pre-destined for any game show pantheon. He handled the emcee aspect of the job extremely well, and also delivered a spirit of hospitality that other hosts seemed to lack. That contributed to a warm, collegial vibe on stage. "Enjoy it," he advised the finalists before introducing Friday's boards. That's the perfect attitude towards the game. Some of the pros we saw ranged between too flaccid and too strident, and some were downright awkward. Buzzy was ideal.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

He’s the best of who we’ve see so far. I don’t remember everyone coming up but none made me anticipate their games. For me it’s BC, MR, and the rest.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I rate Buzzy and Ken about equal and ahead of everyone else. Each has different strengths. I think Ken has more gravitas and wit and a better interviewer. Buzzy has more energy and youth appeal. I’m not sure Buzzy has a better voice than Ken though. I think I’d pick Ken over Buzzy, but I can see why people would do the reverse.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Leander wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:23 pm I rate Buzzy and Ken about equal and ahead of everyone else. Each has different strengths. I think Ken has more gravitas and wit and a better interviewer. Buzzy has more energy and youth appeal. I’m not sure Buzzy has a better voice than Ken though. I think I’d pick Ken over Buzzy, but I can see why people would do the reverse.
Well put and I can agree with each sentence. Thanks for saving me from composing my own reply from scratch!
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Give him the job, that’s what I think! Though the suits probably have other ideas...
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

Better than Alex.

I said it. I didn't want to say it, but I'm not going to allow sentiment to make me a liar.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Buzzy has vaulted into the lead as far as I'm concerned.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This.

As much as I like watching Ken play the game, he just...isn't a game show host to me. My top three are easily Buzzy, Anderson, Rodgers (in that order).