Friday, June 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, June 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

Tinnitus was pronounced incorrectly. It's TIN-ə-təs.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:59 pm Tinnitus was pronounced incorrectly. It's TIN-ə-təs.
The British and healthcare professional pronunciation tends to sound like “TIN-ni-tus.” Listen.
While the American and layperson pronunciation often sounds like “ti-night-tus” or “tin-NYE-tus.” Hear it here.
So which one is right?
Neither, either. Even the American Tinnitus Association (ATA) can’t decide. “Both pronunciations are correct,” they say. But, for the record, they use “ti-NIGHT-us.”

https://lipoflavonoid.com/tinnitus-trea ... -tinnitus/
Merriam-Webster is among the dictionaries that list both.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I certainly know what you are talking about if you pronounce it with the ending as if it were spelled itis instead of itus, but I would never pronounce it that way myself.

That has been my policy since I was corrected on the pronunciation by an audiologist who frankly reminded me very much of Mayim Bialik. She had an ugly face and that same smarmy "I'm smarter than you" attitude that will basically assure that neither of them will ever be permanent host of Jeopardy! And if you want to counter argue by mentioning Alex, you are wrong. He had a self-deprecating charm that Mayim absolutely lacks. Thus, although he was certainly smarter than most of the audience, he did not put it in their face the way Mayim does.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:47 am I certainly know what you are talking about if you pronounce it with the ending as if it were spelled itis instead of itus, but I would never pronounce it that way myself.
How do you pronounce "detritus"?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Də-TREE-dəs
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

And the Epistle to Titus? I'm trying to get a count of how many things you'll defiantly mispronounce in order to keep your broad stroke intact.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

davey wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:34 pm
floridagator wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:59 pm Tinnitus was pronounced incorrectly. It's TIN-ə-təs.
The British and healthcare professional pronunciation tends to sound like “TIN-ni-tus.” Listen.
While the American and layperson pronunciation often sounds like “ti-night-tus” or “tin-NYE-tus.” Hear it here.
So which one is right?
Neither, either. Even the American Tinnitus Association (ATA) can’t decide. “Both pronunciations are correct,” they say. But, for the record, they use “ti-NIGHT-us.”

https://lipoflavonoid.com/tinnitus-trea ... -tinnitus/
Merriam-Webster is among the dictionaries that list both.
The majority of health care professionals I worked with over the years pronounced it with the emphasis on the first syllable and a schwa, though I've heard both. I was taught and have always used the TIN-ə-təs pronunciation. The rationale was that the "-itis" suffix means inflammation or infection, as in appendicitis or tonsillitis, while tinnitus is a symptom. It can be caused by otitis, but is not itself necessarily an infection or inflammation.

There are a lot of medical terms with alternate pronunciations. About 10% of the nurses I worked with pronounced "centimeter" with the French pronunciation -- "SONT-ə-meter." That always startled me.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:08 pm There are a lot of medical terms with alternate pronunciations. About 10% of the nurses I worked with pronounced "centimeter" with the French pronunciation -- "SONT-ə-meter." That always startled me.
Yeah, I hear that sometimes. Then, of course, you've got the "may-zhur" vs. "meh-zure" divide for measure.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed Cloud City(Could picture it, couldn't come up with the name.) and Nipsey Rascal.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:16 pm 57 R (Missed...Nipsey Rascal.)
Nipsey Hussle...not to be confused with Nipsey Russell.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

davey wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:42 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:16 pm 57 R (Missed...Nipsey Rascal.)
Nipsey Hussle...not to be confused with Nipsey Russell.
I had Dizzy Rascal in mind. Too easy to mess up the name.
Douglas Squasoni