Monday, June 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Re: Monday, June 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Rackme32 »

Total whiff on FJ!. "Streetcar" was the very first thing I thought of as the music started, but I couldn't remember at all who was in it. I've even seen it and enjoyed it... but pulling celebrity names out of the air is one of my biggest weaknesses.

But then, I got Anne Robinson easily. Hit and miss, I guess...
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:13 pm I knew that the whole "10,000 steps a day" thing stems from the fact the character for 10,000 in Japanese (万) supposedly resembles a man walking.
I knew the number 10,000 was a big deal in the Far East, but "manpo-kei" doesn't sound a whole lot like "banzai".
I'm smart and I want respect.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

44R. 2/4 on big clues. Missed zionism and 10,000 steps. Might have gotten zionism if I had been able to read the text of the clue. Didn't correctly parse the clue for 10,000 steps. I thought they were asking for another name for a pedometer. Wasn't sure about FJ but I knew Elizabeth Taylor was in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Vivien Leigh was in A Streetcar Named Desire. Picked the right one.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Owen Glendower, Ogodei Khan (son of Genghis Khan), Jodie Whittaker/Doctor Who, Przewalski's Horse, and fer-de-lance.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Coincidences with today's date in the show: Mayim mentioned Violent Femmes at the end of Julia's interview, and lead singer Gordon Gano was born June 7, 1963; the last FJ response was Jessica Tandy, who was born June 7, 1909. (Honorable mention goes to Verlinda talking about D-Day in her interview, since it's as close to the anniversary as a weekday can be this year, and it might not have been mere coincidence.)

edit: a more personal coincidence is the clue seeking Owen as a popular baby name; my sister-in-law was admitted to the hospital today to have a baby which she and my brother will name Owen. (He's not born yet, though!)

FJ was a birthday present to me, as Vivien Leigh's name was the only one that made sense to me, even though Gone with the Wind was the only film of hers I could think of during the music.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:30 am Coincidences. . .
FJ was a birthday present to me, as Vivien Leigh's name was the only one that made sense to me, even though Gone with the Wind was the only film of hers I could think of during the music.
Was it your b-day? Happy Birthday! 🎂

I've been trying to cull LP's from my collection to give to Goodwill, and "Vivien Leigh reads The Tale of Peter Rabbit and Other Favorites" was in the pile to be donated. After the FJ, I had second thoughts and put it back. If the archive wants it, they can get in touch.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Impressive performance and solve by Verlinda.

I was up a creek for FJ; too many possibilities to run through and I didn't have confidence in any.

A puzzling wager from third, although Verlinda's wager was also odd.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

squarekara wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:21 am
How do you think I was so thoroughly equipped to pick up on allusions to (other) people with June 7 birthdays on the June 7 show? Thank you!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:37 am
squarekara wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:21 am
How do you think I was so thoroughly equipped to pick up on allusions to (other) people with June 7 birthdays on the June 7 show? Thank you!
Well, I often check in with one of those "On this day in history" apps, myself. Today, best wishes go out to all those who share their day with Frank Lloyd Wright, Jerry Stiller, and Kanye West. 🎉
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Nathan Hale a TS? Oy!! Owen was understandable if Owen Glendower wasn’t familiar to them. FJ was a clean whiff: knew exactly what they were clueing but didn’t recall who Olivier had married.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

I got as far as "who played Blanche" and got stuck.

At least someone else was surprised that Anne Robinson was a TS. One would assume people on Jeopardy! have some familiarity with quiz shows.

I used to walk past that Nathan Hale plaque on a regular basis when I was a college kid trying to stretch my budget by walking to the Q60 bus stop (the off-peak bus fare used to be a little cheaper).
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Woof wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:48 pm Nathan Hale a TS? Oy!! Owen was understandable if Owen Glendower wasn’t familiar to them. FJ was a clean whiff: knew exactly what they were clueing but didn’t recall who Olivier had married.
I was bothered by my inability to remember if his first name was Nathan or Nathaniel (of course that doesn't matter for J! purposes).
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Woof wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:48 pm Nathan Hale a TS? Oy!!
Some people on this board may have a June 7 birthday, but my birthday is September 22, and, well, the list of historical events that took place on September 22 is pretty short.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I liked that the writers fit fer-de-lance and fleur-de-lis in the same round.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Some Good News $800 and U.K. TV $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni