Proposed Megatournament Structure

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Proposed Megatournament Structure

Post by Mathew5000 »

Like many boardies, I often lie awake pondering the ideal format of the next Ultimate Tournament of Champions. Tonight after I drifted off, the perfect megatournament structure came to me in a dream. I will type it up now, before I forget, as a gift to the producers of Jeopardy!.

72-player Jeopardy! tournament format

Octo-final round. 30 episodes. 72 contestants reduced to 30.
Players are randomly divided into 6 heats of 12 players. Each heat consists of 5 episodes. In Games 1 to 4, each player plays once (and is sequestered before playing); the winner of each game advances to the quarter-finals. The 8 non-winners are ranked by their score immediately before Final Jeopardy ("pre-FJ score"). The 3 highest in that ranking compete in Game 5 of the heat, with the winner advancing to the quarter-finals. Thus exactly 5 players per heat advance, each having won a game.

Quarter-final round. 10 episodes. 30 contestants reduced to 12.
Players are randomly divided into 2 heats of 15 players. Each heat consists of 5 episodes. Each player plays once (and is sequestered before playing); the winner of each game advances to the semi-finals. From among the 10 non-winners, the player with the highest pre-FJ score advances to the semi-finals. Thus exactly 6 players per heat advance.

Semi-final round. 10 episodes. 12 contestants reduced to 3.
This round transpires in 3 "sets". During each set players are sequestered when not playing, but between sets players are told the results of the previous set.

In Set A (4 episodes) each player plays once. The players are then ranked P1 to P12 according to, first whether or not they won their Set A game, and second their pre-FJ score in the Set A game.

In Set B (4 episodes) each player plays once, with these matchings as determined by the ranking after Set A:

Set B Game 1: P6 P7 P9
Set B Game 2: P5 P8 P10
Set B Game 3: P2 P3 P11
Set B Game 4: P1 P4 P12

After Set B, at most 2 players are undefeated in the semi-final round (because in Set B, each Set-A winner faced another Set-A winner). Any player who is undefeated after Set B is declared a finalist. The remaining players are ranked according to, first whether or not they have won a game so far in the semi-finals, and second the sum of their pre-FJ scores in Set A and Set B. The top 6 players in this ranking (P1 to P6) compete in Set C, while players ranked seventh or worse are eliminated.

In Set C (2 episodes), each of the 6 contenders plays once, with these matchings as determined by the ranking immediately before Set C:

Set C Game 1: P2 P3 P5
Set C Game 2: P1 P4 P6

After Set C, the 6 contenders are ranked according to, first the number of games won in the semi-finals, and second the sum of their 3 pre-FJ scores during the semi-finals. This ranking determines the remaining finalist(s): the highest-ranking 1, 2, or 3 players are now declared finalists in addition to the 2, 1, or 0 players (respectively) who were declared finalists after Set B. The 3 highest-ranking players who do not advance to the final round receive the prizes for 4th place, 5th place, and 6th place overall in the Tournament.

Final round. 3 episodes. 3 contestants.
The final round is a 3-game total point affair, but Game 1 and Game 3 are modified as follows: in Game 1, the Double Jeopardy round is replaced by a Jeopardy round; in Game 3, the Jeopardy round is replaced by a Double Jeopardy round. In other words the game format is:

Game 1: J, J, FJ
Game 2: J, DJ, FJ
Game 3: DJ, DJ, FJ

After Game 3 of the finals, the players are ranked according to the sum of their final scores in each of the 3 games. This ranking determines 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place overall in the Tournament.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Proposed Megatournament Structure

Post by triviawayne »

Maybe in another 10 or 15 years, with no players from the Trebek era, sure; otherwise, I'll pass at seeing yet another convoluted setup to see the nearly same result we've seen several times.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Golf

Post by Golf »

I often lie awake at night wondering how long Jeopardy will continue to ignore me as a contestant. Am quite sure many others do the same. This proposed tournament consists of 53 games, that means 106 new contestants will never get their chance.

Proposed contestants for this have at the very least had their regular season run as well as a ToC. They’ve had their chances, please keep them off the stage for at least a third time.

Sincerely,

All aspiring contestants
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

A super tournament of champions after every 5 normal tournament of champions would be fun to watch. All the 15 finalists in the previous ToCs would compete in a standard format 2-week tournament.

They could find some alternates if some contestants aren’t available or ineligible. It would work better if they had a standard ToC every year.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Mathew5000 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:28 am Like many boardies, I often lie awake pondering the ideal format of the next Ultimate Tournament of Champions.
Many? "Some", sure. A few, yeah. A couple, most likely.

Also, why would pre-FJ scores count for anything? That's silly.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Mathew5000 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:28 am Like many boardies, I often lie awake pondering the ideal format of the next Ultimate Tournament of Champions. Tonight after I drifted off, the perfect megatournament structure came to me in a dream. I will type it up now, before I forget, as a gift to the producers of Jeopardy!.

72-player Jeopardy! tournament format

Octo-final round. 30 episodes. 72 contestants reduced to 30.
Players are randomly divided into 6 heats of 12 players. Each heat consists of 5 episodes. In Games 1 to 4, each player plays once (and is sequestered before playing); the winner of each game advances to the quarter-finals. The 8 non-winners are ranked by their score immediately before Final Jeopardy ("pre-FJ score"). The 3 highest in that ranking compete in Game 5 of the heat, with the winner advancing to the quarter-finals. Thus exactly 5 players per heat advance, each having won a game.

Quarter-final round. 10 episodes. 30 contestants reduced to 12.
Players are randomly divided into 2 heats of 15 players. Each heat consists of 5 episodes. Each player plays once (and is sequestered before playing); the winner of each game advances to the semi-finals. From among the 10 non-winners, the player with the highest pre-FJ score advances to the semi-finals. Thus exactly 6 players per heat advance.

Semi-final round. 10 episodes. 12 contestants reduced to 3.
This round transpires in 3 "sets". During each set players are sequestered when not playing, but between sets players are told the results of the previous set.

In Set A (4 episodes) each player plays once. The players are then ranked P1 to P12 according to, first whether or not they won their Set A game, and second their pre-FJ score in the Set A game.

In Set B (4 episodes) each player plays once, with these matchings as determined by the ranking after Set A:

Set B Game 1: P6 P7 P9
Set B Game 2: P5 P8 P10
Set B Game 3: P2 P3 P11
Set B Game 4: P1 P4 P12

After Set B, at most 2 players are undefeated in the semi-final round (because in Set B, each Set-A winner faced another Set-A winner). Any player who is undefeated after Set B is declared a finalist. The remaining players are ranked according to, first whether or not they have won a game so far in the semi-finals, and second the sum of their pre-FJ scores in Set A and Set B. The top 6 players in this ranking (P1 to P6) compete in Set C, while players ranked seventh or worse are eliminated.

In Set C (2 episodes), each of the 6 contenders plays once, with these matchings as determined by the ranking immediately before Set C:

Set C Game 1: P2 P3 P5
Set C Game 2: P1 P4 P6

After Set C, the 6 contenders are ranked according to, first the number of games won in the semi-finals, and second the sum of their 3 pre-FJ scores during the semi-finals. This ranking determines the remaining finalist(s): the highest-ranking 1, 2, or 3 players are now declared finalists in addition to the 2, 1, or 0 players (respectively) who were declared finalists after Set B. The 3 highest-ranking players who do not advance to the final round receive the prizes for 4th place, 5th place, and 6th place overall in the Tournament.

Final round. 3 episodes. 3 contestants.
The final round is a 3-game total point affair, but Game 1 and Game 3 are modified as follows: in Game 1, the Double Jeopardy round is replaced by a Jeopardy round; in Game 3, the Jeopardy round is replaced by a Double Jeopardy round. In other words the game format is:

Game 1: J, J, FJ
Game 2: J, DJ, FJ
Game 3: DJ, DJ, FJ

After Game 3 of the finals, the players are ranked according to the sum of their final scores in each of the 3 games. This ranking determines 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place overall in the Tournament.
How about a giga-tournament? The top 2,187 money winners of everyone who has ever won a game of Jeopardy! and is still alive, 7 rounds, single-elimination. Should be doable over the course of about 4-5 seasons.
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

Years ago at one point, I thought about an 81 player tournament with 27 preliminary matches, 9 quarter-final matches, 3 semi-final matches that have a two game total point affair, and a three game total point affair for the finals. Now that I think about it, I think a 45 player tournament like the Battle Of The Decades from season 30 would be more reasonable, but I doubt it will happen until season 50, I think.
Just a person who loves game shows.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I would love to see something like a Pro-Am happen
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:53 pm I would love to see something like a Pro-Am happen
They kinda already have that. It's called "The Chase".
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

How about a giga-tournament? The top 2,187 money winners of everyone who has ever won a game of Jeopardy! and is still alive, 7 rounds, single-elimination. Should be doable over the course of about 4-5 seasons.
Ok, I giggled on that.

That said, we don't need more mega tournaments. Am I opposed to an ABC special primetime tournament again? No. I admit I'd love put to put the members of The Chase from the international versions in a tournament (6 from UK, 4 from Australia, 3 from Germany, and 2 from Israel) and do that on primetime, but that's about as likely as this silly thing. To me, that would be fun to watch.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013