Tuesday, June 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

earendel wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:02 pm
yclept wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:03 am
DBear wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:49 pm
Leander wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:04 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:30 pm

Judges: son for lad? :?:

I think the category was the actual answers to the first crossword puzzle, so I don’t think alternatives would be acceptable.
So this is a "Guess the random word we're thinking of" category? Very bad form if so. :x
Yeah, I was surprised they didn’t at least give the first letter on that clue. Who is going to know exactly what the first ever crossword puzzle looked like? Every clue should have included additional info that could only lead to one plausible answer.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with this statement, but "lad" seems more appropriate for a century-old crossword puzzle. After all, how often do you hear a young boy referred to as a "lad"?
Literally, a son is not always a boy. A lad is always a boy. Fits the clue exactly.

I was pretty sure "lunch breaks" were mandated by governments by the 1940s. (I may have been a bit naive, since some states still don't require them... :roll:) "Lunch hours," probably not, but the phrase extends the time, not the concept. So while I thought of the latter first, I quickly moved on to "coffee break." I could believe that was a novel phrase and concept that Time might comment on. If the clue had specified England, sure, "tea time" would be a good guess...
davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:04 am
Johnblue wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:27 pm Yeah I’ve never heard of story telling coach either.
Nor I, but I guess that's why some people get rich and some don't.
I get the sense it's sort of a motivational speaker for individuals, especially in business. Not so much to get a better slot on The Moth.
https://www.thechiefstoryteller.com/coa ... ing-coach/
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:37 pm Strangely my wife and I both thought of the contract negotiation angle and both said "cooling off." I didn't like it at all, but that I was all I could think of.
I have no idea what that has to do with food and drink.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

mahatma wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:43 am
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:27 am The correction of "metal" to "heavy metal" was bizarre. The latter term is rarely used anymore.
How to start a fight in a room full of music nerds:
'Metal and Heavy Metal [or Rock/Rock and Roll; Country/Country & Western; Punk/Punk Rock; Alternative/Alternative Rock/Alt Rock...] are different names for the same thing!'
No, the real way to start that fight among music nerds is to insist that the term classical refers only to the classical period.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:29 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:37 pm Strangely my wife and I both thought of the contract negotiation angle and both said "cooling off." I didn't like it at all, but that I was all I could think of.
This just in: floridagator burns his mouth on food and drinks a lot
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:32 am
floridagator wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:29 am
This just in: floridagator burns his mouth on food and drinks a lot
Only sheep wait for their food to cool. :D
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Another for lunch hour. Thought “hour” was the key to unlocking it. Not sure how you would favor coffee break (which I didn’t consider). Alas.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Picked Off wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:18 pm Another for lunch hour. Thought “hour” was the key to unlocking it. Not sure how you would favor coffee break (which I didn’t consider). Alas.
I guess getting a lunch break was already on the books prior to WWII.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:26 am 60 R
Trying this with as little snark as possible...what is the purpose of bumping two-week old threads just to let us know that you know everything? You think we haven't figured that out by now?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:28 am
Trying this with as little snark as possible...what is the purpose of bumping two-week old threads just to let us know that you know everything? You think we haven't figured that out by now?
I have to agree on this point.
Golf

Post by Golf »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:28 am Trying this with as little snark as possible...what is the purpose of bumping two-week old threads just to let us know that you know everything? You think we haven't figured that out by now?
Not everybody watches the show day of, many here for varying reasons let them pile up on the DVR and watch when it's feasible. This has been consistent with LSV for quite some time now. It should be no surprise that he posted later than most in the daily thread.

So he's just doing what many others do on here, the only difference is that he does it better. And that fact tends to piss people off, which I've always found hilarious. If you look back through his posting in the daily thread, he started with getting maybe half the clues correct. But he worked at it and got better, which is admirable. He's not posting because he got them all right, he's posting because that's what he does in every single daily thread. He's a person of strict routine, as he's mentioned in a couple of his posts about himself.

So basically, if someone had bumped a two week old thread to post they got 39 correct, you wouldn't have said a word. It's the fact he's infinitely better than you that got under your skin.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Golf wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:35 am
jeff6286 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:28 am Trying this with as little snark as possible...what is the purpose of bumping two-week old threads just to let us know that you know everything? You think we haven't figured that out by now?
Not everybody watches the show day of, many here for varying reasons let them pile up on the DVR and watch when it's feasible. This has been consistent with LSV for quite some time now. It should be no surprise that he posted later than most in the daily thread.

So he's just doing what many others do on here, the only difference is that he does it better. And that fact tends to piss people off, which I've always found hilarious. If you look back through his posting in the daily thread, he started with getting maybe half the clues correct. But he worked at it and got better, which is admirable. He's not posting because he got them all right, he's posting because that's what he does in every single daily thread. He's a person of strict routine, as he's mentioned in a couple of his posts about himself.

So basically, if someone had bumped a two week old thread to post they got 39 correct, you wouldn't have said a word. It's the fact he's infinitely better than you that got under your skin.
You got me.