Capital One College Bowl

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Capital One College Bowl

Post by yclept »

Suggestion if they do this in the future:
The 2-minute drill needs a revamp. Letting teams continuously pick the same category doesn’t let us know just how broad their knowledge base is. You can essentially put a ringer on your team that is a history fanatic and win based on that alone. Either change the categories or have a “you can only choose a specific category one time in the entire tournament” rule.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

yclept wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:47 pm Suggestion if they do this in the future:
The 2-minute drill needs a revamp. Letting teams continuously pick the same category doesn’t let us know just how broad their knowledge base is. You can essentially put a ringer on your team that is a history fanatic and win based on that alone. Either change the categories or have a “you can only choose a specific category one time in the entire tournament” rule.
The opposing team should pick your categories.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

econgator wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:31 pm
yclept wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:47 pm Suggestion if they do this in the future:
The opposing team should pick your categories.
Maybe this is how it will be in the finals. Either that, or after the Dropout Round, the opposing team chooses who sits out.
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Love how the guide info for the Final mentions which two teams are playing. Not that I care about being spoiled, but still.
mikeday

Post by mikeday »

I played College Bowl from 1980-1987 (NAQT hadn't been formed yet). In fact, in 1983-84, the University of Chicago College Bowl team featured me, Richard Cordray, and Jonathan Fellows (two five-time winners and one four-timer).

This iteration of College Bowl is just sad. A lot of the questions aren't even hard enough for high school quiz shows (and I've hosted and written questions for those). I don't know why they dumbed the show down so much. If J! and WWTBAM can draw good ratings as specials, a well-produced college quiz game could, too. And I don't know how they selected the participants for this show, but I can assure you they didn't pick the three best players from each school.

Don Reid (the creator of College Bowl) is probably turning in his grave.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mikeday wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:17 pm And I don't know how they selected the participants for this show, but I can assure you they didn't pick the three best players from each school.
For the last year I've been in what is normally a student-only choral group at my college (the larger group allows for alumni and community members but I've been brought in to the other group as well, as sort of a ringer), and via my classmates I was privy to the fact that this production basically sent open casting calls to colleges for any willing students to audition.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

mikeday wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:17 pm This iteration of College Bowl is just sad.
Don Reid (the creator of College Bowl) is probably turning in his grave.
I gathered our family and served dinner in front of the TV to watch this show debut. When we eventually realized it was one long, unfunny joke, we went back to these:

LucarioSnooperVixey

Complete opposite of last week.

Extra Credit category chosen first in 2 out of 3 rounds. Last week, Extra Credit category unclaimed 2 out of 3 rounds.
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

None of the Extra Credit categories were chosen in the final.

The chances of that happening are 1 out of 125.
Douglas Squasoni
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

You think those Columbia kids would have been happier about winning 125 Grand, geez

I just hope if this comes Back that Cooper either is gone or has less air time. Let Peyton Make more Jokes.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:54 am You think those Columbia kids would have been happier about winning 125 Grand, geez

I just hope if this comes Back that Cooper either is gone or has less air time. Let Peyton Make more Jokes.
Cooper stating the Gremlins rules for the Asimov robot rules made me laugh.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

They Showed a commercial for the New Season Tonight During Americas Got Talent and im sorry to report that they brought Cooper back. :evil:

Schools Shown Were:
-UC Santa Barbara
-Morehouse
-Penn State
-Georgia
-Spellman
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:53 pm They Showed a commercial for the New Season Tonight During Americas Got Talent and im sorry to report that they brought Cooper back. :evil:

Schools Shown Were:
-UC Santa Barbara
-Morehouse
-Penn State
-Georgia
-Spellman
You stuck with AGT even after the Paremesan guy sang? :lol:

Other schools on the wall I saw were:
Washington
Texas
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
UF
Columbia
There was one with an A for the first word and State for the second word. The A word looked like 5 or 6 letters. Perhaps Alcorn? It did not quite look like Albany or Allen.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:28 am
AntmanB wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:53 pm They Showed a commercial for the New Season Tonight During Americas Got Talent and im sorry to report that they brought Cooper back. :evil:

Schools Shown Were:
-UC Santa Barbara
-Morehouse
-Penn State
-Georgia
-Spellman
You stuck with AGT even after the Paremesan guy sang? :lol:

Other schools on the wall I saw were:
Washington
Texas
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
UF
Columbia
There was one with an A for the first word and State for the second word. The A word looked like 5 or 6 letters. Perhaps Alcorn? It did not quite look like Albany or Allen.
i actually Loved the Parmesan Guy but ill be pissed if he wins. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

also the commercial shows that it was filmed with a Live Audience.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:28 am Texas
Oklahoma
AntmanB wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:53 pm -UC Santa Barbara
Woot! Family cheering night. I went to UCSB, parents to OU, one kid to UT. If we could get Emory in there, it would be a family reunion.

However, Coop is enough to keep me away.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Another Promo Aired during AGT(Right after Mr Pants, lol)

Shown Were

- UC Santa Barbara
- Morehouse
- Columbia
- Georgia
- Florida
- Washington
- Ohio State
- BYU
- Spellman
- Penn State

Also Prized has been upped to $1 MIllion.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Friday the 9th has two eps. from 8:00-10:00.

8:00 - Ohio St. vs Notre Dame & Texas vs. Oklahoma
9:00 - Florida vs. Georgia & Washington vs. BYU

The 16th is one ep.
8:00 - Penn St. vs. Syracuse & Albany St. vs. Spelman

Touch viewing choices going up against SmackDown, Secret Celebrity Renovation, Shark Tank reruns and Killer Camp. :)
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:37 pm Friday the 9th has two eps. from 8:00-10:00.

8:00 - Ohio St. vs Notre Dame & Texas vs. Oklahoma
9:00 - Florida vs. Georgia & Washington vs. BYU

The 16th is one ep.
8:00 - Penn St. vs. Syracuse & Albany St. vs. Spelman

Touch viewing choices going up against SmackDown, Secret Celebrity Renovation, Shark Tank reruns and Killer Camp. :)

Ill be at HS Football games......ill be watching on Sundays.... also good cause Cooper dosent Deserve my ratings anyway
LucarioSnooperVixey

This season is definitely more interesting and fun than the previous season.

Live audience for this season.

In the first round. A new category shows up after the players choose a category like in Win Ben Stein's Money. It appears they have gotten rid of "Extra Credit" categories.

New round called One-on-One. Three categories are to be played. The team elects which of their players play each category. Each player from each team who chose the category they play will go head to head.

2-minute drill is now all hodgepodge. No subjects to choose from. The difficulty of the questions in 2-minute drill has increased.
Douglas Squasoni
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Thank god they made Cooper less annoying by having him interject less. also giving him actually funny material helps. I like the changes they made, especially having no categories in the 2 minute drill, also the material does seem a little harder., especially in the 2 minute drill. having the old EP of Wheel and Jeopardy Helps .