Capital One College Bowl

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Capital One College Bowl

Post by triviawayne »

AntmanB wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:24 pm Why is Cooper There? we dont really need funny in this. I know they are trying to reach a bigger audience, but honestly he wasnt all that funny. i think i only laughed like 3 Times.
What I can't understand about him being there is he is there for comedic moments, and the only "comedy" we get is how he is a big dumb jock and doesn't know things. Meanwhile, we are supposed to take the host seriously and feel he has credibility; and he is just another big jock.

This format also gives far too much weight to the speed round, and in that round it's really strange only one person gets to answer. Plus, for that speed round, instruction went by so fast I didn't catch how many bonus points the teams get for every set of five correct answers (he may have said it for the first match, but did not, or at least I didn't hear it for the second one). I had to rewind and check the score change when it happened to find it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

mas3cf wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:37 pm
Mario500 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:15 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:46 pm This would have completely slipped under my radar except that I caught a glimpse of an advertisement while fast forwarding through commercials and went "wait...what?". It premieres on NBC on June 22. Teams of three, Peyton Manning hosting, other information available through your favorite search engine.
"favorite search engine"?
Bing, obviously
(disagrees; expresses no preference for any "search engine")
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Mario500 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:53 pm
mas3cf wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:37 pm
Mario500 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:15 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:46 pm This would have completely slipped under my radar except that I caught a glimpse of an advertisement while fast forwarding through commercials and went "wait...what?". It premieres on NBC on June 22. Teams of three, Peyton Manning hosting, other information available through your favorite search engine.
"favorite search engine"?
Bing, obviously
(disagrees; expresses no preference for any "search engine")
I usually use Google. I'm surprised that my phrasing was noteworthy enough to elicit a comment.
AntmanB
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by AntmanB »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:30 am
AntmanB wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:24 pm Why is Cooper There? we dont really need funny in this. I know they are trying to reach a bigger audience, but honestly he wasnt all that funny. i think i only laughed like 3 Times.
What I can't understand about him being there is he is there for comedic moments, and the only "comedy" we get is how he is a big dumb jock and doesn't know things. Meanwhile, we are supposed to take the host seriously and feel he has credibility; and he is just another big jock.

This format also gives far too much weight to the speed round, and in that round it's really strange only one person gets to answer. Plus, for that speed round, instruction went by so fast I didn't catch how many bonus points the teams get for every set of five correct answers (he may have said it for the first match, but did not, or at least I didn't hear it for the second one). I had to rewind and check the score change when it happened to find it.
i dont mind peyton manning actually and yeah your right about the speed round.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Funny, given how much criticism all the Jeopardy guest hosts get, but I thought Peyton was terrible as a host. Slow, unclear enunciation, and his repeated use of “comin’ at’cha” really got to me. And having his brother on the show was pointless.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Both Peyton and Cooper (as well as Eli) are executive producers, so Cooper can probably get as much air time as he wants.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Question crossover of the week: The first U.S. senator to give birth in office, Tammy Duckworth. Also on The Chase this week.

Note to self:

Largest Tree == General Sherman
Tallest Tree == Hyperion
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey

Had no idea Mussolini could sing really well. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:35 am Question crossover of the week: The first U.S. senator to give birth in office, Tammy Duckworth. Also on The Chase this week.
Second crossover question of the week: Paella was on College Bowl and Jeopardy! this week.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Funniest wrong answer was Mussolini having cancer led to the Three Tenors. Wrong country, wrong decade, wrong all over.
mujason

Post by mujason »

Does anyone remember who did USC's alumni message on tonight's episode? I saw Aikman's UCLA message but somehow missed USC's.
-Jason
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

i dont think usc had one.

NHO Xavier College of Louisiana. i though they were talking about the One in Ohio.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Pro-Co-Viev :lol:
Douglas Squasoni
kromiumman

Post by kromiumman »

Leander wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:07 pm Funny, given how much criticism all the Jeopardy guest hosts get, but I thought Peyton was terrible as a host. Slow, unclear enunciation, and his repeated use of “comin’ at’cha” really got to me. And having his brother on the show was pointless.
Agreed. Peyton is TERRIBLE. And aside from Peyton and Cooper both detracting from the trivia, and every contestant responding "Peyton, we'll go with", my favorite-favorite part is how we spent the first five minutes of episode 2 discussing a football rivalry. On an academic competition show.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I watched half of the first one. That was enough for me.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:38 am I watched half of the first one. That was enough for me.
I think this is more of what the older generation may have been hoping for. They did open with a football rivalry, but it only took a few seconds. And Allen Ludden didn't need a wingman. Of course, the lack of diversity, stark though it looks now, must have seemed pretty normal in 1960.

I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

While understanding all of the negatives about the show, I still watch.

The quarterfinals have begun and it was just two schools for the full hour match.

Besides the howdies from alums from each school, the 7/13 ep. had good wishes from Karen Gearreald who was on the Agnes Scott team that upset Princeton in 1966.

This QFs add a new round, the dropout round, with this week the students trying to name the 23 cities that hosted the Summer Olympics, going back and forth team to team, player to player. Miss and you're out. The team that wins the round (last team with a player remaining) brings all three players to the 2-minute drill final round while the losing team has to decide which two players go to the end.
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:26 pm This QFs add a new round, the dropout round, with this week the students trying to name the 23 cities that hosted the Summer Olympics, going back and forth team to team, player to player. Miss and you're out.
Reminds me of Stump the Schwab.
buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Post by buckeyebrain »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:02 am
mas3cf wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:43 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:24 am Those questions were too easy.
My thoughts exactly. Also, I wish there were a rule against phrasing the response in the form of "We're going with..."
Agree on both. But they seem to be trying to reach a broader audience than Jeopardy or the old College Bowl. More of a sports show with the rivalries aspect, although I guess Ohio State didn’t want to play so we got Minnesota.
I was annoyed at all the rivalries, but not the inclusion of Ohio State vs The School Up North, but watching the episode, I realized why: So that Peyton could get Tony Dungy to do the shoutout.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 8/17 episode had good wishes from UCLA alum, Mayim Bialik, and USC alum, LeVar Burton. The Dropout Round was NBA teams. The student are still saying "Peyton" a ridiculous amount of times per episode when giving answers in the earlier rounds.