Monday, June 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 14, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Johnblue »

Nice job by SG. What a relief after last week! I’ve never watched her before but she’s very good here. I was rooting for Katie because I was on a trivia team with her in Vegas one time. Very nice person. The latter half of DJ was awful. ICC & Khayyam were especially surprising TSs. I guessed Monroe Doctrine because WECIB but I wasn’t very confident.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Bodies of Water, Playtimes's Over, Heavy, Mo Ricca, "Gh", Asian Lit :o
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: vodka, carrier, 2nd base, fumbles, Beau Brummel, masks, Plymouth, Rashomon DD, Omar Khayyam, Analects, Dag Hammarskjold (11200)
FJ: What is Monroe Doctrine? :mrgreen: 4th podium win.
could not pull slipshod, had Steve Jobs but clammed. :|
Haven't seen Cat Hammarskjold post in forever. :?:
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

It did seem strange to refer to the Monroe Doctrine as a "statement," but FJ was an instant get. The clue made me think of isolationism, which is a Pavlov for the Monroe Doctrine. I didn't think of laissez-faire, but I associate it with the 18th century.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I thought the FJ was fine and was shocked but not surprised when it proved a TS. I also thought Savannah did very well to keep her equilibrium amid such a shambles, considering it was her own debut.

ETA--Apparently India is the only right answer to Asian Literature & Drama $800, as Tagore wrote only the words/not the music to Bangladesh's national anthem. Still, that seems pretty deep for a second row clue. I'm curious how teapot37 fared with it.
Last edited by Lefty on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Holy crap, dunno how they got thru all 30 clues in J!, with that "mobituary" dude taking like 9 days to read each clue...
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

George AND Ira AND brothers for $2,000?

Surprised the FJ was a stumper; nice to start the week with a solve.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:43 pm No one knew the writer of the Rubáiyát? I am appalled! :)
I know him as the owner of a corundum pleasure boat...he wrote poetry too?!
Spoiler
RubyYacht.jpg
RubyYacht.jpg (44.83 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
Whisky was begging for a verbal BMS rather than an extended pause...

LF crossed my mind but refused to consider it as it's primarily an economic term. Figured Monroe Doctrine was closer to "statement" but it felt clunky.

Partially tempted to try hand at making a 4th podium poll...it's been a while...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lefty wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:57 pm ETA--Apparently India is the only right answer to Asian Literature & Drama $800, as Tagore wrote only the words/not the music to Bangladesh's national anthem. Still, that seems pretty deep for a second row clue. I'm curious how teapot37 fared with it.
Mention of the year it was written also pinned it. [edit: I was mistaken about the context of the year given.] I knew Tagore had written two national anthems (although I had Pakistan instead of Bangladesh as the other one), but figured India was the simpler response and what they'd want at that clue valuation.

Another laissez faire here.
Last edited by seaborgium on Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Good start by Savannah Guthrie. The contestant interview part was a bit rough but that's fixable.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

40R. 4/4 on big clues. Contemplated Monroe Doctrine and Laissez-Faire. Didn't sound like the Monroe Doctrine to me and thought Laissez-Faire fit better but I went with Monroe Doctrine because of the category and I was a bit surprised it was correct. 4th podium win for me.

Earlier today I coincidentally thought to myself that I always miss As Time Goes By and thought that I finally had that one locked away. I thought "No more 'uhh, that song from Casablanca and play it again, Sam', no, I know the name of that song now". So anyway I missed that one again.

Went 0/5 on PLAY TIME IS OVER. Surprised I did that poorly.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Pig-Pen, high sticking, the Walrus, The Analects, and slough.
morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 pm XX Lamentations (for Ecclesiastes) - weep, mourn, etc. I cry foul!
How do you feel about The Zombies?
squarekara wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:04 pm Maybe today's liquor category inspired it, but I propose a drinking game for Savannah's tenure: "You Got It!" 🍸
Real heavy on the "You Got It" in the J round but it seemed like she stopped doing it in the DJ round.

I thought she did a great job and that was the biggest issue.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:45 pm Whisky was begging for a verbal BMS rather than an extended pause...
I don't think they should ever give a verbal BMS. Let the contestant figure it out ... or not.

It's like in baseball when the runner slides in and misses home plate. The umpire just stands there -- no signal at all. It's up to the players to figure out what's going on.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:47 pm
Lefty wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:57 pm ETA--Apparently India is the only right answer to Asian Literature & Drama $800, as Tagore wrote only the words/not the music to Bangladesh's national anthem. Still, that seems pretty deep for a second row clue. I'm curious how teapot37 fared with it.
Mention of the year it was written also pinned it. I knew Tagore had written two national anthems (although I had Pakistan instead of Bangladesh as the other one), but figured India was the simpler response and what they'd want at that clue valuation.
1913 in tonight's clue refers to Tagore's Nobel prize. The Wikipedia article on the anthem gives 1911 as the year of the poem's first recital, and either 1911 or 1912 (it varies) for the first singing of the song.
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:53 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 pm XX Lamentations (for Ecclesiastes) - weep, mourn, etc. I cry foul!
Do you mean The Byrds?
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

econgator wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:56 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:53 pm
Do you mean The Byrds?
Oh, yeah.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Biggest LT smorgas-board I've had in quite a while: vodka 6 aircraft carrier 6 gin 10 fumbles 10 Beau Brummell 10
DJ: masks 4 Plymouth 4 Leyden 20 Rashomon (DD) 12 Omar Khayyam 16 Analects [read it in college] 20 Walrus 8 Steve Jobs ["I am the walrus! Goo-goo ga-Jobs!"] 20 Int'l Criminal Court 12 Dag Hammarskjold 20 for a total of 17800 and an easy win.
Of course I didn't pull FJ but matched the guy in the middle with "hands off."

If you're gonna bring up a poorly refereed Raiders play from the '70s, I'd rather it be the Holy Roller than the... I don't even like to type it.

Did Alex used to preface TS answers with "What is...?" I know we're used to players and viewers phrasing them like that, but it seems pointless for the host to do so. Still better than "We were looking for..." though.
Lefty wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:57 pmETA--Apparently India is the only right answer to Asian Literature & Drama $800, as Tagore wrote only the words/not the music to Bangladesh's national anthem. Still, that seems pretty deep for a second row clue. I'm curious how teapot37 fared with it.
Is teapot37 an anthem expert? Thought another boardie claims those as his purview.
In and out of the pool four times
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:43 pm No one knew the writer of the Rubáiyát? I am appalled! :)
Way to make 'em face the music, man.

My wife & I both thought exactly the same thing at the TS and responded simultaneously, though with the "Kai-yi-yi" at the beginning. Too far apart to punch each other in the arm, though.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

morbeedo wrote: Katie did it again! She's got the Final wagering down...
A small wager worked out for her tonight because she got it wrong but there was not much reason to hold back over $8000.

Caitlin should have bet exactly 9300, not a dollar more.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lefty wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:56 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:47 pm
Mention of the year it was written also pinned it. I knew Tagore had written two national anthems (although I had Pakistan instead of Bangladesh as the other one), but figured India was the simpler response and what they'd want at that clue valuation.
1913 in tonight's clue refers to Tagore's Nobel prize. The Wikipedia article on the anthem gives 1911 as the year of the poem's first recital, and either 1911 or 1912 (it varies) for the first singing of the song.
Yeah, I just noticed my mistake. I remembered a year in the clue and misremembered it as having been attached to the anthem rather than his Nobel Prize.
davey

Post by davey »

If the FJ seems awkward to some, it may be because the text is a little shortened-

It is still the true policy of the United States to leave the parties to themselves, in the hope that other powers will pursue the same course.
I guess the full quote goes over the character limit?
Still, if laissez faire were the intended response, I don't know who the "other powers" would be...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:54 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:45 pm Whisky was begging for a verbal BMS rather than an extended pause...
I don't think they should ever give a verbal BMS. Let the contestant figure it out ... or not.

It's like in baseball when the runner slides in and misses home plate. The umpire just stands there -- no signal at all. It's up to the players to figure out what's going on.
I like this analogy. Same thing after a passed ball on a third strike (swinging or not). Ump doesn't tell the runner they can try to steal first. I quit watching baseball a long time ago but I always despised the neighborhood play, phantom tag, and "ball beats runner, runner out play at first when the first baseman pulls his foot stretching for the throw". Why would a 'traditional' sport ever evolve so stupidly?

1) I like Mo Rocca. 2) Who composes the text of the clues for guests? 3) What were they thinking?

I've heard of Savannah Guthrie, but never seen her. She was OK, I didn't catch all the phrasing redundancy before. I have no idea how people choose a 'favorite' liquor. But I would drink butterscotch schnapps if it didn't have alcohol in it.

The big story is that FJ clue. I never learned that the Monroe Doctrine also conceded that the US wouldn't get all judge-y about what other countries are doing. I guess when you have a horror like slavery on your moral compass then you have no street cred to complain about other countries practicing cannibalism, or ethnic cleansing, or even playing soccer :o .
I tried to work out something with 'neutrality', or 'sovereignty', and never got there.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.