Friday, April 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MexiKen
Contributor

Re: Friday, April 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MexiKen »

Interesting that it seems most people insta-got Merkel but struggled with Sarkozy. I was the opposite. Had I been on the show, I would have written down "Who are Sarkozy and the Chancellor of Germany, dammit?"

Got that it was her but just couldn't come up with the name. Won't make that mistake again, though.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MexiKen wrote:Interesting that it seems most people insta-got Merkel but struggled with Sarkozy. I was the opposite. Had I been on the show, I would have written down "Who are Sarkozy and the Chancellor of Germany, dammit?"

Got that it was her but just couldn't come up with the name. Won't make that mistake again, though.
Can't speak for others, but it was less of a case that I was struggling with Sarkozy's name and more that I was struggling with him at all - you at least recognized the other half as being the Chancellor of Germany, but I didn't recognize the other half as the President of France (and I know that's Sarkozy) - it could very well have been her husband - heck the wording of the clue and the somewhat romantic setting of the picture made me think there was a romantic relationship between the couple in the picture for a while.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

PatMorrison
Contributor

Post by PatMorrison »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:I got it pretty quickly, but why the heck were they on a beach?
Location, Location, Location. Better places for photos.

And this three time into Friday drought continues. Joey shot himself good with that ill-advised DD wager in the JRound then the neg right after. This Tournament field is getting into that drought, and Francis & Patrick should be watching since they are two great champs currently on the bubble.

Instaget final.
Much obliged, though "great" seems like a bit of an overstatement for me (apt for Francis). Let's say "solid" with aspirations to be better than adequate.

PatMorrison
Contributor

Post by PatMorrison »

Vanya wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote: When Bing hit that DD, I didn't even realize he was that close to the lead. I thought Lisa was going to run away with it, and was practically chanting "August! August!" on her DD.
Dream clue for me, since August 1914 is my favorite novel, although I'm sure Light in August is more well known.
So of all the great Russian novels (let alone those in other languages), August 1914 is your favorite? :shock:

HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

:) Angela Merkel was the very first response that I gave during my audition mock game.

The clue: "This woman became the first elected female leader of a European country in 1979." (or something to that effect).

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

it's been a big week for harold pinter. first he was named MVP of my simulated baseball league, then he's a $2000 clue on jeopardy. sweet. then again, i didn't know the $1200 or $1600 in that category; hats off to lisa, who nailed both. too bad she couldn't convert her DD, as i thought she had the most impressive gets today. i'm a little chagrined (since i consider russian lit to be something of a wheelhouse for me) to say i'd never heard of solzhenitsyn's august, 1914. i came up with the right answer easily enough, but i thought the 2nd half was referring to a yeats poem (i may have been conflating "easter, 1916" with wordsworth's "london, 1802").

joey's DD was also interesting—i learned about (the elder) benjamin harrison from a 2nd-row clue in roger craig's ToC quarterfinal, but even if you didn't know it, given the information in the clue, i think you pretty much have to say "harrison" and hope not to be prompted. adams was, i suppose, the 2nd-best guess, but john adams himself was pretty famous for being part of the continental congress. he's the main character of 1776, after all.

i'll miss joey. he wasn't the most impressive 3-day champ of the season (i think that honor goes to patrick, despite his humble demurral), but he was fun to watch. i got a big kick out of his "jägermeister" grin/eyebrow waggle.

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

I looked August 1914 on amazon & it's apparently out of print. I suppose I'll have to see if my local library has a copy.

Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Onairb »

HugoZ wrote::) Angela Merkel was the very first response that I gave during my audition mock game.

The clue: "This woman became the first elected female leader of a European country in 1979." (or something to that effect).
'Since' 1979? Margaret Thatcher would have been correct for an election 'in' 1979.

HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Onairb wrote:
HugoZ wrote::) Angela Merkel was the very first response that I gave during my audition mock game.
'Since' 1979? Margaret Thatcher would have been correct for an election 'in' 1979.
Thus, a slightly ignominious start to an audition.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Someone at the Sony board was actually right about pointing out an error in this game: he noted that the VHF clue called its range 30 to 300 kilohertz; VHF is 30 to 300 megahertz!

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

jpahk wrote:adams was, i suppose, the 2nd-best guess, but john adams himself was pretty famous for being part of the continental congress. he's the main character of 1776, after all.
Misquoting 1776: "Sit down, Joon!"
Back in the pool

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jpahk wrote: joey's DD was also interesting—i learned about (the elder) benjamin harrison from a 2nd-row clue in roger craig's ToC quarterfinal, but even if you didn't know it, given the information in the clue, i think you pretty much have to say "harrison" and hope not to be prompted. adams was, i suppose, the 2nd-best guess, but john adams himself was pretty famous for being part of the continental congress. he's the main character of 1776, after all.
Shout out to 1776! Got me Josiah Bartlett without the West Wing TOM.

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Johnblue wrote:I looked August 1914 on amazon & it's apparently out of print. I suppose I'll have to see if my local library has a copy.
If not, Powell's has it.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Johnblue wrote:I looked August 1914 on amazon & it's apparently out of print. I suppose I'll have to see if my local library has a copy.
Does it have to be new? Paperbackswap has a few used copies. I can have one sent to you if you send me your snailmail addy.

HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

reddpen wrote:
jpahk wrote:adams was, i suppose, the 2nd-best guess, but john adams himself was pretty famous for being part of the continental congress. he's the main character of 1776, after all.
Someone oughta open up a window...

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

HugoZ wrote:
reddpen wrote:
Someone oughta open up a window...
The flies?

andreaborn
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by andreaborn »

jpahk wrote:it's been a big week for harold pinter. first he was named MVP of my simulated baseball league, then he's a $2000 clue on jeopardy. sweet.
And I'm seeing a Pinter play on Friday (The Caretaker)....

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm seeing 1776 later this month in Ford's Theater.