Monday, June 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, June 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MasterCone »

Rackme32 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:15 pm This might be interesting as a poll: I had never heard of any of those "common named" maladies... A couple were easy to tease out the correct response, but...

Avocado Hand?
Swimmer's Itch?
Grinch Syndrome?
Geographic Tongue?
Baby Wrist?

Nope, never heard of 'em.
I'm a dentist, so I've seen Geographic Tongue with quite some frequency (and we do almost always call it this although technically it is Benign Migratory Glossitis), but I would definitely not expect most others to have ever heard of it. I have never heard POTS referred to as Grinch Syndrome in all my medical education... seems sort of derogatory to me (not to mention the description in the clue of the cause of it is not actually accurate). The rest were deducible from the clue but aren't anything I've heard used as actual medical terms either.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

MasterCone wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:31 am
Rackme32 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:15 pm This might be interesting as a poll: I had never heard of any of those "common named" maladies... A couple were easy to tease out the correct response, but...

Avocado Hand?
Swimmer's Itch?
Grinch Syndrome?
Geographic Tongue?
Baby Wrist?

I'm a dentist, so I've seen Geographic Tongue with quite some frequency (and we do almost always call it this although technically it is Benign Migratory Glossitis), but I would definitely not expect most others to have ever heard of it. I have never heard POTS referred to as Grinch Syndrome in all my medical education... seems sort of derogatory to me (not to mention the description in the clue of the cause of it is not actually accurate). The rest were deducible from the clue but aren't anything I've heard used as actual medical terms either.
The category got some people worked up: https://www.aol.com/entertainment/jeopa ... 15464.html
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:57 am
The category got some people worked up: https://www.aol.com/entertainment/jeopa ... 15464.html
Hadn’t seen that, but not at all surprised. It was definitely a very problematic clue.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MasterCone wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:06 am
Hadn’t seen that, but not at all surprised. It was definitely a very problematic clue.
Yup. That was awful.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Rejected Webster because I did not think he was contemporaneous with Dickinson, but that was just sloppy clue parsing on my part. Another tally for Roget here.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Grinch syndrome

Post by Category 13 »

alietr wrote:
MasterCone wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Yup. That was awful.
I'd expect to see Savannah doing some groveling at the start of tonight's episode but it would have to be taped posthaste, with Savannah wearing the same outfit, etc... so maybe Michael RIchards makes a statement.
It'll be interesting to see how Sony Pictures handles it, if they do anything at all.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

The national institute of health Journal of the American College of Cardiology has used that term, along with many other sources. Maybe it could be noted to avoid the term in the future but “outrage” seems excessive.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2914315/
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:11 am
MasterCone wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:06 am
Yup. That was awful.
Maybe Dr. Oz slipped that clue in...
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

What do people here think about "A Brief History" for $800? They accepted "the War of the Roses". Should that have been negged in favor of the more usual "WarS of the Roses"? Googling the plural returns mostly results about the conflict. Googling the singular returns almost entirely results about the Douglas/Turner movie.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Jeopardy has had a few issues with clues in the past that got people upset and I don’t recall an on air apology.

Another Roget here.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Volante wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:22 pm

Avocado Hand?
Swimmer's Itch?
Grinch Syndrome?
Geographic Tongue?
Baby Wrist?

I've vaguely heard of Swimmer's, but apparently this article made a big impression on me as it's from over a year ago:
https://thetakeout.com/dangerous-slicin ... 1841429299

Got them from clue but only heard of Swimmer's Itch because I have eczema.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:48 pm 42R. 1/4 on big clues. Got Kennedy but missed the others. Said Roget.
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:01 pm I added Peter Mark Roget and Noah Webster to my list of things I get confused.
D'oh!

Tough game for me today. Said Robin Hood instead of The Lion King. I went 1 out of 2 for clues that I responded to with Robinhood.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Geographic Tongue (glossitis), ragtime, time immemorial, cry havoc, and safe as kittens.
CyrusChan wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:33 pm started the first 18/20 hot. didn't get the Bahamas DD, still can't find the answer on Google Maps
https://www.google.com/maps/@23.4288491,-82.0786604,11z

Not sure what the clue meant by "Mainland." They highlighted the area on a map so it was clear what they were going for but the text seems weird.
Felt they mentioned The Bahamas instead of Cuba to avoid social stigma. Thanks for providing the link.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Foretopman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:28 pm What do people here think about "A Brief History" for $800? They accepted "the War of the Roses". Should that have been negged in favor of the more usual "WarS of the Roses"? Googling the plural returns mostly results about the conflict. Googling the singular returns almost entirely results about the Douglas/Turner movie.
Either War of the Roses or Wars of the Roses should be acceptable. Lots of references to either. Didn't know that Wars of the Roses was the more common way to say it so I learned something new.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Just couldn't connect the dots here. I kept thinking the other work was literary for some reason.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:41 pm Or is this another thing where I need to have seen the right streaming show? Is it a part of the Apple TV+ series about her?
I watched all of Dickinson and no Websters appeared. Just Thoreau and Alcott.
davey

Post by davey »

Mathew5000 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:16 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:41 pm Or is this another thing where I need to have seen the right streaming show? Is it a part of the Apple TV+ series about her?
I watched all of Dickinson and no Websters appeared. Just Thoreau and Alcott.
It would be a mistake to look at Dickinson for historical information. The Crown, with some background in history, it's not. For instance I don't believe the poet ever met Thoreau or Alcott. It's not even clear whether she met Emerson when he stayed overnight at her brother's house.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

At the end of DJ, Emily was locked out and yet she didn’t hazard a guess on the Leyte clue. That $2000 would have broken the lock, even if the odds of guessing the right country were long
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Couldn't get Robinhood. Could not tell you any songs by Scandal.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni