FJs for the 4/2/12 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

What FJs did you solve correctly for the 4/2/12 week?

Poll ended at Wed May 09, 2012 4:55 pm

This Robert de Niro film is known in Italian as "Il Cacciatore"
25%
In 2005 a sculpture of an African elephant was installed outside this country's embassy in Washington, D.C.
12%
A. cavaticus, the scientific name for the barn spider, inspired the middle initial and last name of this character.
95%
The OED traces these two parallel terms to an October 20, 2000, "Today" show discussion of an electoral map
87%
Names of the pair seen here, who've been spending a lot of time together
74%
I got all five FJs correct :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
2%
I missed all five FJs :( :( :( :( :(
No votes
INTERNAL RHYMES $2000: Originally this term referred to ammunition fired at game to get food, today it means a critical remark.
44%
HUMAN BODY BITS $1200: A mass of nerve fibers, the pons is part of this, extending between the cerebral hemispheres & the spinal cord.
39%
KISSING $600: In a book by Ellen Schreiber, 16 year old Raven longs for a kiss from one of these, much in literary vogue.
79%
Joey's FJ bet on Thursday was great, if you like the category, go for it all.
20%
Joey's FJ bet on Thursday was foolish, never reduce your chance of winning, make the MSB.
52%

Total votes: 100

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: FJs for the 4/2/12 week

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:And sometimes they can pull some obscure fact out of thin air, like the Cubs on Catalina Island.
What bugged me about that clue wasn't the clue itself, it was Alex's practically saying "well, gee, Catalina was owned by the Wrigley gum magnate, what team do you *think* it would be? This is obvious, people!" I guess one man's (or game show host's) "obvious" is everyone else's "huh"? (Anyone remember what that one polled in the weekly poll? (Can't remember if we had a poll back then, but the Sony board was definitely around then ... )
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:What bugged me about that clue wasn't the clue itself, it was Alex's practically saying "well, gee, Catalina was owned by the Wrigley gum magnate, what team do you *think* it would be? This is obvious, people!"
This. Hell, he did that on the liederkranz clue. "Come on, you morons, what's the German word for song? 'Lied'. Lied-erkranz. How hard was that, huh?!"
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Bamaman wrote: And sometimes they can pull some obscure fact out of thin air, like the Cubs on Catalina Island.
I remember the FJ with the Variety headline "Wall Street lays an egg". I had picked that up from somewhere reading about the Great Depression and thought it was a well-known fact. :geek: Surprised to find that it ranked second only to Liederkranz in obscurity.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

jeff6286 wrote:I was conflicted on which poll choice to select regarding Joey's wager. I usually try to avoid statements like "never bet a dollar more than the MSB", but I'm pretty sure that I said something very similar to that in a recent game discussion. I don't have nearly as much of a problem with Joey's all-in bet as I do with cases where the leader bets just slightly more than the MSB, which is what Sahir did in the game StevenH linked to. Sometimes it's an extra $99 dollars as the leader bets to cover 2nd place by $100, and sometimes it just seems to be some number they picked out of a hat, and is enough to cover 2nd by $247 or $318 or some other seemingly random figure. (Sahir's was $299.) .
Checking yes on the poll isn't really saying "I would never bet more than the cover + $1 bet", is it? (As opposed to just saying "I would never put myself in a position where I'd have no chance of winning if wrong, when betting from the lead"). I wagered to finish with a round number just because I like round numbers, never even considering in which scenarios the "extra" $199 might cost the game. There's no way, though, that I'd ever bet it all from first, even if the category was "The Toronto Blue Jays".