Monday, July 11, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

paul5562
Valued Contributor

Re: Monday, July 11, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by paul5562 »

badscooter wrote:Hi, this is Damian from “tonight’s” game.

Let’s do it again tonight!
Congrats on the win, Damian

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Can't the Pope change the rules at the Vatican? He is the ultimate authority, right? (Well, maybe he did. His website says, "the Vatican has no comment on whether or not he brought his cats with him.") Anyway, in trying to solve this mystery, I found out that Pope Benedict XVI's parents met through a personal ad in a newspaper. Maybe too obscure for a Jeopardy clue but interesting trivia anyway.

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

oddsox wrote:Arabian vs Arabica question: It was definitely asking for the name of the coffee, and I was very surprised to see 'Arabian' accepted. Also in that category, got a frustrating wrong answer: 'berry' instead of 'cherry'. I've never heard coffee beans called 'cherries' before.
I'm not a coffee drinker, but I've been to Jamaica a few times, so I get to be a "mule" for Blue Mountain coffee when I go (among other things; don't worry, it's all legal).

Since Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is the stuff of legends, I've seen and read a lot about it. And yes, the term "cherry" is used for coffee beans a lot.

http://www.jamaicacoffee.net/Cultivation-Process.html (see the "harvesting" section for details)

Likewise, the good folks in Kona (where I'll be in a few months, thanks to some J! money) also use the term: http://www.kpfc.com/ And yes, I've got folks wanting me to play Pedro again.

Now, if someone can ask Juan Valdez what he thinks on the matter....

oddsox
Valued Contributor

Post by oddsox »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
oddsox wrote:Arabian vs Arabica question: It was definitely asking for the name of the coffee, and I was very surprised to see 'Arabian' accepted. Also in that category, got a frustrating wrong answer: 'berry' instead of 'cherry'. I've never heard coffee beans called 'cherries' before.
I'm not a coffee drinker, but I've been to Jamaica a few times, so I get to be a "mule" for Blue Mountain coffee when I go (among other things; don't worry, it's all legal).

Since Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is the stuff of legends, I've seen and read a lot about it. And yes, the term "cherry" is used for coffee beans a lot.

http://www.jamaicacoffee.net/Cultivation-Process.html (see the "harvesting" section for details)

Likewise, the good folks in Kona (where I'll be in a few months, thanks to some J! money) also use the term: http://www.kpfc.com/ And yes, I've got folks wanting me to play Pedro again.

Now, if someone can ask Juan Valdez what he thinks on the matter....
Interesting stuff! Thanks for the info.

cjstephens
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by cjstephens »

Christopher Stephens here, also no longer lurking. Congratulations again to Damian - I hope you enjoyed watching yourself. So much of the game was a blur to me that when I finally got to see it, I didn't remember answering half of the questions. Pope Pius? I knew that? Yikes.

While winning would have been great, I can rest assured that, when I appeared on national television, at least my hair looked good. That's what's important, right?

debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

mam418 wrote:...I knew Robespierre because (and I hestitate to admit this...) my parents used to have a cat named Robespierre. So, although the French Revolution wouldn't be my strongest catagory... I knew this one. :)...
I think Robespierre is an excellent name for a cat! But then, I'm a crazy cat lady and used to have one named Ibn Battuta (look him up - a famous Moroccan explorer shortly after the time of Marco Polo).

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

cjstephens wrote:Pope Pius? I knew that? Yikes.
I got it, but was lucky to do so. I knew the pope during WWII was named Pius, so I figured the one in the clue was him. But the clue was about Pius XI, who died in 1939 and was succeeded by Pius XII.

mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

debramc wrote: I think Robespierre is an excellent name for a cat! But then, I'm a crazy cat lady and used to have one named Ibn Battuta (look him up - a famous Moroccan explorer shortly after the time of Marco Polo).

Ooh, cool! Don't think I'd heard of this guy, but what an interesting life he had! (and also an excellent name for a cat. :D )

OrangeSAM
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OrangeSAM »

Arrrgh!! I can't believe I thought of Robespierre and then went with my wife's response Louis XVI! :oops: Should always go with my first idea!
OCSam

BoK

Post by BoK »

Alex made a comment about how all three contestants didn't notice the year, or something to that effect. Robespierre was killed in 1794 and Louis XVI in 1793. Is a 1 year difference really supposed to be a dead giveaway? Having known that Louis wasn't actually killed until a few years after the start of the revolution, but not knowing exactly how many, I found the year to be not-at-all helpful. Luckily, I got it from the "I am the people" quote, but as has been mentioned previously in this thread, that's not too far from "L'etat, C'est moi."

--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by --Pete »

Hi,
BoK wrote: Alex made a comment about how all three contestants didn't notice the year, or something to that effect. Robespierre was killed in 1794 and Louis XVI in 1793. Is a 1 year difference really supposed to be a dead giveaway? Having known that Louis wasn't actually killed until a few years after the start of the revolution, but not knowing exactly how many, I found the year to be not-at-all helpful.
I agree. The French Revolution isn't something that was started with a declaration and ended with a treaty. A lot of people were executed over a relatively short period. It would be nice to keep track of all of them and when they died. However, the one year discrepancy is not, at least to me, a major help.
BoK wrote: Luckily, I got it from the "I am the people" quote, but as has been mentioned previously in this thread, that's not too far from "L'etat, C'est moi."
The problem is that there are many actors in French history of that time. Aside from Louis XVI at the beginning and Napoleon at the end, no one stands out as especially noticeable -- most had, as we now say, their 15 minutes and either lost their heads or took a final bath. I think that the question was fair, though a bit obscure. I went with Louis for lack of a better choice coming to mind.

-Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Sorry to drag out such an old thread, but...

IT WORKED!!!!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote:Sorry to drag out such an old thread, but...

IT WORKED!!!!

Brian
I, on the other hand, got tricked up again. Fool me once... :roll:

Interesting side note, complete Robert Louis Stevenson category in this game.
On Sunday's GSN repeat...another RLS category ( http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=686 )

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

What worked? I don't get what you guys are talking about, or what this game had to do with Stevenson.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:What worked? I don't get what you guys are talking about, or what this game had to do with Stevenson.
I have no idea what Volante is on about, but I was rejoicing that my bot successfully updated the first post in the thread. I am now working on getting the second post to update in the same fashion before I release it to continue on its own.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:What worked? I don't get what you guys are talking about, or what this game had to do with Stevenson.
Oh, this was the Saturday Non-GSN repeat episode, so two episodes "in a row" had the same rare category. (Per the archive, four episodes have used it as a category.)

(Also, $%^& the #$%^&*!@#$%^s at my local affiliate who couldn't be arsed to push back everything a day to make up for tossing Tuesday's time slot into the circular filing cabinet thanks to the ruddy State of the Union... They did that for the freakin NBA finals or whatever...)

EDIT: Oh...I thought you were remarking you got the Final this time around because it was one of the trickier ones, so I was way off.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Excellent, Brian!

Volante

Post by Volante »

Ok...was the script update due to this being a repeat or was that just a totally random coincidence?

...and if it WAS because it was a repeat, and this WAS purely automatic, how the bloody hell did you pull that one off?!

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:Ok...was the script update due to this being a repeat or was that just a totally random coincidence?

...and if it WAS because it was a repeat, and this WAS purely automatic, how the bloody hell did you pull that one off?!
No. This is the first (chronologically) episode for which we have both a daily thread on this board (since the old board went away) and the entire game, including the interview segment, entered into the Archive. So, completely random coincidence.

Brian

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Is there someplace in the Archive where things like the opening remarks and interviews can be found, or are those only archived in the daily show threads?