Tuesday, July 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INVENTORS & INVENTIONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1899 James Atkinson patented his new & improved one of these, including its spring-powered snapping action

Tim Moon: 26200+18201=44401 (2x = $72,601)
Lauren Fisk: 8000+8000=16000
Alex Lamb: 22200-22200=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
a mousetrap (Alex – clothespin)

Daily Doubles
Tim: 800+1000
Alex: 10600+4000
Tim: 11400+10000

Coryats
Tim Moon: 17400
Lauren Fisk: 8000
Alex Lamb: 19800

Combined: 45,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Tim: 7000
Lauren: 2400
Alex: 4200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tim got DD1 and I think Alex, Ken & Buzzy would have managed to work in the author's name to be helpful to viewers who might not know it.

On DD2 Alex had me convinced he was going to miss it since he was taking so long to name someone. From there Alex built up his lead even more to a point where the only way he would not lead for the FJ! round was if Tim found and converted DD3.

How to keep Tim from doing that? Not by picking a $400 clue for the next selection or again later in the round at the top of DOUBLE DOUBLE LETTERS, the least likely category to have the DD. Alex did have higher value picks in categories where DD3 easily could have been. No luck for him to have the chance to put the game away.

Tim was also guilty of a top box selection, but fortune came his way to find the last DD. 11400 to 21000 to 6000 was the chance to go for the lead and Tim did that with 10 large. Alex still had chances to regain the lead since he was only 400 down instead of the possible 1800. Tim closed better to set himself up for another big pay day.

Warning: Those susceptible to earworms may want to skip past TUNE A FISH $400.

The players had an excellent combined Coryat though funny how the Biscayne-Atlantic beach clue was a stumper.

Not so much appearance, but in voice, Alex had me constantly hearing sad Toby from This is Us.

The FJ! category had me hopeful for someone/something I learned from Schoolhouse Rock! "Mother Necessity" while the clue did not go there.

Atkinson and the year meant nothing to me, so that left me, or so I thought, with only "spring-powered snapping action".

Nowhere close I was always picturing a heavy-duty vertical spring like in a pogo stick. Dismissing that and wanting to write something I put down shock absorber.

Oh, "new & approved" was the better path to a solve. I could only laugh when Lauren's response was shown as I instantly knew that was it. I get how easy this clue will be for some and I completely understand how Alex missed it.

Tim looked and acted like he was home free on the clue and he certainly was. Nice title defense.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I matched Alex.

You won't have to specify which Alex is speaking when you archive this game. Sigh. (ETA: Looks like I missed that there was an Alex a couple weeks ago.)
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

The $200 clue in OLD JOBS annoys me on two fronts.

First, linotype operators set type for weekly newspapers as well as for weekly and monthly magazines. Nothing in their work inherently made sure that something would happen "daily" -- and, indeed, when they worked on a daily publication their work simply made it possible for OTHERS to make sure that daily publications arrived daily.

Second, depending on how you parse the sloppy wording of the clue, you could plausibly read it as saying that these things -- newspapers -- are no longer needed because of computers, not that linotype operators aren't needed because of computers. Both may be true, but that's probably not what the clue-writers were going for. Happily, this little bit of sloppiness was easily overcome thanks to broader context, But wouldn't it have been more worthy of Art Fleming or Alex Trebek to word the clue a little better, perhaps something like:

Before computers did the job, linotype operators helped make these things that might land on your doorstep daily.
ACW

Post by ACW »

New and improved is oxymoronic, BTW.

Was that supposed to be a hint?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

ACW wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:08 pm New and improved is oxymoronic, BTW.

I don't think you can patent something that isn't new. So, yes, that was a clumsily worded FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

First think I thought of was bear trap, but that nudged me to where I needed to be.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

kept snappping my fingers and went with, staple gun because i own a few.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I, too, was thrown by "spring-powered snapping action" and couldn't even picture what it was describing.

George seems pretty good.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This was an exciting game to watch and Tim has Alex to thank in part for his big payday. I laughed as I solved FJ — well played by the writers! Since Alex didn’t solve FJ and Tim did, it’s moot, but Alex’s FJ wager made me groan.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Yes, it's a play on the adage, "Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door"
(Attributed to Emerson, but not actually Emerson's: https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bui ... etrap.html )

Least, that's my interpretation
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I said camera for FJ. My dad had it right away, and once time was up, he hinted me with, "The world beat a path to his door," and I had it.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

43R. 2/4 on big clues. FJ came to me right as time ran out but I wrote down watch and wouldn't have had time to fix it. Missed Emma and tried to guess Evangeline.

Tim had timid DD wagering yesterday but today he took control of the game with a large wager. Nice play by Tim to win a competitive match.

Missed Los Angeles and said Las Vegas. Missed Boulder and said Red Rocks. That's a park and amphitheater and not a city. Oops. Lots of easy clues that I could have picked up. Good opportunity to learn.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are lector, Ella Enchanted, Dover Beach/Matthew Arnold, sunspot, and red giant.

I didn't know there was a Broadway version of Spider-Man. I don't understand why there was a Broadway version of Spider-Man.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:30 pm

Yes, it's a play on the adage, "Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door"
(Attributed to Emerson, but not actually Emerson's: https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bui ... etrap.html )

Least, that's my interpretation
I guess it's been too long since I came across that adage...and I've certainly never used a spring-loaded mousetrap...I have used a stapler, though (mine has a quite satisfying snap), so that's what I said... :oops:
Last edited by davey on Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:41 pm I didn't know there was a Broadway version of Spider-Man. I don't understand why there was a Broadway version of Spider-Man.
Not only was there a Broadway version of Spider-Man, but it was the biggest fiasco to ever hit the Great White Way. The post-mortems are incredible.
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 ... l-disaster
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:41 pm Missed Los Angeles and said Las Vegas.
Me, too. It's not a bad guess as it's about the same distance to both (195 to LA, 225 to LV).