Friday, July 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Completed around 1455, it sometimes gets another name because a famous copy was found in the library of Cardinal Mazarin

Tyler Vandenberg: 12400-12400=0
Lois Doll: 8800+8800=17600
Josh Saak: 21600-3205=18395 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Gutenberg Bible (Tyler – Don Quixote) (Josh – Magna Carta)

Daily Doubles
Tyler: 3000+3000
Josh: 8800+5300
Josh: 14100+1900

Coryats
Tyler: 10200
Lois: 8800
Josh: 17200

Combined: 36,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Tyler: 7600
Lois: 2400
Josh: 8000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Long credits again for a plus in the George S. column who should not get anything below 7 tomorrow if voters keep their rating to J! only and avoid considering any outside opinions.

The Thoreau clue had me almost expecting the neg that happened. It's then only a matter of who's faster for the rebound.

DDs can make a difference. At DD2 Tyler led 14000 to 8800 and Josh jumped up to 100 ahead. The next pick was DD3 and this time he did 1900 for a 2000 lead which only increased before the FJ! round.

Lois drew an extremely difficult match and credit to her for being in the game until the end and not too far off from being able to capitalize on her sole solve even more than 2nd place money. The whole week was stacked and the non-winners easily could have won if picked for other weeks.

The FJ! clue had me stumbling around all over the place for the correct response from Domesday, Bayeux, Magna and finally matching Lois for the solve. At least I did not bring Mayflower Compact into the mix.

I knew nothing about Josh until after yesterday's game when for the first time I looked at the Friday lineup of contestants to enter names on my scoresheet for today. My first reaction was, "Whoa! That looks like a J! champ" Josh played well in not being thrown by Tyler doubling on DD1 and by later converting his own DDs.

Josh seems like the kind of player who can benefit from a night (or more?) to think about the game that just happened and be ready to play even better on the next taping day. Sometimes a player wins on day one and I suspect The Coryat, winning score, clues correct etc. may be the best the player has to offer. Today has me thinking Josh could possibly top his solid numbers with a game under his belt.

Robin Roberts on Monday and the 1-week total to beat of the last five guest hosts is: $147,396
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:48 pm
I knew nothing about Josh until after yesterday's game when for the first time I looked at the Friday lineup of contestants to enter names on my scoresheet for today. My first reaction was, "Whoa! That looks like a J! champ" Josh played well in not being thrown by Tyler doubling on DD1 and by later converting his own DDs.
He reminds me of Season 35 superchampion Kyle Jones.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lois needed at least $400 more, or for Tyler to have $400 more, entering FJ. If she had clammed on her after-only B&A response, or if Tyler had clammed instead of repeating the University of Mississippi, that would have done the trick. Or, to fully disappear into fantastical situations, if the scores had been swapped so the guy in the lead was the one with the established tendency to overwager on FJs by four-figure amounts, that could have saved the game for Lois.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

45R. 3/4 on big clues. Didn't get FJ. Couldn't come up with a good guess but wrote down Mona Lisa.

Missed Mill and guessed Mills. Missed Sherman and guessed Souza. Souza was not the superintendent of Louisiana State who resigned to "march."

This game may have influenced my opinion about whether or not one should hunt for daily doubles. Players picked top-down except for 3 clues and mostly started with the right side of the board in DJ. The game could have ended differently if the players selected differently. Tautology of the day.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Siegfried Line, B-17, Elvis Costello, Millennium Falcon Crest, divest, and Damon Runyon.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:48 pm Long credits again for a plus in the George S. column who should not get anything below 7 tomorrow if voters keep their rating to J! only and avoid considering any outside opinions.
Reminds me of the old Spartan/Lakonia joke: "Philip sent a message to the Spartans saying “If I invade Lakonia you will be destroyed, never to rise again.” The Spartans replied with one word, “If.”"
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey

Post by davey »

I'm not sure why I never heard of the famous Mazarin Bible, but I was not matching Gutenberg to a French cardinal... :oops:
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

It took me having to pause and analyze for a minute to do it, but I did get there on Final. I had to go Library of a Cardinal = religious book + 1455 = must be the Gutenberg Bible.

I was equally impressed with Josh. He's got the chops and he showed the buzzer speed, now let's see him prove his stamina during Robin Roberts' week. Though Alex would have been disappointed he flubbed the title of one of his favorite movies like many others have.
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I did put down the Gutenberg Bible, but I was somewhat perplexed that the exact year it was completed isn't known.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Another well played game. And Josh did impress on this win. I didn’t know what to do with this FJ clue. Mazarin only reminded me of the Sherlock Holmes story The Mazarin Stone. I didn’t put the date plus the religious angle together to get to the right answer.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

seaborgium wrote: Lois needed at least $400 more, or for Tyler to have $400 more, entering FJ. If she had clammed on her after-only B&A response, or if Tyler had clammed instead of repeating the University of Mississippi, that would have done the trick. Or, to fully disappear into fantastical situations, if the scores had been swapped so the guy in the lead was the one with the established tendency to overwager on FJs by four-figure amounts, that could have saved the game for Lois.
Or, if she (or Tyler) had gone for the easy layup rebound on the last 2000 clue.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:55 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:40 pm Lois needed at least $400 more, or for Tyler to have $400 more, entering FJ. If she had clammed on her after-only B&A response, or if Tyler had clammed instead of repeating the University of Mississippi, that would have done the trick. Or, to fully disappear into fantastical situations, if the scores had been swapped so the guy in the lead was the one with the established tendency to overwager on FJs by four-figure amounts, that could have saved the game for Lois.
Or, if she (or Tyler) had gone for the easy layup rebound on the last 2000 clue.
The way that clue played could have been one of those situations where a player gets ruled correct by the host, the judges say no, taping stops, and they do a pickup where they have the host rule the player incorrect and make the other two stand and stare. Or else they simply didn't hear Josh get the verb wrong and weren't going to ring in to seemingly repeat his incorrect response. So with those possibilities in mind, I wasn't willing to cite that as another way to achieve First < Second + Third.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I guessed Douay Bible, for sounding French. Of course, they were asking for the better-known name, which didn't particularly figure to be French. I also considered Vitruvian Man, but I thought Leonardo was probably a bit too young in 1455 (he was 3, as it happens). I was also sort of afraid that getting it right was going to hang on familiarity with "the Da Vinci Code".

Despite my struggles, I think the writing's been pretty good lately.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I hope Tyler can join us when we go out to do trivia nights. I'd take him on my team.

Since I've previously been critical about the closed captioning previously, it does seem like they've either gotten someone different lately, or they got their act together. They do seem like they're back to normal (i.e., reasonably accurate).
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

davey wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:56 pm I'm not sure why I never heard of the famous Mazarin Bible, but I was not matching Gutenberg to a French cardinal... :oops:
I'm not sure why ANYONE would have ever heard of the "famous" Mazarin Bible. But something that was "completed" in mid-15th century, with a "famous" copy owned by a cardinal, I was pretty comfortable guessing the Gutenberg Bible.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

John Boy wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:37 pm
davey wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:56 pm I'm not sure why I never heard of the famous Mazarin Bible, but I was not matching Gutenberg to a French cardinal... :oops:
I'm not sure why ANYONE would have ever heard of the "famous" Mazarin Bible. But something that was "completed" in mid-15th century, with a "famous" copy owned by a cardinal, I was pretty comfortable guessing the Gutenberg Bible.
I've heard of Mazarin before, but never knew that he had any relation to the Gutenberg Bible.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The Jeopardy rerun tonight is this episode, which means that two nights in a row, the middle contestant's interview has been about platelet donation.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Couldn't come up with Falcon Crest.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni