Monday, April 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, April 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by marpocky »

Snaxx wrote:
DWS wrote:I just about hurled something at the TV when Anne changed her wager on the last DD. I have no idea what she was trying to accomplish with that wager.
I also agree and suspect a moment of panic. The $2000 saved in case of being wrong did not make a difference since it looked like Doug would have kept her locked out. I wasn't a middle child, but I hate being in the middle on a close three-way game, since second usually has to cover third with a big wager that throws away a TS win possibility. So it was either go for the lead, or if you hate the category or $2K difficulty, maybe angle for a FJ TS by staying a close third and keeping a chance of winning in spite of a wrong response on the DD.
The ideal wager was between $6800 (to tie/take the lead) and $7600 (to have enough left over to have a chance of winning). Neither $6000 nor $8000 were great.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

teapot37 wrote:That one required you to know that Busey played Buddy Holly in the biopic. Luckily, I *did* know that. If you didn't, you were never going to pull that one out.
It was the widow's name that gave it to me - not familiar at all with Gary Busey's oeuvre (and what I am familiar with makes me wonder what drugs the casting director was on when he decided to cast Busey as Holly, and if he wants to share). My parents, being born at the start of the Baby Boomer era, have always been fans of Buddy Holly and similar music from that era, meaning I was exposed to it a lot as a kid.

Judges: would "ski-doo" be acceptable for "snowmobile"? (Here in Canada, we tend to use it as a genericized brandname (like "coke" for soda, "Kleenex" for fascial tissue, etc.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

marpocky wrote:
Snaxx wrote:
DWS wrote:I just about hurled something at the TV when Anne changed her wager on the last DD. I have no idea what she was trying to accomplish with that wager.
I also agree and suspect a moment of panic. The $2000 saved in case of being wrong did not make a difference since it looked like Doug would have kept her locked out. I wasn't a middle child, but I hate being in the middle on a close three-way game, since second usually has to cover third with a big wager that throws away a TS win possibility. So it was either go for the lead, or if you hate the category or $2K difficulty, maybe angle for a FJ TS by staying a close third and keeping a chance of winning in spite of a wrong response on the DD.
The ideal wager was between $6800 (to tie/take the lead) and $7600 (to have enough left over to have a chance of winning). Neither $6000 nor $8000 were great.
If she had bet $7,600 and gotten it wrong, she'd have had $3,600 left. How would that give her a chance to win?
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Back in January I suggested that Kirby Burnett's 3rd place pre-FJ score of $15,600 was the highest ever for regular play... well that didn't last too long! (Doug's $16,200 still doesn't beat Nick's and Stephen's totals from the 2010 ToC QF 2 though)
Last edited by cheezguyty on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alamble

Post by alamble »

dhkendall wrote:
teapot37 wrote:That one required you to know that Busey played Buddy Holly in the biopic. Luckily, I *did* know that. If you didn't, you were never going to pull that one out.
It was the widow's name that gave it to me - not familiar at all with Gary Busey's oeuvre (and what I am familiar with makes me wonder what drugs the casting director was on when he decided to cast Busey as Holly, and if he wants to share). My parents, being born at the start of the Baby Boomer era, have always been fans of Buddy Holly and similar music from that era, meaning I was exposed to it a lot as a kid.
The Buddy Holly Story was released in 1978 - long before Busey's acting career degenerated into a punchline. Back in the day, the man could act.

I wonder if they would have been forced to accept "Open Championship" for the "British are Coming" clue that was asking for the golf tournament, as the R&A formally refers to the tournament as such. It's only us uncouth Yanks who muck it up.
davey

Post by davey »

alamble wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
The Buddy Holly Story was released in 1978 - long before Busey's acting career degenerated into a punchline. Back in the day, the man could act.

I wonder if they would have been forced to accept "Open Championship" for the "British are Coming" clue that was asking for the golf tournament, as the R&A formally refers to the tournament as such. It's only us uncouth Yanks who muck it up.
I'm surprised so many are unaware of what is not only Busey's most significant role (I don't count being a nut) but one for which he was nominated for an Oscar. And a damn fine picture.

"Open Championship" doesn't fit the category...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Wow, if I can run San Francisco Attractions, then you know you have an easy board. As usual, FJ made up for it. Tried to think of a musician who was on Capital Records that died recently, answered George Harrison. It's my theorem that if the boards are easy, FJ will be difficult; and if the boards are hard, FJ will be kids' level.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

alietr wrote:Congratulations, Doug! Well done! Personally, I was quite surprised that was a TS. Pretty much an instaget here.
All that.
dhkendall wrote:Judges: would "ski-doo" be acceptable for "snowmobile"? (Here in Canada, we tend to use it as a genericized brandname (like "coke" for soda, "Kleenex" for fascial tissue, etc.)
Tough call. I think the J! people would neg you, though you're right it's pretty much entered kleenex, aspirin, and thermos territory.
Swept math easily and anagrammed Europe though the second clue slowed me a bit.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DBear wrote:It's my theorem that if the boards are easy, FJ will be difficult; and if the boards are hard, FJ will be kids' level.
Seems to be the case with me too. I mean, that game last week where I got only one clue right on the whole board had a kids' week FJ!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

The Hollywood Walk of Fame
His widow Maria Elena & actor Gary Busey were on hand when his star was dedicated outside Capitol Records in 2011.
Spoiler
Who is Buddy Holly? Doug said Ritchie Valens; Anne said Ice T; Bing said Frank Sinatra
Bing Huo: $18,000-$16,401=$1,599
Anne Raybon: $17,200-$16,201=$999
Doug Lloyd: $16,200-$3,800=$12,400...now a 1-day champion with $12,400
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

Snaxx wrote:
DWS wrote: The shocking stand-and-stare of the day was Roy Halladay's team in 2010.
Halladay used to be the stud on my fantasy team before he moved to the National League. For me he was Pavlovian for "Toronto Blue Jays." I was marking it a triple-stumper I picked up, til Mr. Trebek stopped my pen cold. "Postseason" should've taken me in the right direction.
Ultimate insta on the FInal. I too am very surprised it was a triple-stumper. "Valens" was not a terrible guess if you didn't know.
Last edited by thejeopardyfan on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:
marpocky wrote: The ideal wager was between $6800 (to tie/take the lead) and $7600 (to have enough left over to have a chance of winning). Neither $6000 nor $8000 were great.
If she had bet $7,600 and gotten it wrong, she'd have had $3,600 left. How would that give her a chance to win?
(scores if she had bet $7,600 and missed)
Bing $18,000
Doug $16,200
Anne $3,600

I think what marpocky was going for was that Bing's shutout wager would have been $14,401, which would have left him with $3,599, so with that score Anne could have bet nothing and still beaten Bing. Actually, she could have been left with as little as $1,800 and still doubled her score to beat Bing if he made the MSB and missed. However, in either case, there was no reason for Doug to bet enough to fall to a low enough score for her to win.

(the scores pre-DD)
Bing $18,000
Doug $16,200
Anne $11,200

Really, if she wasn't going to bet for the lead, she should have bet no more than $3,100, which would have left her at $8,100 on a miss, exactly half of Doug's score, which may have at least tempted him to bet $0 in FJ and given her the chance to double up and tie him if Bing missed.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Gary Busey was injured in a motorcycle accident & suffered brain injury. He was quite good in the BH biopic. I knew that FJ cold. Easy game with quite a few TS's or so it seemed.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

I'd be interested to know the age distribution of the people who got FJ vs the people who didn't. I was barely alive when the Buddy Holly movie came out and when FJ came on today I found that I couldn't name a single Gary Busey role.

The writers should be embarrassed by that math category - kids week stuff.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

I got FJ immediately. I went to school with Gary Busey, and I'm more familiar with his career than I like to admit.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

DBear wrote:Wow, if I can run San Francisco Attractions, then you know you have an easy board. As usual, FJ made up for it. Tried to think of a musician who was on Capital Records that died recently, answered George Harrison. It's my theorem that if the boards are easy, FJ will be difficult; and if the boards are hard, FJ will be kids' level.
I dunno...I thought the board was easy...and FJ was easier. Could not believe it was a TS
Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

cheezguyty wrote:Back in January I suggested that Kirby Burnett's 3rd place pre-FJ score of $15,600 was the highest ever for regular play... well that didn't last too long! (Doug's $16,200 still doesn't beat Nick's and Stephen's totals from the 2010 ToC QF 2 though)
Wait, seriously? Wow. Well if that's the case I'd also like to chime in that it's a natural $16,200! Unaided by DD's and the like!

Fun bit of trivia? Both Jerome Vered and Cliff Galiher were in the audience, separately, for two of the other contestants on this week. That was...kind of awesome.

Thanks for the kudos folks. It was so much fun to watch, although when I got home I was dismayed to find that my DVR suffered a "recording error." Thankfully I think my in-laws have got it covered but if anyone else saves these things and wants to burn me a DVD of it, I'd be your eternal friend.

I'll try to have those ol' DVR "recording errors" resolved by tomorrow's episode!
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If you're going to go into FJ in second place, better to be closer to first than to third, so that you end up ahead of first if you both get FJ wrong on wagers to cover the next trailing player. So that's the silver lining on Anne's DD wager. (Then she squandered a second place finish by overwagering on FJ.)
DBear wrote:It's my theorem that if the boards are easy, FJ will be difficult; and if the boards are hard, FJ will be kids' level.
So, for example, if two players enter FJ with $200 after the Lach Trashiest DJ round of the season, FJ can be expected to be simple?
Doug527 wrote:Fun bit of trivia? Both Jerome Vered and Cliff Galiher were in the audience, separately, for two of the other contestants on this week. That was...kind of awesome.
Cat Still (air date 4/13) is a pub quiz friend of Jerome, Cliff, and me. I think Jerome was there for her; I don't know who Cliff was there for.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

goforthetie wrote:I'd be interested to know the age distribution of the people who got FJ vs the people who didn't. I was barely alive when the Buddy Holly movie came out and when FJ came on today I found that I couldn't name a single Gary Busey role.

The writers should be embarrassed by that math category - kids week stuff.
I am 20. For the record I am familiar with both Buddy Holly and his music.

Congrats to Doug. When was the show taped?
Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

JFanForever wrote: Congrats to Doug. When was the show taped?
This taped on December 14.
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.