Monday, April 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, April 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Doug527 wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote: Something that might come up, maybe in a TOM-filled FJ!? There are two stars with the same name, honoring different people. The name?
Spoiler
Harrison Ford
That one cost my pub quiz team a game once, so when in LA for taping, I made a point of finding both stars (as well as Alex Trebek's, which I touched for "good luck")
I believe
Spoiler
Michael Jackson
also works for this hypothetical clue, as I believe it was reported that many people were congregating at the "wrong" star upon the more notorious individual's death.

Edit: See here.
Interesting, thanks. I guess the pub quiz question probably asked for two honored *actors* with the same name.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Turd Ferguson wrote:Something that might come up, maybe in a TOM-filled FJ!? There are two stars with the same name, honoring different people. The name?
Spoiler
Harrison Ford
That one cost my pub quiz team a game once, so when in LA for taping, I made a point of finding both stars (as well as Alex Trebek's, which I touched for "good luck")
See, now THAT explains it.

While Mrs. H and I were waiting at the airport to go out to LA, we saw a story on TV that involved Elton John's star. Later, on a whirlwind bus tour of LA, I happened to look down as we were walking, saw Elton's star, and touched it for good luck.

Apparently, Alex trumps Elton for quiz shows. You're just lucky that we weren't on American Idol.*

- HackenBusey

* Several million people who enjoy their sense of hearing are probably lucky too (at least as far as my talent goes).
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

seaborgium wrote:If you're going to go into FJ in second place, better to be closer to first than to third, so that you end up ahead of first if you both get FJ wrong on wagers to cover the next trailing player. So that's the silver lining on Anne's DD wager. (Then she squandered a second place finish by overwagering on FJ.)
DBear wrote:It's my theorem that if the boards are easy, FJ will be difficult; and if the boards are hard, FJ will be kids' level.
So, for example, if two players enter FJ with $200 after the Lach Trashiest DJ round of the season, FJ can be expected to be simple?
Doug527 wrote:Fun bit of trivia? Both Jerome Vered and Cliff Galiher were in the audience, separately, for two of the other contestants on this week. That was...kind of awesome.
Cat Still (air date 4/13) is a pub quiz friend of Jerome, Cliff, and me. I think Jerome was there for her; I don't know who Cliff was there for.
I think he was there for Cat as well.
Anne 4/9/2012
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Anne 4/9/2012 »

Hello.

Re: the game.

I'd gone to Jeopardy with the plan of betting 2/3 if I got a DD. I knew I would not be able to strategize in the moment, and I know females often do weak bets on DD and FJ.

Ice T--hah--I had about 2 seconds left to write something--Ice T has 4 letters, so I could write it fast, and it was kind of funny. Did NOT want the blank screen.

Doug and Bing are great guys!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Welcome to the board and congrats on doing so well, even though you got stuck with a tough FJ.