Thursday, July 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, July 29, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This Colombian port of 1 million people gets its name from Phoenician for "New Town"

Matt Amodio: 44000+30000=74000 (7x = $268,800)
Dana Rosner: 4400-0=4400
Bryan Cracchiolo: minus 1200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Cartagena (Dana – Bogota)

Daily Doubles
Matt: 5000+5000
Matt: 15600+2000
Matt: 20400+2000

Coryats
Matt: 39000
Dana: 4400
Bryan: minus 1200

Combined: 42,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 15200
Dana: 1200
Bryan: minus 400
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Except for Matt, the game was a total disaster.

Not sure who had it worse, the challengers or Burton. It took me couple of clues to recover from the Carnegie clue debacle. When is his supposed improvement?

Oh Bryan - you had the luxury of watching Matt play and still go for 400$ to start DJ? That too in the most unlikeliest category to have a DD.

Might seem harsh but really bad play from challengers. It didn't even seem like they were trying in the last half of DJ.

Matt could have tried for non-James high score. Oh well.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That was one of the all-time performances ever on J! Matt not LeVar.

The guest host is still having problems. That is as basic as it gets to know there is only one DD in the J! round. There was a delay from the end of chat to calling on Matt for having control of the board. LeVar was too slow to accept the rich Scottish guy as correct. Sure it's nitpicking, but those types of things are there.

On the positive side the overly-enthusiastic near-yelling was toned a bit today, thank goodness.

Matt bet it all on DD1. As he should.

DD2 was 15600 to 1200 to minus 400. 2000 kept Matt's lead way safe while 10000 would have reasonable as well. Let's give Matt that extra 8000 I suggest to put it at 28400 for DD3 instead of 20400. Matt once again did the safe 2000 with Dana all the down at 2800 and Bryan still (there at every DD and round's end) in the red.

Let's make Matt's wager 18400 to possibly drop to 10000 if wrong. That's 16400 more for the FJ! round. 60000 or so with Dana possibly getting to 8800 leaves Matt room to bet 50000, so he could have done six figures today, but the one-day mark was safe with the DDs played too early.

The FJ! clue had me trying my best to miss it. I ruled out Dana's miss as I figured the capital had to have more people. My brainstorm game of name cities in Colombia only yielded me Medillin as I was having trouble working out the spelling of Medellín.

Popuation? No idea. "New town"? I was not seeing it so I kept thinking. Phoenician? So not Spanish. I must be wrong as Medellín sounded Spanish in my head. Phoenician? What do I have there? Oh! Oh! Scribbling with my pen as fast as I could and having no time to consider spelling I got it right as having an H instead of a the G does not matter.

Small credit to Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner from 1984 for slightly helping me be aware of the city's name.

Through a Reddit post from Saya, she shared that the lunch break came after game 2 this week as the first two took a long time to complete. That meant yesterday was Matt's post-meal game and not today's match.

The Bucks won the Finals and the NBA preemptions are over? Nope, NBA Draft on ABC tonight.
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:52 pm Small credit to Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner from 1984 for slightly helping me be aware of the city's name.
For me, the movie made it an insta get. Without it, cant even be sure it’s a solve. The movie made it very clear it was a port city.

Perhaps a poll question.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

No chance of getting FJ. Yesterday and today have both had deep-cut J-Canon geography clues that I had no hope of getting. Yesterday's (no spoiler) can be found in the most recent edition of Steven Ferrill's Game Show Trivia, but this FJ isn't in there. Something to add to the 8th edition.

Matt has a very good chance of becoming the first person to play Jeopardy under 3 different hosts.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Penultimate Burton: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7107

What's Allen? I thought you can't take it with you.

Thank you to whoever for the correction suggestions to help clean up the game.
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

A long ago cruise that never happened (shipyard delivered the ship two months late) that was supposed to stop there plus knowing Bogota is at high altitude (over 8,500 feet) made it a WECIB for me.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Phoenicia-->Carthage-->Cartagena. Done :mrgreen:
How have TPTB managed to find so many challengers that appear to have not watched the Holzhauser run? :?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Best I could do was "Not Bogota".

I definitely know Cartagena from Sid Meier's Pirates!, but it wasn't coming to me.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Golf wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:58 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:52 pm Small credit to Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner from 1984 for slightly helping me be aware of the city's name.
For me, the movie made it an insta get. Without it, cant even be sure it’s a solve. The movie made it very clear it was a port city.

Perhaps a poll question.
Never watched the movie. Yeah Bogota, Medellin, and Cali not coastal cities. felt this would be a hard grab for many.

They should add the part that it is named after the city in Eastern Spain, which was after Carthage.

I hope tomorrow gets my first 5/5 this year.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:52 pm That was one of the all-time performances ever on J! Matt not LeVar.

The guest host is still having problems. That is as basic as it gets to know there is only one DD in the J! round. There was a delay from the end of chat to calling on Matt for having control of the board. LeVar was too slow to accept the rich Scottish guy as correct. Sure it's nitpicking, but those types of things are there.

On the positive side the overly-enthusiastic near-yelling was toned a bit today, thank goodness.

Matt bet it all on DD1. As he should.

DD2 was 15600 to 1200 to minus 400. 2000 kept Matt's lead way safe while 10000 would have reasonable as well. Let's give Matt that extra 8000 I suggest to put it at 28400 for DD3 instead of 20400. Matt once again did the safe 2000 with Dana all the down at 2800 and Bryan still (there at every DD and round's end) in the red.

Let's make Matt's wager 18400 to possibly drop to 10000 if wrong. That's 16400 more for the FJ! round. 60000 or so with Dana possibly getting to 8800 leaves Matt room to bet 50000, so he could have done six figures today, but the one-day mark was safe with the DDs played too early.

The FJ! clue had me trying my best to miss it. I ruled out Dana's miss as I figured the capital had to have more people. My brainstorm game of name cities in Colombia only yielded me Medillin as I was having trouble working out the spelling of Medellín.

Popuation? No idea. "New town"? I was not seeing it so I kept thinking. Phoenician? So not Spanish. I must be wrong as Medellín sounded Spanish in my head. Phoenician? What do I have there? Oh! Oh! Scribbling with my pen as fast as I could and having no time to consider spelling I got it right as having an H instead of a the G does not matter.

Small credit to Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner from 1984 for slightly helping me be aware of the city's name.

Through a Reddit post from Saya, she shared that the lunch break came after game 2 this week as the first two took a long time to complete. That meant yesterday was Matt's post-meal game and not today's match.

The Bucks won the Finals and the NBA preemptions are over? Nope, NBA Draft on ABC tonight.
I thought it was always 2 games, break, and then the 3.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

James's highest Coryat was "only" $38,200. Ken's was "only" $37,000. Just saying.
I'm too lazy to look, but is $39,000 the highest ever?
Hoping for a third lap
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

I was taught never to kick a man while he's down, but it's been really tough with Levar. And I grew up watching him on Reading Rainbow.

Thought Bogota was too obvious so I went with the only other Colombian city I could think of, Cartagena, not really expecting it to be correct.

Matt is a machine.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

sarisson wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:45 pm James's highest Coryat was "only" $38,200. Ken's was "only" $37,000. Just saying.
I'm too lazy to look, but is $39,000 the highest ever?
Ken had a 39,200 in this game. Highest recorded, per The J! Fan website. I have to wonder if Matt sees these stats and kicks himself over not knowing "Tyler" or negging with "Allen" like I did at home.. :lol:. I forgot he passed a few years back.

Congrats to Matt, by the way. There aren't many superlatives that give justice to that performance.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I didn't think that it was right but I had to go with Medellin on FJ, since it's the only Colombian city I know besides Bogota. I've been to the Cartagena in Spain, but I had no idea that there is one in Colombia.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

All I can say is: WOW!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

DBear wrote:How have TPTB managed to find so many challengers that appear to have not watched the Holzhauser run?
It reminds me of the 1987 NFL season when some team with a lot of scabs would play a full squad of replacement players.
He may have an advantage with superior buzzer speed but I believe he has also drawn more than his share of mediocre challengers. Makes me wonder if the contestant pool is a bit dry for hot players.

Like Mark B elaberated, Matt always throttles back on his DJ bets when he sees he's got 3-4 times his nearest competitor, or his total exceeds 20,000. Then he just sits down on his lead. I'd like to see an exibition match between him and Holzhauer, or Alex Jacob.

Also, I'm getting annoyed by him playing the board horizontaly, even after the DDs are gone.
My best wheelhouse category, Beatles Songs, was hung out to dry for ten clues at a time due to being positioned in the first column. Same quandry applies to the category in the far right column.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:54 pm
Also, I'm getting annoyed by him playing the board horizontaly, even after the DDs are gone.
I understand it given how many clues were left over during LeVar's first couple of days. He's trying to maximize the value of what clues we do see.