Tuesday, April 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by barandall800 »

Great to see you back, Mark! :)

(Random game thoughts: My younger sister, who usually doesn't sit down to watch, did today and was quite impressed by Amy...she was rooting for her the whole game. Doug, I wasn't able to see your win yesterday, but you did very nicely today and it's a shame that DD didn't work out for you. You came off as very confident and focused throughout, and that's to be applauded.)

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Easy FJ again. I must confess to missing half the show & deleting it before coming here & realizing so many questions went unnoticed by me. what I did catch seemed easy & the winner never seemed in danger. I hope she lasts a while.

Sage on the Hudson

Knute Gingrich, pigskin prophet

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Lots of clams (see what I did there?), including 3 in Ballet. I, too, thought "one of these" would be a body part, and was wondering what else could be lifted over the head with one hand if it wasn't leg or foot.

The correct response is a bale of cotton.

Nobel Peace Prize briefly came to me… somehow… but I was far too uncertain to lock it in, and "three naked men" didn't suggest peace to me. Nor did, you know, anything else in the clue.
To me "three naked men" suggests Client 9, Elliott Spitzer, and two of his fellow clients.

ACW wrote:EDIT: Swept coaches 8-)
Hint: Any time a question about coaches involved ND, it's Knute Rockne.
And is always pronounced "KA-noot ROCK-nee."

[

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I think with the cotton clue the writers might have wanted you to think about Eli Whitney and the cotton gin being able to mass produce cotton. I blurted out "tobacco" when I saw the clue, but if I had thought about it for a few seconds I might have switched to cotton.

whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Since you asked, I agree with betting everything on your DD. Congrats on your win.

New champ played great today, and I'll be interested to see if she plays the same way tomorrow. This may be stupid, but I had the sense that the TDD in the first round had something to do with the category being toys. And then it's a lot easier to make the big bet in the 2nd round with the big lead. So I loved the strong play today, but it may have been mostly situational (or maybe she's just a beast, we'll find out in the next show or shows).

Edit: I should say that she had some good gets and kept the negs down, so there's no reason that couldn't continue. Also, the comparison to Kendra made me look back and remember that she loses if not for that dude's wagering error, so he basically gifted her 61K (and probably took about that much out of his own pocket). Oops. (Hopefully that guy's not a lurker here, if so, sorry man)

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Good to see you back and recuperating, Mark!

Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

This is bizarre. I just got back from a doctor's appointment where I was told I need to get my cholesterol down or I am at risk for pancreatitis. I'd never heard of that before and wasn't sure if it should worry me or not. Then I come to this message board to find a discussion of it. Someone must be trying to send me a message!

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

jaxjags wrote:I kicked myself after not thinking of Herb Brooks in time. I precalled Steinbeck in the last book category then didn't even get it right (at least I had heard of the book). Got FJ, couldn't think of any other award from a Scandinavian country that wasn't the Nobel Peace Prize
Same here. I kept thinking --- "oooh, that guy played by Karl Malden that fell asleep while driving..." and time was up. (And no, although I own the Kurt Russell version of the story, I've only seen snippets.)
StevenH wrote:I think with the cotton clue the writers might have wanted you to think about Eli Whitney and the cotton gin being able to mass produce cotton. I blurted out "tobacco" when I saw the clue, but if I had thought about it for a few seconds I might have switched to cotton.
That time frame was all about slavery, abolition, and the leadup to the American Civil War. And cotton was king, and needed lots of slaves. (Tobacco used slaves, yes, but not so much. Plus Virginia, Kentucky, and North Carolina were the tobacco growers; darn near everywhere else in the future Confederacy grew cotton.) Then again, it helps to be an Alabama native.

Was doing mental flips on the FJ -- wondered if "Nobel Prize" (without "Peace") was acceptable, but decided it wasn't, and went with the full name.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Was doing mental flips on the FJ -- wondered if "Nobel Prize" (without "Peace") was acceptable, but decided it wasn't, and went with the full name.
Although for our purposes, as we never heard the all-important "be very specific" instruction, I'd allow just "Nobel Prize".

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Was doing mental flips on the FJ -- wondered if "Nobel Prize" (without "Peace") was acceptable, but decided it wasn't, and went with the full name.
Although for our purposes, as we never heard the all-important "be very specific" instruction, I'd allow just "Nobel Prize".
Except there's only one Nobel Prize that meets the description of that clue - both in terms of how the medal looks, and who gives it out.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Austin Powers wrote:Except there's only one Nobel Prize that meets the description of that clue - both in terms of how the medal looks, and who gives it out.
Except except that there is a Nobel Prize that does fit the description. It frankly would be a tough call without the BMS.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

alietr wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Except there's only one Nobel Prize that meets the description of that clue - both in terms of how the medal looks, and who gives it out.
Except except that there is a Nobel Prize that does fit the description. It frankly would be a tough call without the BMS.
That's fine. I'm going to credit myself for the Ivory Coast one since my answer, after all, was an African country.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

And I'm not trying to be snide, but these awards share a name - but they are given for different reasons by different organizations. There's no reason to think we can generalize about them.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:And I'm not trying to be snide, but these awards share a name - but they are given for different reasons by different organizations. There's no reason to think we can generalize about them.
I understand that, but the contestants had information that we did not.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:And I'm not trying to be snide, but these awards share a name - but they are given for different reasons by different organizations. There's no reason to think we can generalize about them.
I understand that, but the contestants had information that we did not.
We are also playing at home where it is more relaxed - should we dock some off our Coryats because in the real game we'd have nerves? You can't control for every variable, and, besides, probably quite a few questions have that extra help - we just happen to have a contestant here to mention this one instance. And when it's all said and done, if Maggie doesn't provide that extra info, the question still exclusively points to the Peace Prize and the Peace Prize only.

HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Clue: Michael Phelps won 8 of these in Beijing in 2008.

Response 1: What are Gold Medals?
Response 2: What are Gold Medals in Swimming?

Is R1 incorrect without a preemptive BMS?

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

HugoZ wrote:Clue: Michael Phelps won 8 of these in Beijing in 2008.

If I had a preemptive BMS, I'd answer 'Gold Medals' instead of 'Medals'.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

HugoZ wrote:Clue: Michael Phelps won 8 of these in Beijing in 2008.

Don't think that is an apt comparison at all - for starters you are comparing eight of something versus one specific thing. Are the swimming medals otherwise different?

A better example would be the Pulitzer Prize. "Edith Wharton won this for The Age of Innocence" is plausibly just the Pulitzer Prize.

On the other hand, "Edith Wharton won this for The Age of Innocence, just three years after Ernest Poole was the first winner of this award in 1918" points exclusively to the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, or for the Novel as it was originally called.

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Welcome back Mark, have fun deciding what a "nobel prize" response constitutes in the weekly poll..

billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

The Peace prize medal is also the only one designed by Vigeland, if that helps.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.